Ways to boost your motivation in campaigns

Everyone has different ways to jumpstart your momentum and motivation to do campaigns.

I thought we could all share some tactics we use to get us over humps and slumps to get the task completed.

Here are some methods I use—

1. Everyone uses the counter to motivate. Whether every 100 or 1,000 tiles, seeing that counter move gives instant feedback about your contributions. But sometimes, counting that way gets boring.

2. II admit, I’m a tile-row counter… meaning right to left or up and down. Counting as I move occupies my mind. If I know it is 53 across, hitting those last 3 gives a little boost. :smiley:

3. The random Jump. If you are a more “organized” searcher (across, down, across…row after row), you might enjoy focusing on doing Jump for a period, say 15 to 30 minutes… or by counting a set number (whatever # you choose). You might do 20 jumps, then stop and return to an organized search pattern.

4. If you always go across, then up or down, and across, try going up or down the tiles. I think @EmeraldEyes said she sometimes makes a “box” going round and round a starting tile.

5. Another kewl thing to do during off-hours* is to set your browser low (say 33%) or zoom out -5 and see how much of the map you’ve uncovered. When you click a tile, it will go back to a higher zoom, but you also need to reset your browser (Control Key plus the + key) to go back to 100%. [By off-hours, I mean after 6pm to about 7am Colorado time, or on weekends. Letting large sections of the map load seems to drag more on the servers during the business day.]

So how do you get going again or give yourself a boost to complete more of a campaign?

I need some new methods. :smiley:

Cageycat
Tomnod Mod

Since I have “the patience of a saint” (as my mother always told me :grinning:), I begin by zooming out to 5, find where I am on the map, drag my cursor up to (or down to) a corner, then go across, down (or up) one, and across again. Once in a great while I’ll divide the map into two and work on one half at a time. I do have to admit however, I have once or twice completed about 3 to 5 columns on a side, completed 3 to 5 rows at the top, then the same for the columns on the opposite side, then I started at a bottom corner and row by row worked myself up the map. But, usually I just plug along row by row as in my first sentence. :wink: Guess I have “the patience.” :innocent::laughing:

[quote=“cageycat, post:1, topic:3743”]
The random Jump. If you are a more “organized” searcher (across, down, across…row after row), you might enjoy focusing on doing Jump for a period, say 15 to 30 minutes… or by counting a set number (whatever # you choose). You might do 20 jumps, then stop and return to an organized search pattern.
[/quote]Especially good when you’ve been stuck in clouds looking for breaks in the or particularly when stuck in amongst trees and you desperately need a change of scenery :wink:

Thank You for sharing your methods.

Personnaly, I like to draw a big cross and I count how many tiles there are from top to bottom and horizontally. Then, I draw 10 by 10 boxes, filling the boxes up and down. Each box completed is a 100 tiles.

I start wherever I am dropped. I start making a square and when that becomes boring I turn it into a rectangle and then when that is boring I turn it into a pyramid. Sometimes I meander to an edge and tie it in to what I have been working on and then spiral my way into the center. No rhyme or reason just mapping away. Music helps too! :radio: :musical_score: :notes:

like Cagey up in those California mtns.

That would probably make me dizzy - especially after getting “stuck in clouds” for a while! :dizzy_face:

I was getting dizzy scrolling over sparkly black water in the Libya Ghost Ship campaign!!