2018 July to Dec - Bird & Animal Sightings

Normally my 18-300mm is my favourite. But it has sucked in some dust and after I get my PF back, I will send it in for a thorough cleaning. (Nikon Canada is in Ontario so it takes a while to get it back). . I am going to the north for three days and hope to see and take photos there. Whopping cranes on migration would be great! More Sandhill cranes, etc. Geese are now flying. Snow geese will be next. Lots and lots to see.

I was looking at some photos I had taken of various subjects and noticed a very tiny speck of a smudge on every one of them close to the extreme left side. A dust speck on the inside of the lens! One of the girls had started to unscrew the lens while messing around with it - unbeknownst to me. And then it got dropped and there is a small dent in the lens cover. I had to remove it entirely and use some tools from house to take the dent out and make it “round” again. Until I did that, the telephoto lens wouldn’t return to “park.” Guess it’s time for a professional cleaning. My hands are not quite rock steady any more. :roll_eyes:

A few years ago I had my camera sitting on the seat beside me in the car, and the car in front of my slammed on her brakes. I didn’t hit her, but my camera went flying. It hit the floor of the car and I went directly to the camera repair. They had to cut the ring off from the UV filter and luckily the lens was fine. The UV filter took the hit!!! I continue to keep a UV on each of my lenses for this reason!. I also have the steel foam cases now that they sit in. If I am in a location for possible photos, I will pull my camera out and it is on my lap. My reaction time is still good enough to grab it if anything happens. (for now…:slightly_smiling_face:)

As we head into the fall this is one area I would like to visit and take photos:

I’ve had quite a few lenses saved by the UV filter. Better to sacrifice a relatively inexpensive piece of glass that can easily be replaced, than break/chip/scuff/crack the front glass on your favourite lens!

Mine neither. I either have to use a fast enough shutter speed that camera-shake hopefully won’t affect, or use a tripod. Glad I eventually saw sense and bought a really lightweight magnesium/carbon fibre tripod, the original one I’d bought was far too heavy to haul around all day!

Love the pics @TerriB! Incredible :heart_eyes:

and haha to the ones from facebook…

So very true Helen. I have had little bumps too that the hood was the key to taking the hit. I have several different kinds - the rubber one that you can push flat, and nikon hoods and the butterfly or ripple one.

Yes the new tripods are great. So much lighter than the old ones, as well they practically get them down to 4 inches off the ground! Great for macro. I have tried those little gorillapods with a compact camera…they were fun…could not hold my DSLR though.

Tomorrow in this area, I am out scouting for Bald Eagles, Deer, Moose, Blue Herons, Cormorants, and if I’m lucky a bear! Time will tell if I actually see any of them!!!:rofl::smiley:

Somehow, I’ve (so far) never managed to bump a lens hood… just a couple of UV filters. I’ve not had to replace one recently, but I’ve just looked, and they’re more expensive than I remembered, it would set me back around £50 to replace one! Still better than several hundreds for a new lens though :scream:

Definitely not putting my DSLR on one of those… it’s quite a heavy beastie!

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

DSLR too heavy for that one.

I agree the UV Filters have taken flight on price…used to be $20-40 got you a pretty good filter. Now you are looking at that $50 - $90 range. Great investment if it takes the hit rather than the lens.

Through the river valley today and hope to be back tomorrow morning…I hope that wildfire smoke can just wait a few more hours for me in the morning before billowing into this area.

Two moose, many deer, no bald eagles within range, but several nests around the river and saw them flying…did not see any bears!!! (Good not good thing) Lots of geese flying south in V, along with many many sandhill cranes you can hear above you for a long time before you barely make out the large flock of 200 or more. I couldn’t find many on the ground, but there are some in my area. Whopping cranes still on the move from the north. Smokey, then clear, and now it has darkened up since 3 p.m. smoke moving in again. I will be further north later in September…so hope to have some more chances at photos!!!

Good luck!
I just got a notice from the Discourse software. I guess I’ve replied to you too many times on this topic! :rofl:

Consider replying to more people

You’ve already replied 3 times to @TerriB in this particular topic.

Have you considered replying to other people in the discussion, too? A great discussion involves many voices and perspectives.

If you’d like to continue your conversation with this particular user at length, send them a personal message.

Spotted on Facebook

Quoted: “An Eagle grabs a drone during a police exercise in the Netherlands. Wow!”

I’ve read about them (maybe some other agencies as well?) training them to do that, but I’ve never seen a photo/video of it. I hope the propellers don’t harm the birds talons. :neutral_face:

Still raining, not out for photos, but while I travelled from one town to the other…saw two turkey vultures sitting on the fence :rofl::smiley:

As our hot days change, and kids go back to school, they close our outdoor pools. The last day the pools are open is called “Dog Days of Summer”. This day is literally reserved for the dogs. They can jump and swim and fetch in the water for the day …(no people allowed in the pool) . Then the pools are drained and cleaned for the season.

The Trumpeter Swans are starting to land from the north. Right now, the scouts are here and soon there will be thousands. The snow geese will follow.

The “V”;s of Canada Geese are starting to show in the sky. Yesterday taking photos early morning, a coyote followed me…??? …a little weird…at least it wasn’t a cougar. There have been several sightings lately.

Saw my first Ross’ Goose from the north yesterday. This is unusual, as they are the last to go up north and usually the last to come back down in migration. He must be the scout. Soon the fields will be covered in snow geese as they head south for the winter. Cormorants, sandhill cranes, are here already.

Normally the incidents are not as frequent as we have seen this year. The lack of rain and the forest fires are pushing bears out of the forest into residential areas looking for food.