What is hope to be accomplished by tagging PR that is almost 100 percent devastated?

What is the purpose of tagging each house that is destroyed when the whole Island is pretty much gone? What am I missing?

I live in an old steel mill & coal mine town. “Company housing” was built on precisely measured parcels of land, side by side, up and down narrow streets. Where I live is different-- it was built in the 1800s by a rich guy who owned a leatherworks factory.

Across the bridge and after a couple miles, lands open up to single family homes built on acres before the next house. One horse-farm here extends along the entire length of the road, before abutting a Friend’s Church.

On my city street, we’d tag 8-10 houses or more on one side of a small city block. For those single family homes across the bridge, you might tag 2 or 3 in the same length (if measured as a city block). The horse-farm, just 1 house with tons of land.

Though we know PR is nearly 100% devastated, they have SAR people on the ground with no idea of what neighborhoods should be. That info can help for getting food and water in… wouldn’t it be awful to show up with enough water for the 2 single family homes but give 0 water for my congested city block?

Post disaster, politicians will ask FEMA hard questions about rebuilding, same as they did at Valpariso, IN… New Orleans, LA… and likely in TX and FL – “Should we invest to rebuild where we know storm damage / flooding is severe? Or, does the gov’t forbid it?” They moved the entire Indiana town back in (1994?) to the top of a hill ! That’s just one example of post-issues.

Why do we tag? Why did we tag bomb craters seemingly a mile wide in a former-war torn country? Why did we tag “every” house in the UK a year-2 yrs ago that experienced flooding?

So authorities can plan recovery.

So people and their property get “counted”.

WE are the “Damaged Houses Census Takers” so THAT house, with THOSE residents, on THAT street and THIS hilltop / beachside / neighborhood / town / community will be “counted”… and they will ‘count’.

So there is hope.

That’s all.

Well said. Were you a politician… no, an activist of sort in one of your previous nine lives? :smirk_cat:

Nurses are better than politicians.

:face_with_thermometer:

@Longshot we don’t know what we’re looking at till we’re looking at it. That’s the beauty and the curse of crowdsourcing. There may be areas and types of buildings or materials or aspects that are more or less impacted. That could be useful long-term planning. It’s also one thing to say that PR is devastated and another to see what this means quantified, in data.

We’d love to have your input on this campaign but if it doesn’t seem like a good effort to you, please help us look for seals!