2018 - H. Maria - Info and Update on progress

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/03/20/puerto-rico-6-months-after-maria-santiago-dnt-new-day.cnn

2018 - H. Maria - Puerto Rico - post-hurricane food shortages

These photos have the same “before and after” that our images do… Use the toggle.
From the ground these explain so much of what I am seeing in our images.

I’ve seen several light brown spots in the roads and I thought they were just de-nuded trees hanging over the road. It just that there are so many trees overhanging the roads it’s hard to know which spots are trees and which are roads with the pavement ripped up. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I agree…I’m sure I have tagged several tiles that were stripped trees versus the road being torn up. As well I see now the shape of 6 squares in a rectangular that we see on our image, is actually the remaining partitions of the building. And the brown water that runs and runs and how wide a path it took with it during the hurricane itself.

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/07/609205416/how-puerto-rico-plans-to-spend-1-5-billion-in-federal-recovery-grants

It is a race against time for this island…I hope and pray they are spared in 2018.

https://islandsofpuertorico.com/puerto-rico-news/

I keep putting in hours on this campaign, but it’s kind of starting to feel hopeless… percentage complete hasn’t moved in months, and if they’re hit at all this season, our work kind of becomes moot.

Hi Manarelle, I’m still working on this as well. But please don’t feel like you’re doing this for nothing. From all of our work, authorities identify what types of building construction make it through the storms and what kinds do not. And this has affected building codes all around world already! Many storm prone countries have already banned “pinned” roofs (roofs nailed on versus roofs screwed on), the angles of the roofs, widths of soffits, etc… All this to rebuild and have the buildings be safe for future storms such as H. Maria. There are other areas of construction as well that can benefit from our work by identifying landslides due to road construction and/or housing development. They can make better decisions as to where and how to build so the areas are less prone to landslides. So until the next storm, I’ll just be plugging away at this campaign. :wink:
As to the percentage completed, the last time I looked it was 68%. I have no idea as to what it is at the moment. I may check once a month… if even that often. :smiley:

Thanks for that post @Jim7 and to both you and @Manarelle for working on the campaign. I’m sorry that our bum stats page is making you feel hopeless Manarelle. Those stats actually aren’t correct at all :tired_face::pensive::disappointed:

We are actually getting to a really good place of coverage on this campaign. Each map square has been viewed by at least two people, and most have been viewed by quite a few! The median number of views per map is 6, with some maps having consensus of over 50!!!
So things are really getting done here. I am hoping to get just a littttttle more consensus on some of the lower view maps before we pull this. Thanks again for working on it.

I also agree with Jim that although we are coming up on another storm season, we did get a portion of our data out last year that was used by a number of agencies and researchers. And, when this campaign is finally finished, it will still be very useful as historical data, which can be used to look at this storm in comparison to those in the past, and unfortunately, the future.

Oh, that does make me feel better, yes. I was under the impression that each tag needed a consensus of 8 (not sure where I got that number, but it’s stuck in my head) and seeing hour after hour of 1 agree, 2 agree, occasionally only as high as 4 agree was extremely depressing. I’ll keep at it.

The original (ideal) consensus is 10, but even those with lower consensus numbers are checked - mostly likely from highest to lowest. I have switched back and forth at least 5 or 6 times on one particular building and decided that it was indeed damaged… half the roof had fallen in. When I tagged it, mine was the only tag! There were others who had tagged buildings close by, but mine was the only one on that building. I have even come across warehouses - very large ones - where the roof was gone and no one had tagged it except me (up to that point). I’m sure that eventually others will get to that map and will also tag it.
It’s the same thing in the Weddell Seal count - some have 4+ tags while others right next to them only have 1 tag. Once the professionals look at this, they’ll probably decide whether those with the single tags are seals or not. But without any tags, they’ll probably be overlooked.
Keep on tagging! :wink: :smile:

And! I was thinking of you this morning @Manarelle because a group of researchers contacted us this morning about using this data – so it is still useful, even so much later. There is still a lot to learn from all of this, and our data helps!

Lol, ok, ok, ok, I’ll keep at it. :slight_smile:

I’m not saying I’m in it for the numbers, but seeing those counters rise do help keep spirits up.

I know the feeling. When I first started, one of the campaigns had a glitch where I happened to notice that the counters stopped working, but I continued on. The next day when I logged in the numbers were all reset to where they should have been. Most of the time I ignore the counters until I’m finished nodding (tagging) just to see what the numbers are - out of curiosity. :smiley:

Ok, team what it is? Aberration from defective data downlink? Flood in progress? Really weird clouds? The Shining?

Wind blowing across water makes tiny waves. Even a brief gust of wind shooting across the water will make this. You can even watch the sparkles look like they’re running across the surface and then suddenly they’re gone. Really cool to watch while sitting there fishing. Also makes for a nice sparkly photo from above. I’ve seen many of these in the beginning of the Hurricane Maria campaign and every so often I come across one or more.

Glad someone knows what planet we’re on. I had never seen this type of sparkles before. Nitey-nite.