Meet our new WorldView-4 satellite

I can’t copy the picture (sorry), but here was a pic at T -5 from today.

This is from the United Launch Alliance’s facebook page.

@HappyMapper someone needs to reset the countdown clock on the micro-site.

They will likely keep close to the same launch time, e.g. sometime around 11 to 11:45 am PDT.

Location Local time Time zone UTC offset
San Francisco (USA - California) Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 11:00:00 AM PDT UTC-7 hours
New York (USA - New York) Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 2:00:00 PM E

Corresponding UTC (GMT) Sat, September 17, 2016 at 18:00:00

Time Converter
Enter CA time 11 am in the top box. (Pick any USA, California city–all on PDT)

Enter your location in the 2nd box.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Also, the ULA YouTube link I posted will only start the live-streaming video when pre-launch is underway. I left the window open, with my speakers on loud, so I would hear when launch control began to speak (they never spoke today).

Yeh I know, I was speaking of this:

Which was a countdown clock.

I’m wondering, when “labor” is delayed, do they throw a big blanket over the rocket? LOL

Also wondering if all the godparents at DigitalGlobe had a fretful night?

Already getting re-excited for today!! Guess I need to visit my own Catnip Lounge.

This url gives a mock up of what will happen during WV4 launch.

Dang… postponed…
“Update: Sept. 16, 2016, 5 p.m. PDT – The launch of a United Launch Alliance Atlas V carrying the WorldView-4 satellite is scheduled for Sunday, Sept. 18 to allow the team additional time to evaluate the cause of the ground leak anomaly experienced during propellant tanking. The launch window opens at 11:30 a.m. PDT.”

Breathe, breathe…[quote=“cageycat, post:26, topic:3958”]
wondering if all the godparents at DigitalGlobe had a fretful night?
[/quote]
@ ~$150M for the launch (- WV4 itself) I’m sure they are taking some deep breaths to…

:laughing: @ @Michael10 too funny! The stork however is getting wing fatigue and hopes that this time it is a go. Given what happened last week at Cape Canaveral it probably has the labor and delivery team taking extra precautions. Don’t blame them!!!

Hey, you said you couldn’t upload image. Here is the image I was able to snag. I use the image as my background image on windows main screen. Hope you like it. bob

This photo also makes a cool wallpaper.

Here is an interesting animation of WV4 lifting off, reaching orbit, and opening solar panels. It’s a bit hard to hear the speaker due to sound effects.

At 8:44, the speaker clears his animation tools to show a “desktop” image with WV4 flying.

Nice pic of Northern Lights at 8:51-54.

Another WV4 screenshot at 9:05

Oooooo… This is a more glitzy (professionally produced) visual description of WV4 plus words from our own Dr Scott. One interesting point he makes is WV4 is totally ‘commercial’, so WV4 won’t be doing gov’t imaging. I can’t recall all the numbers, but … by golly, it’s impressive!

Oh, and I saw on another animation that those Cube-Sats are lined up in a row of 4. Each looks like 2 boxes (cubes) atop each other. First door opens and out pops Cube 1 and floats away… and so on until all are released. Haven’t had time yet to read up on what Cube-Sats do, though.

A look at the new “baby”.

Anyway, this “labor” is getting awfully long. Worried about Momma Rocket and Babe WV4. Hope it’s a perfect day in California for launch!

@Tomnod has been so quiet… Hope they pop into our “waiting room” here to give us Nodders an update.

LAUNCH UPDATE: The launch of a United Launch Alliance Atlas V carrying the WorldView-4 mission was scrubbed today due to a fire at Vandenberg Air Force Base. The launch vehicle and payload are secure in the Mobile Service Tower at SLC-3. The launch is rescheduled for no earlier than Tuesday, Sept. 20.

via facebook

Darn I won’t be here for it then… talk about your long labor. :frowning2: I hope and pray the fire isn’t tied into the bombs in NJ and NY, the knifing in MN and the gas pipe rupture in AL. Sure seems like the last 72 hours have been insane beyond words… full moon maybe? :upside_down: At this rate WV4 will have skipped kindergarten and be heading to college before it is born!!! :mortar_board:

Harvest moon was yesterday, I read somewhere.

I saw these stats:
"In late July, the Lockheed Martin-built WorldView-4 satellite traveled 250 miles to the base from Sunnyvale in a special container designed to mimic a clean-room environment.

The DigitalGlobe commercial imaging spacecraft is scheduled to take a much-longer trip Sept. 15 when it heads to a place in space 400 miles above Earth aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket.

“WorldView-4 will help us continue to transform the way we see the world, and advance our mission of keeping our planet and its people safe and secure,” said Walter Scott, founder and chief technology officer of Westminster, Colo.-based DigitalGlobe.

Once launched, WorldView-4 will double DigitalGlobe’s coverage and increase the rate at which it grows its 15-year library of time-lapse high-resolution imagery.

The spacecraft will circle the globe every 90 minutes, traveling 17,000 mph and capturing more than 262.550 square miles of the Earth’s surface daily — the equivalent of the land area of Texas."

Quoted from https://www.noozhawk.com/article/satellites_vandenberg_air_force_base_for_september_blastoffs_20160806

Related Stories listed on that page:

Atlas V Rocket Launch Attempt Delayed Due to Fire at Vandenberg AFB, September 18, 2016
Brush Fire at South Vandenberg Air Force Base Grows to 400 Acres, September 17, 2016
Atlas V Rocket Launch Countdown Scrubbed at Vandenberg Air Force Base, September 16, 2016
Atlas 5 Rocket on Track For Friday Blastoff from Vandenberg AFB, September 15, 2016
WorldView-4 Satellite Sits Atop Atlas 5 Rocket For Launch From Vandenberg AFB, September 13, 2016

Update: Sept. 18, 2016, 8:45 a.m. PDT: The launch of a United Launch Alliance Atlas V carrying the WorldView-4 satellite is no earlier than Monday, Sept. 26 due to Western Range availability. The launch vehicle and payload are secure in the Mobile Service Tower at SLC-3.

:cry: well darn… :slight_smile: at least I will get to see it on the 26th… so far :upside_down:

Hi all, yikes this has been a whirlwind of a week, lots of ups and downs, but it looks like we’re rescheduled for Sept 26th (with the 27th as a backup date).

To keep you entertained, here’s the official WV4 launch music playlist: https://play.spotify.com/user/digitalglobe/playlist/3QuA9CVaeGlkRK2uJlgFde

As long as ‘baby WV4’, Momma Rocket, and all the DG godparents are okay, we will all breathe a little easier. First time “false labor” is always anxiety-ridden! And lots of worries. I hope some of you get to go back to CA to see the ‘real’ birth. Gosh darn it, pesky fires.

Hey, Happy, could WV3 take some pics of WV4 on the launch pad so we can see… or did they move WV4 somewhere out of harm’s way? Would not mind tagging their fire, either, unless that’s not okay to do with it being a mil base??

Our bestest wishes to everyone. :rocket: :cat:

Google maps https://www.google.com.au/maps/@34.6402708,-120.589286,20z/data=!3m1!1e3 show DG already spying on AFB :wink:

BTW
That is the white tower above, which rolls back on those tracks, right, to expose the Atlas for launch.
I don’t know how old that image is, but that is what it would look like now.