Aspen Colorado Missing Hiker SAR - My Total Counts changed

Hey Cagey. My TN is acting up again. Had 3017 tiles now it says 2832. What the fritz? And this is the 3rd time I have searched this set of tiles. Whine, Snivel. whimper, snork.

Aspen Colorado Missing Hiker Search & Rescue SAR Campaign
Aspen Colorado Missing Hiker Search & Rescue SAR Campaign

Hi @Beverly1

I overdid nodding last night so I haven’t been in there today. Maybe they changed maps?

If you aren’t logged in when tagging, those numbers are not able to be associated with your ID… Are you sure you were logged in on the image interface? Forum login and Interface login are separate.

You could try deleting your cache of temporary internet pages, to force the server and browser to be “in sync”. I use CCleaner, a free program, to save persistent wanted cookies and then, delete temp internet files on all browsers. If you use CCleaner, I think I posted before how to set it up and things to avoid.

Otherwise, to be honest, I mostly ignore the overall “count”. I pay more attention to what I tagged and the consensus-- both are (sadly) very low on this campaign.

Could be the loading of new images. I just got one dated 27th.

Did as you suggested and voila! it straightened itself up. Newfangled electronic gadgets, mumble, mutter,mutter.

Fritz, FRaggle, Flux,Blither!! It did it again! Was working on tiles up in the mountains and had found a point of interest and after searching a bit more decided to go back and taske a screen shot and show it to you guys. Tried to zoom out and it froze then would not let me back in and then when I restarted,(and made sure I was signed in), it disappeared that tag and all the tiles I had accumulated. And now it says nothing there. Closed and ran a Crap Clean and came back in and it’s still not there.

@Beverly1, it often seems frozen when zooming out, as it has to load & process lots more tiles, try waiting a few minutes. If you restart it will lose recent data.

Like @Michael10 said it’s often slow to zoom out. Anything past -3 and you might as well go make a cup of tea :laughing: And if you try for -5 AND zoom out your rooter to 25% (I’m on Google Chrome), when you’ve made that cup of tea/coffee (or anything stronger to calm yourself down) go check your FB feed or play a game of solitaire while you wait for the screen to load :sweat_smile:

(It helps if you wait for America to go to bed I find :wink: Or before they get to work in the morning :laughing: :innocent:

Yeah, I know! I usually give it 4 sets of solitaire, and by that time I have the munchies so I go and get a snack. It did straighten itself out this afternoon., so I am where I am supposed to be with counts. I find that I expect these whizz-bang machines to be faster than they really are sometimes.

I probably should make a new topic (LOL) but what the hay… I have some feedback when I complained to my Internet Provider how s-l-o-w my “high speed” connection is to some sites… like Tomnod. :wink: But I need to say right away, I found it isn’t Tn’s problem! However, the route my signal takes out to CO makes little sense to me. I learned each “hand off” is called a “hop” and there are multiple “hops” between “you” and the site you’re accessing. A “hop” is / are any company who is techie enough to handle major traffic from homes to the World Wide Web. Even small companies. Even teeny companies with lousy or over-burdened servers.

I’m in NE USA. On most requests to go to Tomnod, I go to Pittsburgh PA, then Altoona PA (whatever for is beyond me!), then St. Louis, then a suburb of St. Louis, then somewhere in Kansas, then out to Washington State (why? wrong direction!) to servers owned by Amazon if I remember right… and finally, down to Colorado. The Washington State hop is the problem, with time outs and (Internet) traffic pile-ups.

Run a traceroute to see where you’re going on your hops. Maybe you go to Washington too?

The very best time to Nod (for me) is Third Shift, midnight to 8 am. Second best, late evening 8pm to midnight, Eastern time zone.

And, it helps to go to -3, then read some mail… go to -4, then clean your monitor screen… go to -5 and do 50 push-ups, run a load of laundry, and hurry to clean out your snack cupboard… and before checking again, pray to the Amazon gods to let your signal fly through to CO without starting back at the Pittsburgh hop! I exaggerate, but if it’s during western coast workday, arrange to take a 4-5 hour nap during the day while you wait. :wink: Have a 6 hour nap if your Anti-virus decides to run an update at the same time you’re requesting to go to CO. I think an airplane flight would be faster, but I don’t know if I could pick up WiFi from DigitalGlobe’s parking lot. And the hops would probably send me to Pittsburgh first just to get into Tn. LOL

@cageycat Your internet provider has (should have) control of routing. Usually it follow the biggest pipe, not necessarily the closest hop.

However;
www.tomnod.com is hosted on amazon AWS

Tracing route to elb070234-1416876170.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com [174.129.212.216]

At least from here in Oz it goes to east coast, YMMV - they have datacenters on the west coast, Oregon, I presume that is where your trace is going. Inside their datacenter traffic will be via a proxy so you probably wont see the real destination. That is where the bulk of delays will come from as it does real work, not just hopping.

However the TN map images come via api.tiles.mapbox.com

ping api.tiles.mapbox.com
Pinging d3eju24r2ptc5d.cloudfront.net [54.230.132.171] with 32 bytes of data:

(YMMV - may go different routes depending on where you are)

Cloudfront is another amazon service, also proxy’d.

For me it comes from Sydney.

So do a tracert on api.tiles.mapbox.com and you will get a better picture of where the bulk of the data comes from.

It is probably more complex behind the cloudfront; I can get response times of 23ms, or 3000ms, so I suspect cached images are quick and local, but it may have to go and grab data from elsewhere. (usually ~600-800ms per tile square - but it does a bunch in parallel)

These whizz-bang machines would and should be faster if only Microsoft would quit dumping junk in them every month on the premise of “updating” :unamused: