April 2017 Antarctica: Weddell seals - Can't see in the dark :/

Erm, how do you spot seals in the dark :smirk:

Em, Just a guess, but I would think in order to spot seals in the dark, one would use a flashlight or perhaps even a spotlight. - ake

I know! I know! Take a :cat: with you!

:heart_eyes_cat:

@cageycat I took your advice…and lost the cat :confounded:

Ah but, Confucius has never tried finding Weddell seals in the dark on a satellite pic, so what would he know :unamused:

@Michelle4 these seals need to be a little more considerate and wear high viz jackets at night when they’re getting the picture taken :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ok, I’m sending in the Big Cats…

…and my trusty night vision goggles for backup :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nobody can see me…

… I don’t exist…

Turn on the lights? :smiling_imp:

Ok, I’ve “put big light on” :laughing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnjL6S0wfZM Let me know if you yanks need a translation :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :laughing:

Okay, I had to keep the volume down - girls’ bedtime - and the voice was out of sync with the video. I guess I need a translation. :laughing:

:laughing: It was a bad quality clip, but it was the only one I could find on youtube with reference to “th’big light” (which is in reference to the main ceiling light in a room…as opposed to a lamp light), to see better with :wink:

Peter Kay is a famous comedian here in the UK, and was born and raised here in Bolton…where I live :slight_smile: That particular clip was a skit on the local dialect here.

Okay, thanks. I understood “the big light,” but that was about it. As I said, I had to keep the volume down and the audio quality being lacking also didn’t help. It reminded me of listening to a 250-watt regional short-wave radio station in Caracas, Venezuela at night, as well as others in South and Central America. It was hard enough understanding with my limited Spanish back then, but their use of an electronic echo chamber made matters worse. Eventually I could identify the station so I could write and request verification that I did indeed heard their station. Lost a lot of sleep trying to catch some of those IDs! :dizzy_face:

Don’t think saying “big light” is a UK thing. It’s what we said as well in the Appalachians. Never said ‘overhead light’.

To be truthful, growing up here in New York, we also always would say, “turn on the big light.” It was just that I really couldn’t understand that comedian on the YouTube video. Not sure if it was because of his “rough” dialect of English (sorry @EmeraldEyes) or because of a combination of having to keep the volume down and the poor audio quality of the video. Guess we all say pretty much the same thing for some things. I do notice that here in the US we say, “take another turn,” or “do it again,” but in the UK it’s, “have another go.” :slight_smile: Now to make one little weather report on the “weather” topic and I have to get to sleep. Goodnight! :sleeping: