Technical - Request to show actual counter numbers

Hey there technical folks – would it be possible to get an extra digit on the Areas Searched counter? Once I passed three figures, with no decimal number possible it is a L-O-N-G haul (1k images) between counter integer changes, which is a little mentally tough.

Technical - idea re: clouds and question
Asking to show actual counter numbers

Or at least put the full numbers in the window that pops up when you click on any of the three numbers (i.e. Areas searched, Tags dropped, and Consensus Score).

+1 to that! @Newtonian, you must have been reading my mind, I was only thinking about how good it would be to see the ACTUAL count earlier on today…!
I guess it should be possible to either have a toggle control that the user decides what they want to see, or to detect what type of device is being used (e.g. a 7" tablet screen vs. a 24"+ hi-res monitor) and automatically display the appropriate figure depending on the amount of screen real-estate available.

@Mel_Nod, would you please ask your technical staff to change how the numbers are displayed in the window that pops up when you click on the displayed numbers close to the top right-hand corner. The window only shows the exact same numbers as the ones you’ve already clicked on. I’d like to see the “full numbers”, i.e., 10,793 instead of 10.7k instead.

Just hover over it. :smiley:

They do not plan to change the way the number is displayed…

Sorry, but I don’t understand what you mean, @cageycat.

Doesn’t work for me. I don’t get anything when I just hover the cursor over the numbers.
Shame there’s no plan to show the true figures, it’s something that has bugged me for a long long time…

This question has been asked before, and Helen and I were active then, too.

Oh, they stopped that, too.

In year 1, they showed the entire number. In year 2, they revamped the entire platform. Later, they said they were not going back to the full number… and later still, they said they would not return the mini-map we used to have on the right lower corner.

As far as the number, the last digit changes every 10 tiles. Watch it til it changes, then count to 10.

Happy used to look up actual numbers when asked, if she wasn’t too busy. Ask Mel after Christmas if she could. I know she’s been very busy, too.

Well, if you’re between 1k and 9.9k you’re correct.

If you’re between 10.0k and 99.9k, you’ll have to count to 100, and that’s harder.

And if you’re at 100k or above… Good luck. (I was close to that, at 92.3k, when the previous Weddell seal campaign suddenly ended.)

Yeah, I was just thinking of 10 to the x power.

Hi everybody. I want to let you know that I’ve logged this request. It’s something I’d like to see, too. I enjoy seeing every single vote counted!

I wish that I had an on-the-ready army of engineers to fix tomnod any way we want to see it. Unfortunately, at this point, we don’t. I am most often leveraging our technical help for the bugs and crashes that we see somewhat regularly, and often don’t get around to the more cosmetic fixes that are also important because it would make Tomnod a better experience.

So I can’t promise this as soon as I would like, but I want to let you know that I agree this is a good suggestion and one I’d like to see, too.

When they changed the platform, they said they would not return the long numbers. Appreciate you asking, but that was the last word we heard.

No matter what happens, thank you for trying. I think maybe from the technical standpoint showing every single change - for every nodder - would be a great strain on the server. And you know how some nodders shoot through these maps! :wink: