2018 Jan to June - Bird & Animal Sightings

Love reading your updates Jim. Sounds like you live somewhere lovely!

I am always on the lookout for suburban wildlife on my way in to work! Yesterday I saw a bushy-tailed coyote trotting through a prairie dog colony. We are also having a lot of Cackling Geese in the neighborhood right now - smaller cousins of the Canada Goose. They all hang out together in one big semi-related goose party.

This female moose has been a visitor in a small village near me. She would be sitting by their car when they tried to go to work! She was licking the road salt off the tires or roaming the back yards. Eventually she had to be relocated by tranquilizer by the local conservation officers who took her back to the forest area.
@cageycat…thought you would appreciate the third photo!

It was probably the cat that called the conservation department on her. :face_with_raised_eyebrow::wink::rofl:

Well, we do have a lot of water bodies around us. There’s the Hudson River to the east, The Coeymans Creek to the north, the Hannacroix Creek and a small brook to the south (the brook is also running along the western edge of my son’s backyard), as well as the Alcove Reservoir and its feeder (the Basic Creek Reservoir). And the southwest is the Coxsackie Reservoir. Both the Coeymans and the Hannacroix Creeks weave back and forth throughout the town, but the Hannacroix actually begins in Alcove, NY. There are many small brooks that formed from both surface and ground water that seeps out of the ground in some areas (artesian wells), which reminds me of a brother-in-law’s brother property. The family lived on a piece of property at the foot of a hill for many decades. He had an iron pipe hammered horizontally into the base of the hill where water flowed constantly. It was always ice cold even on the hottest summer days, but it only froze once in almost 50 years! I was better than his drilled water well! :smile:
Getting back to where I live, the topography is hilly - the highest hill in the county is in my town. There are many areas that have deep but narrow crevices running for good distances (like @cageycat took her claws to the rock and gouged out several side-by-side crevices in the rock. :smiley_cat:). If you fall into one of these, most likely you’ll be usable to climb out. And of course there’s the Coeymans Escarpment running to the west of the Hudson River and the Helderberg Escarpment in the Helderberg Mountains to my west by northwest. There’s lots of fields - both farmed and wild - for birds and animals to use beside the woods.

And the Canada Geese have been quite vocal every night until nearly 3 AM. Some are still flying in when it’s dark. I think the deer are by-passing my son’s house at night now and are heading straight down to my house. No coyotes down there like there are here, although we do get a stray wander through once in a while. It’s been a while since we’ve had to deal with fishers also. The red fox have shied away while the coyotes are in their mating season. The males are very, very aggressive during this time. Even had a report of one attacking a person in the next county! Ouch!

@cageycat…thought you would appreciate the third photo!

@T_Boechler Who said cats don’t make good watchers. :smiley:

Now, watch it there, or I’ll send them to your unofficial ‘zoo’. hehehe!

It was only a matter of time…

for word to get around about the cough unofficial Jim’s zoo.

Protective neighbors even took to Photoshopping in some “African” trees and bush. If if wasn’t for the originals, we’d all be fooled! Word has it that this young one hid in a cargo hold of a ship and after many months in stormy high seas, it found its way to Jim’s zoo. It first met a herd of deer who led it far back into thick woods where it stayed out of sight for several months— until a photographer snapped this pic of it popping its head above the trees…

We’re jealous!.

Want a good laugh? This morning after I tossed bird seed and cracked corn all around the maple tree in front of my son’s bay window, I watched as a red-headed woodpecker showed up. It made its way down the tree trunk to just above the ground… er, snow. Then it tried stretching to reach some seed or corn. It kept on stretching and stretching until finally… plop! It actually fell off the tree and landed face first into the snow! :rofl: The bird very quickly got up, shook a little snow off its face and head, grabbed whatever it was reaching for and climbed back up the tree. I could just imagine what was going through its mind when it lost its grip and fell into the snow… “I hope no one saw that. That was embarrassing! Even my head turned red!” :smile::roll_eyes:

After I dropped my car off at the service station to have new ball joints installed, my daughter dropped me off at my house so I could tend to Angel - my :smiley_cat:. As we pulled into my driveway - my nephew finally made it down to plow it for me (I told you I wasn’t shoveling :grinning:) - we spotted a lone deer at the end of one of my driveways up by the carriage house. It just stood there watching the car as my daughter and I sat and talked for several minutes. Even when I got out and walked over to the steps and on up to the porch, it stood its ground. It wasn’t until my daughter pulled in a little farther and turned into the other drive - leading to the side of my house (workshop) - that it turned, cut through the hedges and ran across my neighbor’s side yard and out to the dead-end street. From there it headed down the street to the woods. The “group of seven” - as my other neighbor calls them - doesn’t usually show up until between midnight and 3 AM. He said they’ve been showing nightly. Don’t tell anyone but I tossed some extra peanuts, sunflower seeds and cracked corn beneath the big pine tree in my front yard tonight for them. :shushing_face::zipper_mouth_face:
It was an uneventful walk back up to my son’s house. I was hoping to see some deer, a red fox or even a bunny or two, but nothing… nada! Oh well, at least I didn’t meet up with a pack of coyotes. I did meet one of my son’s neighbors at the end of the street as he was walking his dog. We had a nice talk as we walked doen the street together, so it was a good walk back. :smiley:

I was just looking at that moose again. I think it may have been checking the tread to make sure the tires are “legal.” :laughing:

As I arrived back at my son’s house a little after 11 PM, I caught 5 deer raiding the bird feeder and all the seed and peanuts I tossed on the ground this afternoon! I also spotted a red fox at 12:45 AM yesterday (it’s now today! :stuck_out_tongue:) I must be getting tired and I’ve just finished going through my notifications - 42 minutes worth.

17 March: I just had to let everyone know what I saw yesterday. I actually laughed out loud! It was very windy - actually high winds with very strong gusts. As I watched three crows on the rear lawn to a house on the next street over, one of them decided to take off. As soon as it had its feet off the ground, a gust of wind came up and actually flipped the crow over! It “performed” a one and a half roll - feet over head - and then indignantly got back up on its feet and walked back over to the other two. I could have sworn the others were laughing (cawing) at it. I was! :rofl: That was just as funny as watching that red-headed woodpecker the other day stretching out from the tree trunk trying to reach a seed on the ground and falling off - head first - into the snow! :rofl: Who says wildlife aren’t fun to watch? :laughing:

You just reminded of this youtube clip I saw a while ago :laughing:

In the second video it looked like she was calling the stick. :laughing: