2018 Jan to June - Keep all your Random Thoughts right here!

@TerriB & @Wilms

Thank you for your thoughts.
Terri, Thirty-six years ago, when my daughter was 10, my oldest sister - after having 3 boys - finally had a girl (Patty). One of her brothers was taking her to Pop Warner (football) cheer leading practice. During the day they had freezing rain. They only made it around the first bend on the road from their house when the pickup truck slide in the turn (on a banked hill) and into the oncoming lane right into a truck. The truck struck the passenger side of the pickup, throwing my niece across the bench seat. She hit her head on his hip, fracturing her skull. She died almost instantly. (This was before the time when seat belt were mandatory.) My nephew, who was in a coma for nearly two weeks, refused to believe his sister was gone. He would say she was still in the hospital. He never cried for an entire year. When we finally had a funeral service, it wasn’t until then that he turned to my wife (his Aunt Donna) and said, “Aunt Donna, Is Patty really gone?” When she said yes, he broke down crying and hugged her until the service was over. What really hurt my oldest most is that my daughter and Patty looked like twins. They were also the same age. As you say, the hole in the heart remains. I’m teary-eyed just thinking about her.
Wilms, My nephew, before he started losing his faculties, knew he didn’t have long and didn’t want others to go through what he did. That’s why he decided to donate his body for research. They had him for one year before returning his body to my sister and brother-in-law. Dan was married and had 4 boys. He would always say that he didn’t want to leave because he wanted to see his boys grow up, get married and give him some grandchildren. Very sad.

Thank you @Jim7 for sharing your story. Life is very hard sometimes and we don’t know all the answers of why things happen, but I decided that “one foot in front of the other” even if at times it was baby steps was the best way to get through the pain of loss. Today I can talk about the accident without the tears gushing but I still remember and cherish the memories. So difficult for your nephew to not be able to see his 4 boys grow up… it is the greatest gift we have in life is our family.

While I was checking out at the supermarket this afternoon, I happened to notice the divider stick you use to separate your groceries from the person ahead of you. On it had a little saying that made me laugh and of course I had to say something to the cashier when it was my turn to cash out. The stick read, “Don’t get comfortable. You won’t be here that long!” :smiley: I asked the cashier about it and she said they’ve always had sayings on them. Apparently I’ve just never noticed. Must have been too busy ogling the cashiers. :innocent::wink:

I decided to get comfortable yesterday in the supermarket, the tills were very busy so I just pulled out my kindle and read a good book while I was waiting…only managed about a paragraph :smirk:

And before you ask, I only carry my kindle on Saturday morning when I take my daughter to pottery. I do my shopping then sit in the car or out on the grass (weather permitting) and read while I wait for her. The place is about 8 miles away so not worth going home and back again for her :wink:

On Friday night a brake line on my grandson’s car blew. He borrowed our car while a friend (a mechanic) fixed his car. After getting out of work at 10 PM last night he picked me up to retrieve his car - about 18 miles/29 km away from my son’s house. We had a nice leisurely drive and discussed many topics. Upon arriving at his friend’s house, he exclaimed, “Oh no! The keys! Jen - his girlfriend and co-worker - left work early because of (female health problem) and she took my keys because she left hers at the apartment.” He asked me if I wanted to wait until the next to get his car. I told him, “no, lets get this done tonight.” So off we left to his apartment - 20 miles/32 km away. Once he retrieved his keys we headed back to his friends, got his car and headed home. What fun that back and forth was in the middle of the night! :roll_eyes: :rofl:
At least he didn’t run out of gas/petrol on the way home. :rofl:

Recently my son had a flat on the highway on his truck…the only problem…all his spare tires/rims were in my garage, as he failed to put one back under his vehicle…off we go GPS trying to meet up with him…:rofl::smiley::smile:

Up in BC on 831, I think, now this would require some tire replacements. Actually, the driver survived with minimal injuries. Bad part is he was hauling double tankers of hydrochloric acid. This is why I still have PTSD. I need catnip.

very very scary…

How did they clean up the mess? And do it safely?

I wondered the same @Wilms

Edit: Article on this crash
https://globalnews.ca/news/4222170/semi-hauling-hydrochloric-acid-crashes-spills-chemical-on-northern-alberta-highway/

Hydroelectric acid can be neutralized and a specialized absorbent is used. Protect mucous membranes, respiratory tract, and skin.

BC Hazard Material unit did the cleanup. I hauled haz mat out of Canada all the time. I always had the RCMP, provincial police and the local Haz Mat teams numbers written down on the very top paper for a quick response. I am your basic coward when it comes to accidents.

That brings back memories :smiley: My sister and I were staying at a hotel and whilst loading up the car to home that evening after dinner, I stupidly locked my car keys in the boot :roll_eyes:
I called out the AA to try and get me into it, but after about an hour he conceded defeat :confounded:
Think maybe it’s 'cos we were watching closely out of curiosity and he probably didn’t want to give away any trade secrets :smile:
So my sister had to drive me home, about 32 miles away, collect the spare keys, drive back to hotel and then we finally headed for home about 2 in the morning :tired_face:

Smart to have those close by, and to know when to use them…too many wait until the disaster gets out of hand.

Try doing that at West Point during a visit for a summer concert and having to wait in the MP’s office while someone drove up with my spare keys. :unamused:

:rofl: Sorry, but I can just imagine the embarrassment. :wink:

I jumped out of my vehicle once to clear the snow/ice off my windshield wiper, and heard that dreaded “click” as the doors locked and the keys were inside. It was -31 wc outside and luckily I was in town and went to the school where I called a tow truck to get into my vehicle…never again…:blush:

Oh we now I don’t know…might be an experience…sigh2 :sweat_smile: