2018 July to Dec - Bird & Animal Sightings

Took this yesterday, just after he jumped the fence …I have to be careful now as the hunters are out.

A fantastic picture of a magnificent creature.

Thanks Helen! I was fortunate to have many deer around me yesterday. Lots of photos to process yet!

Gorgeous! :deer: :deer: :deer: :deer: :deer: :deer: :deer: :deer: :deer: :deer: :deer: :deer: :deer: :deer: :deer:

29 Nov. 12:55 AM: Standing on my porch (with the motion light shut off) I watched - looking through my hedges - an animal scurrying down the street. My first thought was a cat. But as it went past the opening where my walk meets the front walk, I realized it had a long bushy tail. Red fox was my next thought - for a split-second, but it was too dark for a fox. “Oh,” I thought… “it’s a fisher!” Sure enough, as it reached the street light pole I got a good look at it as it stopped to smell and check out around the pole. When it was scurrying about, it held its tail straight out and close to the ground… just a couple of inches (5 cm) off the ground. It looked around and scurried across the street and went down my driveway toward the carriage house. That area is in total darkness. A neighbor on the dead end street whose house is directly behind mine has converted their garage into a chicken coup. “Oh, oh… it’s going to try to go after the chickens.” But before I even finished that thought it was scurrying back up the driveway, went diagonally across the street and stopped for a few seconds by the light pole across from my house. Then it headed up into the wood lot across from my house. I was amazed at how fast that critter could go. It reminded me of the “pacers” at the race track (horses). Guess I’ll have to let the neighbors know there’s a fisher in the neighborhood again.

Didn’t know what a ‘Fisher’ was so just looked at images on google. They look so adorable, they look like miniature bears :heart_eyes:
And that search led to the discovery that Wolverines are a similar animal…and not just Hugh Jackman in a costume with knives between his fingers :laughing:

They are “cute” from far away! You are right Jim they do remind me of “pacers” when they get going along the trail.
We have wolverines also, they are mostly in the northern two thirds of the provinces in the boreal forest area.

They may look “cute”, but they have long fangs and long “knives” for toe nails - also known as claws. One thing I found interesting about them is that they have the ability to turn their wrists around 180 degrees. I’ve actually watched one do this as it “walked” down a tree trunk. Amazing! Of course, they are not that discriminatory when it comes to what prey they want - even cats, small dogs, chickens, geese(?), fox, squirrels, etc… Maybe this is why I hear the Canada geese act up at night down by the river. :thinking:

That is totally possible!

Tonight I walked onto my porch to walk a little (read: straighten up some from nodding :smiley:). As I walked over to the front steps I realized there was a deer standing across the street. We looked at each other and I said, “Oops! Sorry, deer!” I turned and walked over to the back side of the porch and watched. The deer - a buck - turned and walked just into the edge of the woodlot across from my house. It just stood there watching. Suddenly, that doe with the late fawn walked off the dead-end street at the corner of my property and walked across the street toward the buck. The doe and fawn began to forage beneath the utility pole for a couple of minutes. The doe then walked out to the street and headed across to my side. She walked right into my front yard, followed by the fawn. (Note that the late fawn is about half the size of the doe.) The two of them walked everywhere I had tossed out bird seed, cracked corn and peanuts on the lawn, beneath the pine tree and along the inside of the privet hedges lining my driveway. The doe also decided she was going to lick the seed from the hanging bird feeder. What a ruckus that made as it was being knocked against the suet cage hanging next to it. After about 6 or 7 minutes the doe decided it was time to leave and headed back out the walk through the hedges. The fawn started after her. The two then went back across the street and smelled around the grass near the utility pole. I could see the buck was still standing just inside the edge of the woodlot. Finally the doe turned and ducked behind the brush along the edge. The buck started walking along the woodlot and up the old milk wagon road that runs behind the houses across the street. When it gets to the top of the hill it turns north behind the house on Main Street and comes out on the next street over. Guess I’ll have to refill the feeder and “restock” the lawn for the birds in the morning. :roll_eyes:

Thank you for that Jim… I thought I was the only guy that talked to deer that way… although I limit my deer whispering (actually talking) to the does… although Lynne thinks that is almost as ‘different’ as your example…
I’ve found myself doing that since I moved to Elkford in 06 and still here in Cranbrook… since '14…
I just say I’m conversing… not trying to pick one up… They trot away from most people… my does stay put and I have to remind them not to get careless… not everyone is so friendly…

