Weddel Seals - Mawson & Davis Adare Seas - Inverted image query

Hi Mel / @Michelle4

Quick question because I’m so tempted to say there are seals within this poly…just white instead of black and scattered similarly to what we normally vote on and tag :thinking: http://www.tomnod.com/campaign/campaign_2235/question/403154

2017-2018 Weddel Seals - Mawson & Davis Adare Seas - POI and Fun Finds
2017 Dec New Antarctica Weddel Seals campaign - Mawson and Davis Adare Seas

4 posts were split to a new topic: Weddel Seals - Mawson & Davis Adare Seas - POI and Fun Finds

Albino seals? :slight_smile:

There seems to be bigger areas of wind-driven snow up and slightly to the left of the polygon, so I guess the “albino seals” are patches of that snow, too.

idea5 Yeh but maybe it snowed heavily and they all got covered :rofl:

Joking aside, I was thinking more along the lines of a reverse negative image like this one:-

Boy that momma’s scary looking.

Noooo, cagey, that was a genuine query I made to @Mel_Nod and @Michelle4 that still stands :smile:
It just went a little off topic…again :roll_eyes: :blush:

Just send me a PM and let me change the topic header, and / or resplit posts from it. Thanks!

Okey-doke :smiley: sorry :blush:

Hi @EmeraldEyes this is a GREAT question! I’m circling around with Michelle, our seals expert. I think there’s a possibility that because of the way this image was processed, the seals are appearing white (but not sure myself). Would be helpful to know and even post to our examples. Will keep you posted!

errrm…I’m kinda hoping I’m wrong now as I consider the negative votes made so far and previous campaigns not tagged as seals :grimacing: :blush:

But just incase…I’ve donned my running and am ready to duck and run stupid Tomatoe :rofl:

Hi @EmeraldEyes! Officially in from Michelle…Not Seals!

Thanks for checking Mel :smiley: I did have my doubts when I came across seals on that same map last night and they were black :smirk: Uncanny though how those white fleks look similar, even in the scatter pattern along the crack in the ice. Wonder if it’s something to do with the physical impression they’ve left behind in the ice/snow :thinking:

That’s because she just woke up and hasn’t “fixed herself up” yet! :roll_eyes::wink::rofl:

WeddellStartled :rofl: