Memorial Day - no go this week

I wanted to go home to put flowers on my parents’ graves, my mom’s parents’ graves, and my mom’s grandparents’ graves… and our ancestors in 2 lines born abt 1810… e.g. the entire line from 1810 to me.

Those are the known (not unmarked) graves.

Was thinking of sprinkling marigold seeds all over the “meadow” where the ancestral church stood. Of course, I gotta be able to stand and walk, first.

Families in the early 1900s used to pack lunches and blankets, walk miles to cemeteries, lay blankets between tombstone rows, and have picnic lunches while the kids ran around the cemetery playing tag etc. Water in a nearby spring was ice cold to drink. They planted real flowers, and after socializing, they walked home and got there around dusk. Can you imagine families today with blankets folded over their arms and carrying picnic baskets along Rt 40, destination, “cemetery luncheon”. Fried chicken or potato salad, anyone? Sandwich? The sun’s already down here… but we can pretend…

yeah, I didn’t get to go to do our graves this year yet, as my car died Friday, and of course no one was open to fix it. So with a lot of luck they’ll be open tomorrow and maybe done by Friday of this week. Sheesh! We still did the picnic lunch when I was little cause it took all day to get around these hills and gullies and up and down small mountains. None of the roads except the big state roads were paved, so you had to go slow or you would slide around on the gravel. Mom still planted geraniums and lilies on the graves and I got delegated to go and pump the water and hall it back to wherever Mom was planting. There was an ice cream stand by the local park where the watering trough was and if Mom was feeling pleased with the day’s work, we might get a cone. Some of the old cemeteries were not mowed and Mom would bring a sickle to cut a pathway to our grave sites and around our stones. They hadn’t invented string trimmers yet. Dear heavens, it sounds like I’m talking about the 1890’s, but this was in the 1950’s. Progress has really zipped along since then.

My wife and I usually went to the rural cemetery in the hill town where her mom, dad and one of her sisters are buried. My wife usually plants a Lilly-of-the-valley - her mom’s most favorite flower. One year the caretaker told us that it was against the rules to plant such flowers (as they do spread and he has to do the mowing and weed whacking), but seeing how he grew up knowing the entire family, always “let it slide.” :wink: Then we’d turn around and head in the opposite direction past our town and into the next one before the city to the cemetery where my parents, aunts and uncles are buried. My father was always partial to Zinnias, so I’d usually sneak a few seeds into the soil around their headstone. But usually when I checked on them, they were cut down before they got chance to flower - except twice. :slight_smile: One has to be careful of what “real” flowers are planted in a cemetery as some do spread quite rampantly. And that’s exactly what the caretakers don’t want to happen. Oh well. Anyway, this year we didn’t make it to either cemetery. While we had to babysit, we could have packed the girls up and brought them with us, but it rained all last night, and all day today. It finally stopped just around 5 PM. The sun peaked out about 6 PM and hung around until just before sunset before it was blocked out by clouds again. Maybe on my son’s next day off we can sneak away to do our thing. But chances of that are slim as our daughter-in-law is ready to pop any day now. :laughing: Her baby is due within the next 48 hours. We’ll have our 4th grandchild… the 3rd granddaughter. :heart_eyes:

I was just thinking about New Year’s Eve. Every year the very first thing I say out loud is, “Happy birthday, dad” to my late father-in-law. Not really a weird thing to say on a holiday…

I forgot, I want to visit my sister … and bro-in-law’s graves – who isn’t really where he’s supposed to be next to her LOL. He was Navy.

I guess we could start at theirs (in a county south), then, come back “to town” past the tiny airport for my parents (dad was Navy)… then the longggg way to a hill with a weird name (no, I’m not telling!) and go north to the one church (that got torn down)… got Rev D and his wife, and JP their son and Rev. D’s sister & family and her son from the CW… these folks were Brethren so no wars. JP was a Deacon where his dad preached. Then, I’d go back and go across the main road, south to the mother church where JA and EA (born 1810) are buried. Then backtrack and go out to a small town where my grandparents are and her brother/wife are buried.

My grandma loved African Violets, but not sure they’d last with all the weeds… mostly poison ivy and oak ground vines. Those 2 cems only mowed twice a year. Not sure if the “city” ceme allows live plants. frown. Only the pacifists w/ poisonous vines might get some live flowers, I guess. LOL

Haven’t been “home” in years… :-/

Pass the fried chicken!

3 posts were split to a new topic: Nodding over Beautiful Baby Brianna

I was just re-reading a few posts and this one made me this of the red shale roads in Conesville, NY where my wife’s uncle used to live. I can just imagine being in a an aircraft and looking down at them. They’d appear to be winding streams of blood. Lots of iron in that shale up on the mountain. :slight_smile:

Oh, having just heard fire sirens a short time ago and just mentioning the word “mountain” brought back a memory of our fire company (volunteer) going to a fire convention in Ashland, NY. The parade is on the top of a mountain so all the trucks were stopping at the bottom, opening their valves, turning a pump (auxiliary cooling) and taking their time heading up the steep mountain. Suddenly a fire truck shot past an entire line of trucks and engines, blowing their air horns and waving to us. :grimacing: Around the next bend we found the truck pulled over to the side of the road - overheated! :laughing: They had to do what the rest of us did at the bottom of the mountain and wait for the motor to cool down. They finally arrived for the parade, narrowly missing their line up. :smile: At least they had the sense to go slow back down the mountain or they would have ended up going so fast they’d be in the next state! :laughing: (Okay, a wee bit of exaggeration there.) :wink: