2017 Nov - ARA San Juan submarine lost

Yes, it does. I was only clarifying that there was nothing communicated in the “calls”.

Hopefully they will be found safe and sound. I’ll follow this thread to see if there is anyway I can help remotely using Tomnod.

Thank you very much!

Not to dampen hopes, but this is one of the latest reports.

Waves in area are 2 stories high. (A story is around 10 feet or 3 m… or higher.)

7 countries searching. USA using underwater sonar.

Authorities now questioning whether the calls were from the sub.

Perhaps you are right, but also is true that in the past this kind of Images worked. For example, you can read this article:

This is the satellite image where the boat was was found: image

Best regards,
Juan

Hi @JUAN_D

That was a surface search.

All indications so far is that the sub is under the water, not on the surface. As I have explained, there has been significantly high seas (20 ft waves) and winds described as fierce. Subs in those conditions are better off underwater. However, no one knows if the sub can even surface or if equipment they need to surface has been damaged.

What is certain is that 7 countries are searching using ships, airplanes, sonar and sophisticated listening devices. The ocean in that area is extremely deep.

It is understandably extremely frustrating to want to help, but perhaps not be able to help. :frowning:

Hopefully we will be able to help in the search for the lost sub.

The NASA WORLDVIEW that you included in your post Is Awesome - I didn’t know about it previously! Thank You! I would also like to note that I believe it is indeed much better to make every effort to look at the glass as half full. And I find your post to be constructive - again THANK YOU!

Well, this doesn’t help matters…
Quoted: This was “aggravated by the fact that the plant that transmits and receives all the aeronautic communications in the country does not have staff,” it complained. (end quote)

(No staff? Oh my goodness!)

Quoted from

This is a pic of the sub in calm waters.

As you can see, 20 foot-plus waves & troughs would hide much of the upper section of the sub above the waterline.

About the only part that might be seen in a storm-ravaged ocean is the conning tower. When a sub surfaces, there is always someone left on watch in the conning tower. But the storms of the last 6+ days would mean the high seas would swamp that post. They wouldn’t dare leave the hatch open in those conditions, nor leave any crew topside in the conning tower with gigantic waves buffeting the sub. Navies have now covered more than half of the surface search area. Back to the hypothesis that the sub is likely submerged.

29 second video clip of the rough seas

This reminds me of the discussions about airlines after Malaysia lost contact with M370. We all thought there “must” be a better system of scheduled communications, so tragedies like this wouldn’t happen. But all over the world, there are no-signal zones. Maybe this type of distance-communication problem will be the next great invention or discovery in our lifetimes?

thank you for your help!

Dear all,
We will help if we can - thank you for the concern and for reaching out. We have activated this as a FirstLook event, which means that we will be gathering new imagery of the area. However, as many of you tomnod veterans know, it can take days, weeks, even sometime a month to get new imagery of an area. This is one way that satellite imagery is not as effective as other on-the-ground response efforts for immediate, emergency disaster response, like this.

DigitalGlobe has three satellites that are currently useable for tomnod imagery (WV 1-3), and they can take a ~15km wide strip every ~4 days. So our campaigns always lag behind current events, but in many cases we can still be very effective.

Things will be a little slow due to the holiday in the office, but if other emergency response efforts have not been effective in the immediate days, we will look into what imagery we have available. Thank you all for the outpouring of support!

Thank you for your response Mel_Nod. I look forward to helping out with the campaign to locate the ARA San Juan Submarine that is missing; although I do indeed hope they are found immediately alive and well.

I am curious as to whether or not the NASA Worldview utilizes satellites that you may be allowed access to: “NASA - EOSDIS Worldview
https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.go
Interactive interface for browsing full-resolution, global, near real-time satellite imagery. Supports time-critical application areas such as wildfire management …”?

Joanne

Map of the target area:

just off the shelf there, the water is the deepest of the Atlantic. The map shows 10,000 feet.

Besides Navies, others in the area — “From December to April, the high season for fishing, as many as 450 fishing boats from China, South Korea, Taiwan and Spain flock to the area to dredge up Argentine shortfin squid, said Milko Schwartzman, a marine conservation expert who has studied the trade. Illegal fishing in the area generates an estimated $1 billion per year, he said.”

Estimado cageycat, ciertas versiones dicen que el submarino podría haber emergido y estar perdido en la superficie, es muy importante que podamos ayudar a rastrear la zona, aunque tal vez en vano pero no deja de ser una ayuda.
Saludos!

Translation:-
Dear cageycat, certain versions say that the submarine could have emerged and be lost in the surface, it is very important that we can help to track the area, although perhaps in vain but it does not stop being an aid.
Regards!

Quoted material:

“The missing Argentine submarine may have been located early this morning, after a US Navy aircraft allegedly detected a ‘heat stain’ from 230ft below the surface, some 185miles from the coast, and a rescue vessel separately reported hearing a sonar signal.”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5106689/Missing-Argentine-submarine-located-Navy.html#ixzz4zAJONGKv
Other than a longer video of the poor surface conditions with 6m waves and fierce winds, the rest of the article repeats the history so far.

Por favor, habiliten la busqueda. Hoy es el ultimo dia que tienen de oxigeno. Dejennos ayudar. Habiliten los satelites aunque sea por 24 horas. El area de busqueda es muy extensa. Los argentinos anonimos podemos ayudar desde nuestras computadoras. Dejennos intentarlo.

Google Translate
Please enable the search. Today is the last day they have oxygen. Let us help. Enable the satellites even for 24 hours. The search area is very extensive. The anonymous Argentines can help from our computers. Let us try.

The area of interest (AOI) has been under intense winds, clouds, and waves. Satellites cannot see through clouds or underwater.

Tomnod has said they will see what they can do, but a satellite can only take 1 strip of ~15km wide every ~4 days. And it can take days, weeks, to a month to get new imagery and get it processed for nodders to view. See this post from Mel_Nod at Tomnod:

If Tomnod does get imagery, you’ll see how hard ocean searches are, especially in bad weather.

I’m truly sorry for what Argentina and the families of the 43 men and 1 woman are going through. I hope today’s report that I posted earlier is true.

No sooner had I sent my post, I saw this updated headline:
HOPES SINKING Argentine submarine crew feared dead as ‘oxygen supply runs out’ and ‘heat signal’ turns out to be a FALSE ALARM