:laughing: And I also talk to the squirrels - tell them to come and get their nuts, “you look just like your mother,” “you’ve grown a mustache” (one squirrel grew a dark brown to black ring around it’s snout which looks like a beard and a dark patch under it’s nose (same coloring) looks just like a mustache), and things like that. My wife and I both talk to “mama squirrel,” especially when she’s pregnant. We also talk to the birds when they come up onto the porch and when we head out to the car we usually tell them, “it’s okay, you don’t have to fly away.” They usually stay put and continue eating. :roll_eyes: It’s only when my wife makes a sudden move that the mourning doves and chipping sparrows get spooked and take off. (They spook quite easily, even spooking each other.) Actually, most of the time I can say in a loud voice, “lunch!” and within a minutes there’s a dozen or more birds - usually bluejays - showing up. When I get done putting out their seed I usually clap my hands 3 times - a signal they’ve been learning. With just the 3 claps, they’ll start showing up from all the trees around the area and landing in the butternut trees and the pine tree in the front. Some land in the hedges right next to me and will drop down onto the ground while I’m still broadcasting the seed for the ground feeders. By the time I get up onto the porch and sit down, there’s usually 30 to 40 (or more) birds of varying species eating. The least they could do is leave me a tip. :grinning: One other thing about the squirrels… If I haven’t set out any peanuts yet when they’ve shown up, they’ll sit on the porch floor and/or railing and stare at me as if to say, “we’re waiting.” I’ll tell them I’ll be right back with their peanuts, get up and go inside. They sit there waiting. When I come back out, they’ll hop over to the French lilac tree and wait while I set out 8 small piles of peanuts on the railing. As soon as I sit down - just 6’/1.8 metres away - they hop back over to the railing, sit there and eat… and stare at me while they eat. There have been times when I’ve told them I ran out of peanuts but will go to the store to buy more, and that they’ll have to come back later. They seem to understand and walk away. The next time I come outside they all come back. I laugh and tell them I haven’t even left for the store yet! :rofl:

I apologise to most animals/birds (deer included) if I startle them with something I’m doing! So you are most definitely not alone in animal whispering…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

me too…every time I am taking photos of deer I am talking to them! :deer: They seem to know I’m not there to harm them! :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t whisper… I talk right out loud. :laughing: Even the neighbors hear me… and only one gives me an odd look. :neutral_face: When I feed them I’ll clap my hands 3 times and say quite loudly, “come get your seed and nuts!” By the time I make it up to my porch chair, there’s a small “crowd” on the ground. :rofl:

So on the porch, Jim turns to face his audience. And softly, he begins to sing, covering the Hits from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. From time to time, the crowd pauses in eating their corn, caught by the beauty of a chord or particularly good phrasing. Thus the singer entertains the animals, while the animals entertains the singer. (He’s been contemplating adding a tap routine, but has no time to practice.)

I thought about a light show, but then I’d have to board off the street side of the porch as well as the back side. Don’t think the wife will allow that. :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: On top of all this, I have to be the bouncer, breaking up squirrel fights (between siblings), bluejays playing “king of the feed station,” and chasing the occasional feral cat out of the yard. Oh, and I also have to keep an eye out for the hawks who decide to show up whenever there’s a good crowd enjoying themselves. So you see, even while “sitting” I’m still kept busy! :rofl:

Went to set the trash out tonight and a certain mother and daughter were here a few hours early. I know I was a little loud when I came outside, but to eat and run? You’d think that doe and her late fawn would be used to me by now. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: As soon as I set the bag of trash on the porch, they ran across my front yard, ducked out onto the intersection of the dead-end street and the doe stopped and stared at me - with a look of, “how dare you interrupt my little one’s meal!” The fawn was waiting for her in my next door neighbor’s backyard. After “scolding” me with her glaring stare she followed her fawn over to raid my neighbor’s succulents on his outdoor patio. Harrumph! :unamused: I did set out two decent sized piles of cracked corn late this evening after the birds went to bed - just for the deer. I see they’re both gone. :wink:

Edit: 5 hours later and it’s 1:35 AM. I was just outside and the only sound beside water dripping off the trees was that of an owl in a tree behind the carriage house hooting every 20-30 seconds. From the sound of it, it must be facing the tract of woods to the south. I did forget to mention that this afternoon a pileated woodpecker sat in a tree top across the street from my house and was calling for about 3 minutes before taking off and heading northeast - probably over to the Coeymans Creek where it meets the Hudson River.