Antarctica news - Impending-- oops, ice break

This is how the black rocks are made, it seems to.

That’s the Lava Lake I posted. A chamber of lava sits beneath a water lake with a stove pipe exit, making it constantly boil, hence the steam. But it does not erupt. It just heats. Like the hot springs in Yellowstone, too hot to even put a finger in the water. Think for Antarctica the shoreline water temp is 200F but they cannot test mid-lake.

I hope the “water” in the lake isn’t hydrochloric acid like one in Yellowstone where that young man climbed over the rail (ignoring the signs) and stood in it (knee deep I believe) so his girlfriend could take a picture of him. The acid made quick work of his skin and muscles and he simply fell over into it. By the time his girlfriend got help and they returned, all they could do was to fish out some of the larger bones - that quick! :frowning_face:

Thanks for posting, @claus
This was an excellent news segment!

Greenland 2015.

(speechless)… wow… awesome… frighteningly beautiful…

It was beautiful! I loved how once it broke away and started moving away, it sank quite a bit and then rose back up - in slow motion! Made a lot of waves which caused the sea birds on the shore to fly up. :grin:
What is really beautiful was checking out a link @Claus had posted to another website by a photographer who was at the right place (Antarctica) and at the right time when an iceberg broke off the ice sheet and flipped over. The underside of the berg was like polished blue glass with some faint greenish tints in it. Looked like a giant gem stone! I wonder how many millions of carats that would make? :smirk:
Here’s the link to it: http://www.alexcornell.com/antarctica/

Yep, serious problem with both the south and north pole regions melting.
https://polarbearsinternational.org/climate-change

While I am in the process of taking an online course on FutureLearn titled “Frozen Frontier: Monitoring the Greenland Ice Sheet From Space,” I watched several videos and used an interactive web app to observe and study the ice berg calving and sea ice. With the app you can observe the sea ice (and its thickness) as it changes from month to month during the year and then from year to year. Pretty cool!

Yes, I saw this same article and was going to post, but you beat me to it!