Oooo-- SpaceNet!

In some exciting news:

“SpaceNet satellite imagery repository launched by DigitalGlobe, CosmiQ Works and NVIDIA on AWS” posted Aug 25, 2016:

“With an increase in the number of CubeSats, high-resolution satellites and drones of every shape and size, we have accumulated petabytes of imaging data that can be processed with analytics to solve myriad problems.” [Petabytes is defined as 250 bytes; 1024 terabytes, or a million gigabytes. Ooooo-kay! Uh, I don’t think I’ll get through that much in my lifetime, even with my 9 lives. LOL]

… "The satellite imagery in the SpaceNet database will be able to serve as training data for new generations of intelligent analytics tools for deconstructing large quantities of imagery and quickly generating insights.

“As our processing capabilities grow in availability, and our algorithms and statistical tools become more efficient, so-called “training” time for machine learning is decreasing. As a result, for the first time, it’s becoming possible to work through massive, complex data sets in hours and minutes instead of years and months.”

SpaceNet on AWS “The current SpaceNet corpus includes approximately 1,900 square kilometers full-resolution 50 cm imagery collected from DigitalGlobe’s WorldView-2 commercial satellite and includes 8-band multispectral data. The dataset also includes 220,594 building footprints derived from this imagery which can be used as training data for machine learning. This dataset is being made public to advance the development of algorithms to automatically extract geometric features such as roads, building footprints, and points of interest using satellite imagery. The first Area of Interest (AOI) to be released is of Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.”

I wonder if Nodders will get to use both sites, our usual Tomnod platform and the SpaceNet platform? Stay tuned ! Though it looks (to me) like the SpaceNet site will be more for experts or those working on projects, geo-research, and machine learning, it’s wonderful that it is under License as Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International.

I can’t wait to hear more about this!

This is The Cat, for Mew News…

A post was split to a new topic: Post about Skynet Terminator