2018 - Hurricanes Cyclones Typhoons

I don’t know if you’ll like / approve of this song, but some little ones I know in the neighborhood love it. You could explain blue moon to her.

Smacking Mod’s typing fingers-- off topic! … sorrrrrrry!

I thought that was a beautiful song - as did Brianna (the 1-yr old for those who don’t know). She heard the song, came running into the room and shouted, “MOON!” and pointed at it smiling. She actually stood there watching and listening for almost the entire song. :heart_eyes:

https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=f4e0f76d5bee57d2&hl=en&gl=CA&source=web

Hawaii is bracing for Hurricane Olivia.

My granddaughter at first was thrilled to have a storm named after her - until I showed her two videos of just what these storms can do. And the I showed her a “before” and “after” tile from H. Maria. Then her smile went away. So, in order to console her somewhat, I told her that she should still be glad that the scientists used “her” name for a storm. I told her they never used mine. She smirked and walked away feeling a little better. :wink:

By Jack PhillipsSEPTEMBER 10, 2018

"According to the Saffir-Simpson scale, a Category 5 hurricane has 157 mph or greater winds.

For Category 4 storms, “Catastrophic damage will occur: Well-built framed homes can sustain severe damage with loss of most of the roof structure and/or some exterior walls. Most trees will be snapped or uprooted and power poles downed. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months,” says the weather agency.

But for a Category 5, it’s worse: “A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months."

See how far inland those wind bands will come in, at first, and further as it pushes inland.

I was just looking at the advisory by the National Hurricane Center for H. Florence since my son and DIL own a townhouse in Summerville (close to Charleston, SC). So far, according to the property maintenance company, they are not included in the evacuation order - yet.

My wife’s goddaughter is getting married on an island off NC on the 23, I hope the island doesn’t get devastated from this. My wife and daughter are heading down a couple of days before the wedding and staying with one of my wife’s nieces who had moved to NC from Florida. I’m not sure how close the niece lives to the coast, but I believe she is very close from what I overheard when my wife was talking about it with our daughter. (I was too busy on the forum to pay them much mind. :roll_eyes: :grin:) So we will be keeping close tabs on H. Florence. Oh, and I have an Aunt Florence. See? A lot of people know someone in their extended family that gets storms named after them. :laughing:

And in the Eastern Pacific, the Tropical Storm Paul is my baby brother’s name. (He’s not a real baby anymore. :shushing_face: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:)

I just looked also.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshws.php
I don’t know about this type of storm…it is not something that we experience so far inland from the ocean, and having the Rocky Mountains in between, they act as a buffer zone for devastating weather.

Hoping everyone in the area is safe.

We do too! We haven’t heard anything from my wife’s niece, so we’re assuming she and her fiance are okay. We’re just hoping that the hurricane doesn’t do so much damage as to put a damper (no pun intended) on their wedding plans.

My DIL was telling me tonight that the for the area their townhouse is in “… is only supposed to get 'Tropical Storm winds.” I explained to her that when sustained winds reach 74 mph/119 kph the storm is classified as a hurricane. Even if the winds are “only” 70 to 73 mph/112.6 to 117.5 kph it’s classified as a “tropical storm” - which can and does produce a lot of damage and lots of rainfall (read: flooding, power outages, etc.). From what I saw on the NHC website, at the moment they’re looking at 70 mph/112.6 kph winds where the townhouse is. This could change as the storm gets closer and comes ashore. Shingles can be dislodged and blown away, trees can topple and hit the building/windows, etc… I told her she should kept concerned about the townhouse until she hears from the maintenance company after the storm to see how their townhouse fared. As she went upstairs to bed, I could tell she was thinking deeply about what I had just said. :wink:

I’m about 130 miles/209 km north of New York City. But when hurricanes come up the coast we do get wind and rain from the storms as the clouds/winds spin around them. They still produce tropical storm winds over 100 miles/161 km inland. Hurricane Sandy affected us as did many hurricanes that came up along the coast. But with so many mountains and valleys, their effects are diminished greatly. So it’s not like we’re sitting right on the coast and baring the brunt of the storm, We get the whiplash from their outer bands.

My nephew was in New York at the time of Sandy, scary!

This just is not getting any better…hoping everyone in this area is safe!

I just spent 2-1/2 hours checking updates on H. Florence, trying to contact a few people going to be affected by it, etc… I showed my wife a video of the Tall Sail Island, NC where her goddaughter is to be married on the 23rd. At first she asked where the island was, and when I showed her (the video was taken at sea level) she said it looked like the wave break down at the river (that keep the waves from the ocean-going vessels’ wakes from battering the small boats/yachts in the marinas - like a sea wall). I likened it to the jetty we used to fish from down at the river where the Hannacroix Creek empties. At low tide you can walk out almost half-way across the mouth of the creek. But if a ship comes up or down the river, you better head back to the high ground or you’ll get swamped! At high tide the jetty is under water. My wife looked very worried when she said that this island is so low that a good-sized wave (storm surge) could wash right over it. That’s when I mentioned that on many beaches, all the sand gets washed away. My wife is going to call her goddaughter’s mother in the morning. She’s a very good friend we’ve known for 35+ years and who lives just a stone’s throw away… maybe 30 miles/48 km up in one of the the hill towns next county south of us.
Authorities are saying power could be out for up to 2 weeks or more. Sometimes, just getting back into a disaster area is harder than getting away - and also less safe. I have a gut feeling this island beach wedding may get washed out. :frowning_face:

Florence has now taken a turn…

Hawaii

14 mins ago…

Florence Live Tracking