H. Irma - How do we know where we are

How do you know where you are tagging?

TIP - H. Irma #1 Campaign
H. Harvey - New Imagery Added

When Tn posts they changed imagery (1st group; 2nd group).

And, Nodders sometimes go looking to figure out the location.

Right now with Irma, I’m a bit lost about which island we’re on, because I think if I’m behind on a map, other Nodders will be doing a different place than I am finishing. I think I’m on map 3 now.

Would the first 2 characters of the map’s URL (after “/map/”) indicate which map? I’m still on “1m8lxgy1b” at the moment. I wonder how they assign or number their map tiles. :thinking: I’ll have to watch what the URL begins with once I complete this map.

I saw that… hmmm
Anyway since I’m just catching up and trying to kill two with one stone… here is what it looks like.
the netbook is to the right side and I’m on single external monitor mode… gives the largest fill.

I’ve been doing a few with it for testing and such… but we have had a change in the weather now and all the fires locally are behaving by going under control etc… and now the locals announced that they are going (possibly) have a long term power out tonight… sigh. They had to dig up the transformer accross the street and replace it and all wiring associated for over a block… but no one has mentioned us being affected 100 ft away… but I can see that being the case or not.

So I’m heading for the tiles right now. See you all.

Edit: This has gone far enough now… and was my last post on this… CC is right… but some topics veer of their own accord naturally… this one started with things being hard to see…
I promise to take such things to mailbox in future.

See you when your power is restored - if it does get shut down, but it does look that way. :frowning_face:

Purely through the power of deduction Susan :wink:

Obviously we all know where H.Irma hit. So if I zoom out my browser to the max (I’m using Google Chrome on my pc) it reveals the whole of the map I’m on. Then I just treat it like a jigsaw piece on google maps. If it shows a complete island/small map grid then it’s a small island I need to make my comparisons with. If it only shows a partial island/and a very large map grid, then I go start at the larger islands to make my comparisons by matching up the coastlines. To pinpoint a specific location from their is just a matter of picking out and matching up land marks until you reach your destination. I’m usually fairly quick with it because I like puzzles and jigsaw puzzles being one of them :wink:

Zooniverse include Lat/Long in their picture information.
google_maps_link https://www.google.com/maps/@21.3676694,-71.1548190,17z
and
jpg_file_after tc_cockburn_town_dg_after_073_034.jpg

From that info I can work out where I am.

Tomnod images are best but Zooniverse gives more info as to where to look.
Please include Location info.

Hi pommystuart, although @cageycat and @AKE235 are moderators on this forum, they are not TN staff but perhaps @Mel_Nod or @Jon_Saints at TN might be better able to answer that one for you :slight_smile:

Hi @pommystuart

As explained in another post, Tn does not provide coordinates on the images. However, we have many people who are good with GE and they often come up with an exact location.

However, as other nodders pointed out, we do not need coords to do our tasks. A demolished house in Houston has much the same impact as a destroyed home on an island. The human suffering is what we’re trying to minimize through giving ground authorities in an Open Source website the data they need to work in their communities.

With destruction along every street, on every hillside, we don’t need coords to know where to look.

Hi Mel.
Not sure where to post this re IRMA.

Zooniverse include Lat/Long in their picture information.
google_maps_link https://www.google.com/maps/@21.3676694,-71.1548190,17z
and
jpg_file_after tc_cockburn_town_dg_after_073_034.jpg

From that info I can work out where I am.

Tomnod images are best but Zooniverse gives more info as to where to look.
Please include Location info to help me better distinguish damasge and just messy houses.

TIA
Stuart

Hi @pommystuart. This is a repost from another thread on the same topic:

(providing coordinates) is something we at Tomnod are a little conflicted on. We realize that it is possible to find out where you are, and there is nothing wrong with that. There are numerous free and available ways of looking at satellite and other aerial imagery, google earth/maps being just one!

However, there is also something appealing to us about maintaining some type of privacy (perhaps this is silly!) when we are having so many volunteers peering over so many people’s lives, especially in such heartbreaking circumstances. That’s one reason why we don’t provide coordinates outright. Thanks as always for the interesting discussion - this is especially food for thought.

Ok Mel, Thanks, I understand what you say.

Stuart