2018 Geology Rocks Talk

And lastly, shiny!!

Again, all the silvery places are lifted up areas of feathered-papery pieces. It’s really pretty. These are on the opposite side of the reddish-brown (iron?).

Whatcha think?

Be kind. This is the first time my rocks have been out in the public eye. LOL I’ve had both for maybe 35-40+ years.

I got the big rock from the top of this place, The PA Grand Canyon, probably from a spot on the west rim… somewhere. LOL

My preliminary opinion is that is Late Devonian, Early Mississippian age shale and sandstone layers. I’ve got a good paper from the Pennsylvania Geological Survey. I’ll post it with an explanation in the next few days.

The large rock doesn’t have any breaks, even after moving it through 4 states. No evidence that it would sheer off into thinner pieces. The most it does is leave a tiny amount of rock “dust” when moved (like shown in one photo).

A friend came over tonight. She said that big rock has to be 15 to 18 pounds… She agrees with you it has shale, but it’s unlike shale I saw from coal mine roofs in SW PA. Of course, PA Grand Canyon is anthracite coal. She agrees with me that it has little to no apparent sandstone. But neither of us are geologists.

Said the small one looks / feels like marble.

I wish I could bring them to you @kateg so you can officially Name These Rocks!

Just call em “Kitty Stones”. :smirk_cat: