How we age or want to


“If during the spring and summer months the days get longer, does that mean we age slower?” :laughing:
I presented that question to one of my son’s friends and he thought about it for what seemed like a full minute before he realized that the day still only has 24 hours in it! I am a bad boy! :smiling_imp:

I plan on aging s.l.o.w.l.y… :wink:


Here are a couple more strange points to ponder…

From babyhood to teenage years, health experts say babies, toddlers, children and teens need more than 10-15 hours of sleep. The accepted theory is they are learning so much and doing so many new things.

Many kids and teens do not (or cannot) sleep through the night. But many can sleep more than 12 hours straight during the day.

So, why is it when people turn 50 yrs old, they sleep less at night. But if allowed, can “nap” for many hours, even more than 12 hours, during daylight times. Why is it adults over 50 (without working any swing shifts) move from a night sleep schedule to a daytime sleeping schedule? What is the theory when an adult over 50, 60, or 70 can sleep many hours longer than the “laziest” er busiest teenager?

And here’s more to ponder…

As soon as toddlers can count, they begin to say "I’m 2 and a half!" Older kids say, “I’m almost 10… I’m 9 and three-quarters.” But mysteriously, around 11-12 yrs old, this linguistic oddity disappears…

Then, somewhere after 50 yrs old, you’ll hear an older mature adult say, “I’m 59 and a half…soon to be 60!” It gets worse 6 months before the person retires (whatever age that is). “I’m 64 and three-fifths… and finished a fifth of Jack Daniels!”

What explains this peculiarity? Can you imagine being at work at 31 years old and declaring, “I’m 31 and two-thirds old!”


Funny, my wife was 29 for I don’t know how many years…:confused: When she finally turned “30,” it took her another couple of years before she started “moving on up in age.” Did she find something that kept her “young” - at least for a decade? Well, whatever, she’s 3 months younger than I, but I think whatever it was wore off and now I look to be the younger of us two. :wink: I think that’s because I don’t let things bother me or tend to dwell on things that are upsetting. Life’s too short to waste time on such stuff. So where do I stand on the timeline of my life? I’m 22,768.5 days old. :laughing:


I was just thinking, once I turned 50-ish, whenever someone asked how old I was, I would have to ask my wife, “How old am I?” It’s kind of the same thing when someone asks me what my phone number is. I actually have to stop and think about it. After all, I don’t call my own number, so why would I remember it? :confounded::laughing:


They say that in ancient times, human adults would sleep for about 3 to 4 hours, wake up between 10 and 11 PM, eat, visit friends and go for a walk. Then they would return home and go back to bed until morning. I think it had something to do with an ingrained fear of being eaten by wild animals before the days of large towns and cities. I’ll have to reread that newsletter I received from an old archaeologist again to be sure. It did make sense though… that explanation. OR… Maybe that was the origins for late-night partying! :smiley:


I can nap any time-pick a quiet spot and I’m gone. I blame it on driving long haul truck. A truck driver who can sleep through all the racket at a truck stop, countless rigs running, AC running, guys hollering, slamming, banging doors and hoods, screeches, horns,etc. can sleep ANYWHERE.


I know what you mean. It’s like a newborn baby. They can sleep with all kind of noise going on around them - no problem. But let the noise stop and that awful silence will wake them up in a jiffy.
When I was working (in my younger days :wink:) and plowing snow for the town, I used to drive for up to 28 hours at a rip. When I did get tired, I found a good place to “hide” and would sleep from an hour to 3 hours - diesel running, two-way radios on and when the engine had to cool down a little, the clutch fan would screech a little as it kicked in. Slept like a baby! :sleeping: When I awoke, I would get out, rub some snow on my face and went back to work. Sometimes I would even call on the radio and ask if anyone missed me. :penguin: I could sleep with my head against the vibrating window, but usually rolled up my sweatshirt and had that wrapped around my neck and over my shoulders (to keep my head upright. I even parked one night in an open stall at the village garage after borrowing some of their salt. I was awakened 45 minutes later by another town truck when that driver had the same idea as me! I just beat him to the Zzzzzzs! :slight_smile:
It’s funny… back then if there was 6 or more inches (15+ cm) of snow on a road that was supposed to be plowed by another entity (county or state DOT), I still dropped my plow and plowed whatever length I had to travel on it - especially on the hills and bad curves. Now, the drivers won’t usually do that because of monetary restraints - it does add extra wear to the cutting blade on the plow and they have to be either flipped over or changed sooner. But the way I looked at it was if I didn’t plow off the snow and someone behind me lost control or couldn’t make it safely up or down a steep hill, then shame on me. Beside, our town was always the first ones out and emergency personnel depended upon us many times to clear state and/or county highways so they could get through. I even led a procession of fire trucks, an ambulance and several volunteer firefighters along a state highway one nasty winter night. An impatient Assistant Fire Chief decided to pass me. Coming around the next bend I saw his vehicle off the road and into the ditch. :laughing: Kids!
And speaking of kids… My boss’ son was always saying how he couldn’t wait for us to get a foot (30,5 cm) of snow. Well, we received 36 inches (~1m) and after 7 hours his eyes were bloodshot and all he wanted to do was to go home and sleep for several hours. My boss told him and his shotgun to go get some sleep. Then he asked me and my shotgun if we were okay. After telling him we were fine, he asked us to run around the opposite end of the town and redo the hills and curves before heading back down to my run (by the river). We ended up going over nearly 60 miles/96,5 km before getting back to our own route! That was the 28-hour straight plowing time I put in. When we did return to the town garage, the boss’ son was just getting back to work - a second time. My shotgun and I were told to go home and come back about 12 hours later (and whispered to us that it would be okay if we didn’t come in until 4 AM the next morning - which is what we did). The “kid” had to refuel my truck, reload it with salt, and park in my my stall before he was permitted to take his own truck to go around his route again. He didn’t seem to mind… I think when he found out I lasted 28 hours as to his 7 at a time, he was very quiet. At least he got to go home twice for sleep while I plowed non-stop. Those were the days. :slight_smile:
I remember when my daughter and son were young. I’d be out plowing all the day before and Christmas Eve. I got home around 7:30 AM, lie down on the couch, prop up my eye lids with toothpicks and watch the kids open their gifts. (They had been up since 6:30 AM and waited for me to get home.) When they were finished opening their gifts, I swallowed the last of my coffee and crawled into bed. Anything that had to be put together was put off until I woke up - usually an hour or so later. The kids simple couldn’t wait any longer! :smile::sleepy:


