Northern Lights and Dream Vacations

@Helen - aurora chasing is a dream of mine too!!! Hope to hear all about it.

2018 Staff Vacation

If you ever get chance, it’s definitely worth going! I get tingles and goosebumps even just thinking about it now, I think I’m well and truly hooked!

These were a couple of pics from the first time I saw them, 2014…

This display covered the entire sky (it didn’t matter which way you looked) and went on for hours!

And you don’t even need clear skies to see them (from 2015)…

Can’t wait til October… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::upside_down_face::innocent:

I got to see the “northern lights” once from my own town. One year they were visible down here in upstate New York, so I drove down to the river by the town waste water treatment plant - nice and dark. The aurora looked like ribbon candy as it danced from north to south and was rainbow-colored. I think it only lasted for an hour or so at its height of intensity, but it was beautiful indeed! :heart_eyes:

Wow, sounds wonderful! There have been a couple of times in the last few years when it’s been seen from the south of the UK, but it has to be a really BIG event for that to happen. In winter, I always have the camera batteries charged up and everything ready so I can get in the car at short notice!

I’d go to live somewhere where they were potentially visible any time it was dark, the only problem is all those places are just too darned cold for me!

I’ve been up in Lac LaBiche sorta NE of Edmonton, in Alberta, and saw the lights there. When you are out in the middle of nowhere, and it is colder than whatever, then air crackles and snaps and seeing the lights there is kinda spooky. One old fella told me that if the lights hit ya, you’ll disappear. Also saw them over in Alaska on the Dalton on the way to Prudhoe Bay.

I was out in -25°C (-13°F) for a few hours one night, the display was sooooo good I didn’t really notice the cold (and I had wrapped up well!). They are very ethereal, and graceful.

Alaska is another place on the “bucket list” that I want to see the lights from (and all the beautiful scenery too!)

We have the Northern Lights in Saskatchewan mostly year round. In the Fall, end of September, they are the best. It’s warmer to be out there to see them! I love being up at a northern lake and sitting on the edge of the lake to watch the lights dancing and moving. Our province is called the “Land of the Living Skies”.

@Beverly1 I have been up that highway further north at Muriel Lake near Bonnyville to watch the Northern Lights.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/skaurorahunters

Oooh, Terri, can I set up camp in your back garden?!? :upside_down_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Sounds like a wonderful place to live…

It is for Northern Lights and lots of nature…Cold…another story!!!

Yes, I have to say the cold would put me off… short visits to cold climates are bearable for me (but only because of the ulterior motive of seeing nature’s beauty), but longer-term, I think I’d need to take too many :pill::pill: to keep the joint pains at bay.

I would love to see the northern lights one day!! No one wants to go with me that far north in the winter :snowflake: :snowman_with_snow:

I did, however, get to see the total eclipse just north of Boise last summer. That was magical. There is another one in the USA in 2024 and then not again until the late 2040s. it is worth going to - one of the most amazing experiences in my life.

What year do you think it will be when we talk about the 20s and it is not 1920s we’re talking about? or the teens? I remember when it sounded weird to call a year “twenty - fill in blank” Then about 2010 it sounded okay. I still don’t like the sound of “twenty-oh-seven” i still call it “two thousand and seven”

:thinking: :nerd_face:

Probably around 2050. :expressionless: :neutral_face: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :wink: :slightly_smiling_face: :smiley: :laughing: :rofl:

Seeing the lights would (at least temporarily) overcome any dislike of cold climates. I’d come with you…
Furthest north I’ve been is 71.1695° N (North Cape in Norway, beautiful but really desolate snowy-white in winter), that’s where I experienced the -25°C (-13°F) in February.
Trying to get there again, but in October this time, so it shouldn’t have had chance to get too cold when I pay a visit… :snowflake::cloud_with_snow:

We might see the end of that one as a partial eclipse from some parts of the UK.
Our next total eclipse won’t be until 2090, I don’t somehow think I’ll be around to see that one! :upside_down_face:

I think I may just barely miss that one. :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :rofl: Heck, even if I were still alive, I’d be too old to be able to look up! :laughing:
The other day I was at the town clerk’s office and saw an old friend of mine. I had my 4-year old granddaughter with me. As we talked, she played and ran around the chairs set up for a town board meeting. My friend asked, “Don’t you wish you could move that fast?” I replied, “No… I’d probably break something.” :laughing:

That’s why you would wheel your bed outside :sleeping_bed::stars:

I once saw the sunset and rise just south of the Arctic Circle in northern Iceland in July. I went for a walk at sunset ~ 1:00 am and then it dipped below the horizon for maybe 15 minutes and popped back up a little maybe 0.5 degrees to the east!

I know someone who did geology fieldwork in northern Siberia near a desolate lake with no topography. He said the sun just completely circled the low horizon each day, never setting or rising, and was very disorienting! I’d love to experience that.

You could always sit in a swivel chair and spin around until you are so dizzy you can’t stand up. That would be very disorienting. :rofl: Okay… I’m going to bed! Good night! :laughing:

:joy: and I would have to have a fixed flashlight so I can pretend it’s the sun :rofl::joy:
Goodnight!

There are some amazing photos of aurora at Mawson station:

http://www.antarctica.gov.au/about-antarctica/environment/atmosphere/aurora