H. Irma - What's this?

Thanks Doug. I don’t know why I didn’t notice it before, but when I just looked at the plants, they do indeed look like water lilies (the cupped pads). And the stones now pop out at me screaming, “I’m a laid wall, dummy!” The one thing I did notice earlier was that the white “rock” was sitting at an angle. But what haunts me is how this came up in a photo which is supposed to be countryside? That is weird.

Hi Stuart, the “Jump to Priority Area” button won’t necessarily take you to an area of damage. All it will do is take you to an area that you’ve not seen before that hasn’t been seen by as many people, regardless of whether there is any damage or not.
If the server knew where the damage was, us Nodders wouldn’t be needed, would we?! :thinking:

I’ve seen thousands of tiles with no buildings, let alone anything that was damaged. (I tend to see that as a good thing, another area that escaped the wrath of the hurricane!) Just lots of trees and fields, occasional flooded areas but no buildings or roads in the area.

Use GE… These are DD MM.mmm format. coordinates Use GE options to change the in use format.

27 47.113 N 082 10.116 W you should be able to get the rest on your own… I had to start from scratch since it was a new mapset for me… Thanks for that… I don’t think I’ll ever get to see them all… or all of each either…

I know others have been helping… Welcome here by the way!
So I can offer a word or two on getting this done…

I have a active background in SAR up here in BC Canada… but I’m currently not up to field operations for now… getting old… One thing that is very prevalent in new search people is the feeling that they have to do it all… The real job is to get it done… well. I have often pointed out similar advice to some on here…
Real time searchers get sent to locations, that, while realistic possibilities don’t often have much chance to actually hold what we seek… that leads some to get frustrated… They have yet to learn that Search operations are as much to find places where the subject is NOT… and that is very important… Only one team will have the big find… The objective is to gather the information to steer the Rescue resources to the subject… and that often means hours of finding nothing… I do this to keep my thinking sharp, and experiment with things like Where is it… and how to do that effectively… but at the same time going through the images in a practical manner that gets to the Tomnod objective… the managers will let us know if they aren’t happy with results etc… but that doesn’t affect us thinking about it… patience is handy.
This isn’t a sprint… average speed is often what pays off… a dragster car will reach 200 plus mph in about 10 seconds or less… and goes 1/4 mile… great as far as I’m concerned… my old sports car will do 90 for hours at a time… and it goes a lot further… with one passenger as well… See the difference.?

Keep asking questions… I have time to answer some, But I’m not an expert by any means… I do know what they are thinking though. So I tend to be a mentor if possible.

Doug4

Like the time we had a SAR operation going on for a missing autistic little boy. Spent hours walking through the woods between the river and the New York State Thruway from Ravena, NY down into New Baltimore, NY. Up and down hills, marshy areas, fields, deep crevices, etc… About 10 hours later the boy was found. But as you said, while we found nothing in the woods, that meant the police helicopters could concentrate on the fields, ravines, etc… The blood hounds brought in from across the river were going to join in the search. When the father went back into the house to get some of the boys clothing for the dogs to sniff, he found his son just starting to crawl out from under his bed! He decided to come out from under his bed where he had been playing/sleeping when he finally got hungry! Our only frustration - before the boy was found - was that it was getting dark and it was supposed to get rather chilly that night, but never the fact that “one of us” had found him. Everyone’s main concern was for the boy’s safety and well being. I don’t believe there was one individual - volunteer fire fighter, ambulance crew member, police officer, or neighbor - that had any regret or disappointment that the boy wasn’t found where they had been looking. The happy ending was all that mattered!

Thanks Jim and Doug.
I do agree that it is better for those on the ground that we don’t find anything.
Still, I thought it amusing to see a big plane in what looks like someones front yard with no way to get it to an airstrip.

Well, it’s simply true… hope you are happy knowing… by the way My guess at first is that it was either a memorial, or given the number of flight schools in Florida that this might be used for cabin crew training in association with one of those… My older sister was a flight attendant with Eastern way back when… and sometimes taught new crew for them… course Eastern is long gone, and sis seems to have disappeared on me again… she was last in SC near Columbia. at least she talks to my other sister from time to time but who knows what has happened recently. They tend to leave me alone. sigh.
I believe that being able to use Google Earth is a very good tool for many activities… so I don’t discourage it, but don’t let it distract from the task at hand… being able to look for corners (4) and major landmarks is a good start to identifying what you are looking at, but… a single object in an image is tough… when you want to do that, spiral out… searching each tile as you go of course and marking tags… (not easy to tell where you searched otherwise… see always search while playing)
I find that 100 tiles is big enough to be found easily… that is only 10 on a side… you might do more in the vertical axis if needed they are rectangular and wider than tall… once in a while you need lots more… yours was done with center and 5 more up and down from there same east and west.
Then a corner was helpful, but I found the object area first, but that was part luck and part having searched the area looking for my first FL image set…
I got to run… have fun figuring it out and searching. thoroughly.

Not the first time that has happened… In fact around my area and many others, the home always gets checked thoroughly… sometimes many times, inside and out. And it can apply to seniors and others with special needs… that and a lot of other things… kids don’t drive, and rarely have huge sums of cash to buy tickets for busses, planes etc. also walk faster. that is why time is a big factor for some searches. There are books on the topic of missing person behaviours… in a storm, most people WANT to be found and picked up… lost people often don’t want that for some varied reasons.

Thanks Doug.

Being in Australia I don’t know my USA geography. :flushed:

I do also swop between Tomnod and Zooniverse for this project.

Zooniverse seems to be concentration more on the Caribbean Islands and their pics seem to be more up todate and identify the location.

Back to looking.

Stuart

As far out in the boondocks as this feature is, one of the first things that comes to my mind is someone “potholing” for Native American artifacts. Second would be a soil saturation test pit, to see if area was up for development.

What is GE?

I am familiar with Lat/Long formats as I do Zooniverses ‘Old Weather’ data entry from ships log books but not heard if GE before.
Trial and error, finally worked out my images are from Tampa. FL

(Does Tomnod have any Caribbean images as I think they have less infrastructure to report needs?)
TIA
Stuart

See if I can get all in one reply. Glad you got there…

Okay, I don’t know Zooniverse at all, never heard of that… I’ll check it out.

GE is Google Earth and GM is Google maps (more on that later)

It is just one source of imagery… in fact Google and possibly you Zoo… often get imagery from Digital Globe which is the parent of Tomnod… I have noted that there are many post storm views showing up on GE.and GM I mostly keep track of the sets using GE polygons… and other features / tools for locating things I find… For example I stuck an aircraft shaped map pin right on your airplane… it’s handy.

Oh I said ‘more later’. This evening, I was plotting the mapset boundary that tile was located in…
and while I was on there… I decided to see if I could figure out what and why the plane is there.
Streetview feature on GE or GM allows for ground level views of things… but it this case there is NO streetview imagery along the roadway… not that odd… I followed the road out to the highway junction
(right in regard to the image) there I found some streetview… and there is a sign board… seems the road is private and belongs to … the Hillsborough County Sherrifs Office… their firearms training center.
There are ranges to the south east an the aircraft and all that parking lot and and roadways are for advanced training… as is the aircraft as a tactical prop…

Just for fun that.

Have at it… I’m around, but need some sleep… this topic is worked out…

Ah, I looked that up yesterday but ran out of time to post. It’s actually the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office (HCSO) - Practical Training Site (Google Map co-ords: 27.785281, -82.166904). My guess is the plane is used for training purposes :thinking:

Google Maps and Google earth how embarrassing I should have picked that one.

Do not reply, enjoy your rest.

Hi EmeraldEyes.

Thanks for the info.

Interesting place.

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/Articles/Articles/Tactical-City.aspx

[http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/getattachment/a0b74963-8edd-420d-b0ea-5d4d53afb26f/TC01.jpg.aspx]http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/Articles/Articles/Tactical-City.aspx

Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office - Tactical Cityhttp://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/Articles/Articles/Tactical-City.aspx
www.hcso.tampa.fl.us
The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office is building a city. Tactical City to be precise. This innovative and unique project is under way at our Walter C. Heinrich …

(Doug also worked it out)

No reply

They’re tax dollars at work. :grinning: Reminds me of a city they built in China - big and beautiful. The only problem is no one can afford to live there. It’s like a ghost town. I think I saw the article and photos on BusinessInsider.com a while back. I almost think it was built back when they felt they had to “prove to the world” they were “modern.” :roll_eyes: And also their “bridge to nowhere.” The Chinese built a bridge (at their expense) from China into North Korea to stimulate trade between the two countries. The only problem is North Korea never even built a road up to the bridge on their side. The bridge ends in an empty field! :rofl: But as my son said, "It still gives the Chinese military a way into North Korea should the need arise. So true… :thinking:

That’s the one! :rofl:

I’m not sure why, but I take an odd comfort to know that many governments build boondoggles.

Thank you Susan, I’ve just learnt a new word! :thinking::smiley: Never heard that term before, but it seems to fit perfectly! :grin:

Helen,
A boondoggle is to do work of little or no practical value merely to keep or look busy.