Hmmm, think I’m gonna put that question in the diabeticsUK forum. It certainly applied to me, because for a few years prior to being diagnosed with type2, I could go all night…spent many a night on the TN campaigns, sometimes only going to bed for when birds started chirping when I couldn’t sleep :stuck_out_tongue: It’s as well I didn’t go out to work because during the day I was napping 2/3 times a day and getting to the point I was worried that I wasn’t getting half as much done in the day as I used to just the year before. But I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes about 2/3 years ago after a routine med check and put on metformin and since then everything has gone back to normal…in that I’m sleeping at night and awake during the day. But it’s not just the medication that has improved it all as I’ve also had to change my diet, in particular I’m more alert to those foods with hidden sugars, brown bread instead of white, brown rice/pasta instead of white, potatoes and basically avoid any sugary foods/drinks. I’m not saying I’ve cut them out completely, the aim of the game is to reduce. I do notice when I’ve had say potatoes with a meal, I’m sleepy an hour later and could do with a nap :confounded:

With type 2 diabetes, your body either resists the effects of insulin — a hormone that regulates the movement of sugar into your cells — or doesn’t produce enough insulin to maintain a normal glucose level.

'…Your pancreas makes a hormone called insulin. It’s what lets your cells turn glucose from the food you eat into energy. People with type 2 diabetes make insulin, but their cells don’t use it as well as they should. Doctors call this insulin resistance.

At first, the pancreas makes more insulin to try to get glucose into the cells. But eventually it can’t keep up, and the sugar builds up in your blood instead…’

I’m not saying that “everyone” over 50 is type2 but we are still taking on more fuel/the wrong type of fuel than the body needs as we slow down with old age. Reduce the carbs, switch out the types of fuel you take in during the day…and maybe have a piece of white bread toast and a glass of milk for supper or if you are up in the night…that should help put you to sleep :stuck_out_tongue:


When my wife and I were first married, one of her brothers-in-law would always tell her, “You get more sleep than a shepherd dog!” She always did sleep between 10-12 hours - at 19 years old - and still does! At times she may even take in a short nap (1-3 hours) during the day. :confused: I, on the other hand, always slept less than 6 hours, but about once a month I’ll sleep for 8-10 hours. Hmmm… To this day I still get only a few hours of sleep (and no naps), usually 4 hours or less. As an example, I went to bed at 2:45 AM this morning. My 3-year old granddaughter woke me up at 6:40 AM. The 5-year old came downstairs to join us at 7:30 AM. Next ones up were my daughter-in-law and the baby at 8:20 AM. My wife woke up at 8:45 AM. (My son was at work on an over-night trip to NYC.) Why can’t grandpa get to take a nap during the day? Oh, that’s right… It’s “Grandpa! Play with me!” :heart_eyes:


Yep! Me. too! Still have days when I can’t drift off, and end up staying awake for 2 days the sleeping forever. As a teen, I could sleep for 12-14 hrs, but my Mum was having none of that! I was up at 4am to gather eggs, and put the milk in the separator, then draw water for laundry and morning wash-ups. Then get ready for school with a bite of toast out the door. When I got home it was time to gather eggs again and feed the chickens, check to see everyone had water, then pick apples or hoe garden and help bring in the wash off the line. Does any of this sound familiar? Crap, no wonder I sleep all the time now, I’m catching up from my :grin:-spent youth.


