2018 July to Dec - CageyCat Lounge

I’m saying nothing 'cos I’ve been just a guilty angel_saintly

So good to be hearing from you, EM Hope the leg eases up. My knee did great for me when I had it replaced, so I hope and pray you have the same swift recovery. :sparkler::gift::sparkler::sparkling_heart::teddy_bear:

STICK UP!

Ah the leg’s doing just fine Beverly…it’s getting shorter every week…so I’m not rocking side to side so much like a penguin when I walk :laughing: It’s nearly 7 weeks but I haven’t tested it’s driving skills yet, think I’ll give it another week…walking is the best exercise for it anyway :smirk:
But it’s all good…in fact no it’s not just good, it’s excellent…fantastic and the only pain now is the pain of healing which is bliss in comparison to the arthritic pain :grin:

Everyone should have today off anyway. Oct.27 should be National holiday both US and Canada. Possible in England as well. A long time ago in a land far away, yours truly was born.

Ah ha, I caught you! Got yourself a cake, I see. Offering Nodders a Day Off to boot! AND proposing not a National holiday, but an International holiday!!! Pfffff! Did you get into the catnip-vodka I ordered for the Birthday party later this month? LOL

Cheers! Take a swig! Wanna polka? :wink:

The last time I danced the Polka I was light on my feet… no, make that dizzy on my feet… too much catnip-vodka I think. :laughing:

I’m still trying to figure out how they created the cat photo with the 2 dobermans. Any ideas?

Super glue? :smiley_cat:

Got to be shot at different times. No self respecting cat that I know of would stick around with 2 Dobermans in sight. I ate too much. great party with sisters ,son and hubby. I need to take a day off to recuperate.

Happy belated Birthday Beverly…more cake birthday%20cake1 :grin:

A dear friend died last Monday. Just found out. She was my 6th grade teacher… the person who encouraged me to sing, and to write. She was also my Confirmation Sponsor. She’s been my friend in adulthood. I told her she wasn’t allowed to die without a hall pass signed by me.

Missed the funeral, but might be able to attend the Memorial service this week. But it’s 9am OR 10 am in another state, per the obits.

I tell ya, when I die, I want the service held at 4 pm. If daylight saving time, then 3pm. If raining or too hot, then, cancel it until it’s a purrr-fect day for cats. LOL Strong catnip tea all around.

My deepest sympathies, Cagey. I remember when my 9th grade homeroom teacher passed away. She also taught Latin - which I had to take in my freshman year because there were just too many who applied for Spanish, French and German. I found out years later that this same nun, Sister Mary Odelia, taught each and every one of my siblings, from my oldest sister down to my baby brother - all 11 of us! God must have helped her with the likes of us (some of us :innocent:). I remember her passing, and I too did not find out until months later. I really would have liked to have gone to her wake and funeral. I did stop by the convent and visited a year or two before she passed. I shouldn’t have been surprised as I was when she called my name from down the hall as I waited by the door. What a surprising memory that woman had!

Now, as to your funeral… I’ve buried friends and family members in every season, and in every type of weather - even during a cold, damp rain. I have to admit that I thought that would have been the worst one, but actually the hotter it was, the more flies, gnats and mosquitoes bothered everyone. During the rain, even while getting wet, no one - except for the small children/babies - seemed to mind too much. But I have to admit, a nice day seems better - for the living. Like you, I’m not very fond of morning funerals, but that seems to be the standard - giving that someone still has to cover the grave when everyone has left.

And if you have the service at 4 PM, make sure there’s dinner waiting for everyone afterward. :wink:
Your mention of her as your Confirmation sponsor made me think about my mother’s brother. We had the same first and second name and when I choose a Confirmation name, I just happened to choose the same name as he had (unbeknownst to me). From that day forward, my uncle always called me his “namesake.” Funny how some things can bring back memories one hasn’t thought about in decades, isn’t it?

I’ve buried so many family and friends, in every season and in between. Dad was in March, colder than a ___. Mom was Nov as flurries came. My grandfather, it poured. Grandma, in Oct, it drizzled with leaves sticking to everything. Buried Mom’s sister in summer heat. Buried my sister in Indian summer. My bro-in-law was mild summer, but no graveside; he was cremated.

I like stories grandma told about the 1920s. Moms and Pops with kids, brothers & sisters with their kids, etc.packed picnic baskets and walked to the local cemetery. Men trimmed and mowed around stones, with pushmowers they turned and pulled behind them. Between headstone rows, the women laid out blankets and set out a picnic lunch, and they made a day of it there. The kids ran around chasing each other and playing. Menfolk took naps. Women watched their babies and talked. Round about 4pm, they’d collect the youngins and pack up everything, and begin a slow walk back along The National Pike toward home.

:fleur_de_lis:

I hear you. We’ve also buried family and friends in all seasons - two had to be laid in vaults until the ground thawed out for a proper burial. Even those cremated were buried, but with my MIL, we had her ashes in a small, highly-decorative concrete vault we kept on an end table in our bedroom for 4-1/2 months until the ground thawed out. We buried her in the spring up in the hill town next to her husband and two of their daughters.

Your mention of your grandma telling stories of the 1920s reminded me of some stories my father used to tell me. I’m going to have to listen to that interview one of my nephews did with both of my parents back in the 90’s. I never did finish listening to it, but of what I did, they both told some pretty cool stories. :smiley:

On AtlasObscura.com there is an article about the time when Americans used to picnic in cemeteries. I didn’t read it yet, but maybe this is what they did while picnicking? Made repairs and cleaned up?

At one cemetery along the outskirts of Albany (NY) there is a cemetery with a lonely section tucked way over by a wooded area. We took a slow ride by there and saw that tree limbs had fallen down all over the grave sites and some head stones were knocked over. All of the graves were small as were the head stones. It was in very dire need of being cleaned up, head stones righted, grass/weeds mowed, etc… Upon inquiring, I was told this is where the county had buried the babies who had been left on hospital doorsteps and didn’t live. I had made a mental note that I will go back there and do the cleanup, but my memory failed me. So, as I was writing this, I made a note on my computer calendar to do this in the spring - the end of April is when I hope to do it. Maybe I’ll plant some flowers at each grave as well. I remember seeing that some had died at birth and some were just a few months old. So sad - and so forgotten. :anguished:

Exactly. Men cleaned the cemetery, did maintenance.

Our family burials usually ended up as family reunions. Almost everyone was farmers and the only time they took time off was a wedding or burial. Some people would travel from faraway so they wouldn’t have visiting hours until they could drive there. Then sometimes they had two days of visitation. Always had a full dinner afterwards at the church hall or meeting hall. It was an all day affair.

Growing up and even as an adult, my parents’ neighbors would all make something and bring it over to the house. Believe me… there was no shortage of food! We always helped out those neighbors who had switched over to electric stoves/ovens. When the power went out - the great northeast blackout - neighbors were bringing their turkeys over to our house to bake. As soon as one came out another went in. We always did ours last, so the youngsters got to stay up extra late that night. :laughing: I don’t think they minded as the neighbors always let them pick at the food already out on the table. My wife did the same thing when we first got married and the power went out. Our next door neighbor - an old Italian woman everyone called Grandma - had her daughter bring their turkey over to us and my wife baked it for them. When it was done and she wouldn’t let us out of the house without first having something to eat. Must have been something that was ingrained in those “old timers” - even if you visited for 5 minutes, they wanted to cook something for you… not that I minded. :yum: :laughing:

Free catnip and catnip tea!

I was just listening to “Bring It On Home To Me” by Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels.
Have you ever noticed that one can actually understand the words to these songs - unlike so many songs of today? :roll_eyes: