2018 Campaign Request - Tracking run-off from CAFOs after Hurricane Florence

There seems to be many articles on this problem before and after Hurricane Florence:

https://waterkeeper.org/campaign/pure-farms-pure-waters/north-carolina

Coal Ash reservoir breached today, putting Coal Ash into the Fear River. Company disputes this.

Do you have a link to this? I’d like to read about that. My DIL and I were just talking about the coal ash and the waste from the CAFOs yesterday… or was that this morning? Senior moment! :roll_eyes: :slightly_smiling_face:

It was on Rachel Maddow tonight. MSNBC Repeats at midnight.

Dam breach at Duke plant in N.C.; Coal ash could spill

Duke Energy confirms new coal ash spill in North Carolina

There are also lots of articles available via the NCSU library. This has been well documented, but assessing actual environmental impact from above is another issue. Even if it is just one spill or breach that is examined with hyperspectral imagery, that would be a good start. I’m in the middle of a move right now, but hopefully I can spend some time this fall. Trying to keep my sanity. :slight_smile:

Trying to keep your sanity on this forum is also hard, just as @kateg through @kateg13. :rofl:

InSaNiTy

Uhm… the video ends with a gun, so I won’t post it.

Vocaloid

Featuring KAITO & SF-A2 miki

The unneeded meaning of start and end
To the disappearance of this soul
Who remembers characters?
From the window of madness, goodbye

Hello, myself
Haven’t we met before?
Goodbye, yourself
So, want to talk?

iNSaNiTY
Like floating on air
PSYCHoPaTHY
A carefree life
iNSaNiTY
An illusion that can’t end
CaPTiViTY
Unable to run away
iNSaNiTY
Like floating on air
PSYCHoPaTHY
A carefree life
iNSaNiTY
CaPTiViTY
Like the corruption is continuing

The discovered conclusion, disappearing
Outlines fading to black
In the darkness, there’s no such thing as light
From the inside of madness, goodbye

Hello, myself
Haven’t we met before?
Goodbye, yourself
So, want to talk?

iNSaNiTY
Like floating on air
PSYCHoPaTHY
A carefree life
iNSaNiTY
CaPTiViTY
Unable to run away
iNSaNiTY
Like floating on air
PSYCHoPaTHY
A carefree life
iNSaNiTY
CaPTiViTY
Like the corruption is continuing

Hey, haven’t we met somewhere in the past?
Hey, you’re special to me, I want to talk to you
Hey, what time is it? What’s today? I don’t know
Hey! It would be great if we completely forgot

iNSaNiTY
It’s like floating on air
PSYCHoPaTHY
A carefree life
iNSaNiTY
Dark? Light?
iNSaNiTY
iNSaNiTY

sAnIty
Can’t see the dark already
pUrIty
The days are longer
sAnIty
But that also must sink
“sAnIty”
…What is that?

iNSaNiTY
Like floating on air
PSYCHoPaTHY
A carefree life
iNSaNiTY
CaPTiViTY
Unable to run away
iNSaNiTY
Like floating on air
PSYCHoPaTHY
A carefree life
iNSaNiTY
CaPTiViTY
The corruption is continuing

P.S. The group spells it “iNSaNiTY”.

http://blogs.harvard.edu/billofhealth/2018/10/02/hurricane-florence-and-the-health-effects-of-climate-change/

I understand your sentiments, Kate… :frowning: :crying_cat_face:

• However, as a reminder for everyone, don’t go into politics or I’ll have to remove those posts from the thread. If we can stay away from countries, governments, leaders, politics and politicians. then I can leave all the posts. *

No problem- that makes sense.

Since @NatalieK started this post and many conversations later, I have not seen an answer how they will “clean this up”.

https://www.ewg.org/release/map-florence-drenched-thousands-north-carolina-cafos-and-animal-waste-pits

If they don’t mention it and it falls out of the headlines, people will forget and they can go back to business as usual - until the next flood. By that time, taxpayers will be footing the bill because of the severe health consequences to millions.

Maybe an email fired off to the article’s author may get the fire going again… or get an update published at the least.

I could find an Earthjustice blog on the subject that was in 2019 …and it discusses how they are trying to change the laws of the way the waste is being stored, etc.

Sorry pals, started a new job and have not had a lot of free time. I’m hoping that laws will be changed so that there is some abatement to hog waste pollution. I follow several groups that are keeping up with the DEQ on this.
Here is an article on how Smithfield plans to convert their lagoons. And to answer this article, I did put down the bacon. :smile:

Good going on the new job @NatalieK

Congratulations on your new job, Natalie. And thank you for the link to the Smithfield article.