I didn’t have it quite so bad as we lived in the city, but instead of farm animals, we had dogs (mine), cats, fish (mine), snakes (mines), Iguanas (mine), and a box turtle (mine). I never realized just how many “family” pets were actually mine - everyone except for the cats. They were my sisters’ pets. I had to feed and water all of them. I can’t tell you how many late night hours I spent crouching along the house foundation catching crickets for the snakes and turtle. During the day it was catching grasshoppers - the turtle was exceptionally fond of those! Meal worms for the iguanas. The dogs were let out in the backyard once they ate. I completed the rest of my chores and then brought the dogs back in before going to school. My older brothers and sisters helped out with the younger ones. (I guess I was the lucky one, being #7 out of 11!) :relieved:
Somehow I always ended up doing most of the yard work. My dad wouldn’t even think of using any herbicides to rid the lawns of weeds, so every Saturday morning he’d have me and the older of my two younger brothers out in the yard with a pail and a narrow hand shovel. We’d each have to take out 50 dandelions before we could even think of heading up the street to play with our friends. And once I turned “of age,” I was also given the reward of mowing the grass as well! :confused:
Funny how WAY BACK when I was young I didn’t mind walking long distances. Even for kindergarten I walked to and from school with one or two of my siblings. That was about 1-1/2 miles (2,4 km) each way. The same for grade school and high school. I could always get their faster by walking than if I took the city bus. :grin: I still have a few school tokens that were used on the city buses. Back then it was the United Traction Company. The tokens had 2 “quarter moons” cut out of the center of them. I wonder if they’re worth anything to a collector of coins/tokens? They’re from the 1960s.
Continuing about walking, when I was 16 years old I began dating one who is still my bride. She lived in one of the “hill towns,” 26 miles (41,8 km) away. Of course I had to meet her just before winter and every Friday afternoon as soon as I got home from school, I’d start walking down the highway. Sometimes it was 9:00 PM before I arrived at the resort where we all hung out listening to bands and dancing. Then I’d hitch a ride with someone heading back north. Did the same thing on Saturday, and then again on Sunday. I think the worst of those winter days was when it was below freezing, snowing, and people had let their dogs out just as I was walking past their houses. Boy, can dogs run fast in the snow! :neutral_face: When I got home on Sunday nights, I had to cram my homework in only a couple of hours because I had to get up to deliver newspapers. My route was actually four routes combined into one. Guess they had a shortage of paperboys at that time. Bundles of newspapers were dropped off in front of my house and at two other locations. I took me an hour of fast running. I taught myself how to roll and fold a newspaper so that I could walk down the middle of the street and throw the newspapers to houses on either side of the street, with the papers landing ever so gently on their front steps. Okay, one time a gust of wind came up, lifted the paper higher than I wanted and it sailed threw the glass on someone’s front door. There was no escaping blame for what happened as the family was sitting at their table eating their breakfast. As soon as the glass broke the man of the house was out on the front porch. But, I was already on his steps reaching for the doorbell. I apologized and said I’d pay him for the repairs, but he laughed and said as long as hadn’t tried to run away, it was okay. (They still tipped me at the end of the week when I went around collecting.)
Even when I got my first “real” job, I found it was faster - and cheaper - just to walk or run to work. It was only 4 miles each way. I could beat the city bus traveling the same route by almost 5 minutes, and if I cut through different streets, I could beat it be nearly 10 minutes. Of course by the time I got home I was ready for a nice cold, frosting mug of beer. :heart_eyes::wink: Funny how I usually drank lager or ale at home, but usually drank pilsner beer when we went out. I even had pilsner glasses as well as mugs at home.
These days, I think the most distance I could cover without it knocking me out of commission for a while is about 2 miles - and slow miles at that! Now, if my wife was 26 miles away, I think I’d hire a taxicab! :sweat_smile:


My wife and I were just talking today about how fast the grandchildren and our children’s pets are getting bigger and older. Yesterday, our son’s dog, Bella, turned 14. Seems like only yesterday that we were training her to go to the potty on newspapers and finally to ask to go outside. Solo is 12 already. Our daughter’s cat, Nibbles, turned 14 last month. I remember taking a picture of him as a, 8-week old kitten sleeping on my wife chest as she was taking a nap on the couch. (Nice excuse to take a nap grandma!) Our daughter has another cat, Cami. Cami is the unsociable one, hiding - or not bothering to get up from her cat nap - whenever anyone shows up. She will come out to see me once in a while, probably only because she’s a little hungry and wants me to give her a treat. Our daughter’s new dog is about 4 or 5 months old already. I’m not really sure. Guess I’ll have to ask - again! We also watched our own pets - cats, dogs, birds and Guinea pigs - grow up, get old (or severely ill) and pass away. Where has the time gone?


You were n~o~d~d~i~n~g! LOLOL


I think before I was nodding, I was dozing! :rofl: