2017 Oct 1st to Dec 31st - Nodder Weather reporting– too hot? too cold? light breezes? heavy winds?

It’s 1C/34F at the moment; odd how I had washing out on the line on Christmas Eve because it was warm and breezy enough to dry out there. Then Wednesday morning when I got up it was hailing styrofoam balls :dizzy_face: Yesterday morning it hailed proper and this morning it snowed :open_mouth: We’ve barely a centimetre of snow and its stopped now. Hope there’s no more, we’re going out to dinner this afternoon :worried:

Did you spot yourself there Doug :smile:

Sorry, I didn’t… As I said I was in Toronto back then… Most of that snow was lake effect and the wind blew to the south and southeast.

The fond memories came from the fact that WE only got half that much or less.
We were in the lake effect zone for some of what came down from Lake Huron and Georgian Bay… it just came further than normal, and of course sometimes we got some wind from the South as well… On the other hand, the Canadian side of the other side of Lake Ontario found itself between L.O and Lake Erie all the time… so from the border area all the way to Hamilton Ontario it was pretty bad. Like I said, it was nice to be ONLY that close but not in the bad stuff.
I remember fleets of plows and power utility trucks heading for the border to help get power back and roads cleared… and later with supplies for shelters as they started to get thin.

Last night the storm forecast for here only produced less than10cm/4 inches and fizzled out… that here in Cranbrook. However, there is another storm heading in, and then another and so on. ‘They’ forecast back into the 20 to 30 cm as possible… just like the last two storms… We’ll see. Good luck with your weather, where ever you are… all of you stay safe, warm and dry.

Arctic air still upon us. Friday’s early AM low was 1.1F/-17C. I have to laugh as the current temp at 1:05 AM (Sat) is 1.1F/-17C! The National Weather Service expects our low to be -5F/-20,5C and the highs tomorrow in the single digits. Sunday close to the same thing. The forecast for Sat. AM is calling for 1"-3"/2,5-7,6cm of snow, with a repeat later on in the evening. The frigid arctic air is still going to be with us for several more days.

From back in my snowplowing days (:wink:) I remember driving an old 1945 Oshkosh snow-fighter up a 3-mile/4,8km road (all uphill) to open an intersection where the road made a loop around the very top of the hill. This vehicle had smoke stack that was in the center of the hood, a 4-speed transmission and 3-speed axle. It had “balloon” wheels and chains on all four wheels, a V-plow a wing, and a sander on the back. You couldn’t drive over 30 mph/48 kph because it would start to bounce up and down as though you were riding a horse at a fast trot. (Hmmm… the road grader always did the same thing.) As I approached the wye intersection, I realized the snow drifts were higher than this vehicle! There was two steps plus the top of the saddle tank (fuel tank) you climbed up to get in - oh, and this old truck’s doors had “piano” hinges and two strips of thick leather to keep the doors from swinging too far open. And there was plenty of wood inside this old gal! All metal, wood and leather! Nice! Anyway, I had to move to the extreme left side of the road (we keep to the right here in the U.S.) and make one pass through the intersection. Moving back to the right side of the road I continued around the 1/2-mile/,8 km loop. After stopping, I set the wing about even with the bottom of the window (nearly 6 feet/1,8 m), set the brace arms out and locked, and started to take my first bite out of this snow drift that was just as high as the truck. I have to point out that the hill on one side of the intersection was higher than the road, so the snow drifted from that high point across the across the road and into the field on the opposite side. That first “bite” was like an adventure out of a comic book. As the snow started falling over the top of the V-plow and the wing was creating a “shelf” along the side of the truck, there was flame shooting out of the stack in the center of the hood about 2+ feet/,7 m. high! That old girl “walked” through the snow, first with one side grabbing and moving forward, then the other side catching up and moving ahead some. It was like she was doing a little dance - shaking her butt - as she pushed through the snow. Once I got to the point where there wasn’t too much snow coming off the plow and wing, I’d back up and grab another bite out of the drift. After an hour, I had moved the drift from the intersection over into the field on the other side of the road. I still can’t get over how that flame would shoot straight up toward the sky as she pushed the snow out of her way! :smiley: The next day it was the Cat 966-C payloader’s job to move that snow farther away from the road - to make room for more snow later on. That old Oshkosh was even used to “create” snow fences out of snow out in a cow pasture to capture the snow before it reached the road at the top of a hill by a dairy farm in town. I thought for sure we were going to get stuck, but it was the 1977 Oshkosh that got stuck - and we had to pull it out of the pasture. :rofl: That old '45 was finally retired by the town at the end of 1996 - 50 years of great service! I do believe the town got their money’s worth from that vehicle. But… those were the “fun” days! :wink:

EDIT: 0230 Sat.: Around 1 AM clouds moved in and the temperature has been hovering at 1.1-1.3F/-17C since. At this rate, I don’t think it’s going to get down to -5F/-20,5C like it was forecast. Oh well… the heat has still been turning on quite a bit every hour. And Cagey, Angel is staying nice and warm at my house with the thermostat set at 71F/21,6C. :smile_cat:

Cayuga name comes from Iroquois tribe.

I am still alive, just not kicking as much as usual. Nice peaceful Christmas. Godson home from Navy after 6 years. Nephew home for visit after 12 years. And we are very glad we had the new siding and windows put in last year as the weather has really turned Arctic here. Almost as bad as up in Edmonton, Alberta. I used to pick up a load in Nogales,AZ, and be wearing shorts and sandals, and then drive up to Edmonton and freeze my teeth off under three layers of coats and thermowear.