What happens to our tagging

Just have some general questions, sorry if they have been answered elsewhere. When we do tags, do they immediately go to someone? OR do you have to finish the entire grid (which could take days) for the tags to go somewhere. Yesterday I tagged 2 flooded small rural bridges from Oct 9 as I recall, so hoping that went to someone, as it’s important. There was no other “so many agree” note on the tags, so maybe they hadn’t been seen yet. Also, is there any way to find out where it is that we are working? How do I find where in Puerto Rico I’m working? Thx!

H. Maria - "I ain't going nowhere but where I've been"

Hi Anne,

Welcome. I’m half asleep but I’ll try to answer.

Campaigns rely on a x10 consensus. Everyone’s tagging forms a data picture, which analysts at DigitalGlobe /Tomnod then check and compile for OpenSource sharing (https://www.digitalglobe.com/opendata ). Ground authorities can access that site.

In the tasks we do, Nodders do not need to know locations. But curiosity usually prevails. :smiley: Nodder Sleuths here are usually good at figuring out precise locations. But I’ve been doing this so long, it doesn’t phase me to not know the city, as long as I have a country (or in this case, which island).

You can search for topics using that little magnifying glass… or just ask. Someone is typically around.

Again, welcome to the Nodder Community.

CageyCat
Forum Moderator

Thank you, not desperate to know the locations, I enjoy helping, but then I’ll see a small town on the news and wonder… :thinking:
Thx for the info!

Hello and welcome @Anne, thank you for tagging.

To answer your other question, you do not need to tag everything on a sheet for data to be recorded. Every point you place is recorded in our database, even just one! Likewise, if you encounter one of tomnod’s famous bugs and something goes wrong with your tagging or you lose previous tags, they may be lost on your interface but will not be lost in the main database. Hope that helps, and thanks again.

Great! Thank you for explaining!!

You are less likely to see a “so many agree” consensus pop up on large areas such as roads, bridges, warehouses and such because it depends on where the individual nodders drop their tags :wink: I came across 2 warehouse next to each other, both damaged, one had a consensus the other didn’t. So I dropped more tags on it just out of curiosity and discovered the consensus of tags had actually been dropped on the damage itself right on a corner of that building :smiley: Naturally I removed the other tags then :wink: For a bridge I’d just drop a tag in the centre of it; for roads, I tag the damage/either end of flooding/either end of the tile, it just depends on how far the damage travels :slight_smile:

Just as an aside, you don’t actually have to tag the damage; on buildings, I tend to just drop my tags in the centre :wink:

Blockquote @EmeraldEyes: I came across 2 warehouse next to each other, both damaged, one had a consensus the other didn’t. So I dropped more tags on it just out of curiosity and discovered the consensus of tags had actually been dropped on the damage itself right on a corner of that building :smiley: Naturally I removed the other tags then :wink:

So all the others tagged the damage, and only you tagged in the middle of the building - sounds like the driver on the highway complaining that all the other cars were driving in the wrong direction… :slight_smile:

Oh oh! Road rage! :rofl:

Last night, coming home, I was crawling along at 20mph…in my car…in a 20mph zone…with the car behind me hugging my bumper. Suddenly he blasts his horn at me and made me jump (I could see him scowling at me through the rear view mirror) enough to jerk the steering wheel slightly and clip the curb :angry: I righted myself and just carried on at 20mph as my turn off was only a few yards ahead…right at the boundary to the 30mph zone :roll_eyes: where I left him to race off still scowling :smile: I suppose he’ll be blasting his horn at the next driver in front of him for doing 30mph :laughing:

Thanks for explaining how you tag items.
The damaged bridges I saw were very small bridges in remote areas, so the tag covered the whole bridge practically.

Anne

Relatively new Nodder, so some of you old-timers correct me if I’m off target here – but as a long time retired Imagery Intelligence Analyst I know that the National Photographic Interpretation Center (now the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency) had resources dedicated to direct imagery assessment support to organizations like FEMA, and National Interagency Fire Center, as well as first responders for all types of national disasters. This was what I would term the “tactical” or “real time” imagery support to immediate rescue and recovery operations. The crowd sourcing technique of imagery support from Tomnod is less timely and more of a “strategic” support to assist responding organizations in prioritizing application of resources over an extended period of follow-up recovery. Still very important, but different context of time sensitivity.

Great response @gwinsgolf. Better watch out or we’ll make you start talking for us!!