2018 - Meteors and sky watching

Wouldn’t that be great!!! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!

After missing Perseid due to the smoke/clouds I would love to be able to see this one in October…

I’ll have to have a dig through my archives when I have a little more time to spare - on my last aurora-hunting trip (2015), I did manage to get a shot with a meteor and aurora in it! Red, yellow or blue aurora would just be the icing on the cake! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Amazing…

Taurid Meteor Showers - Nov 5-6 & 12-13

The Taurids are a strange one, when it comes to meteor showers.

It’s actually two meteor showers - the Northern Taurids and the Southern Taurids - that originate from two separate objects (Asteroid 2004 TG10 for the northern stream and Comet Encke for the southern), which overlap into one shower, with two different peaks.

The meteors produced by these showers tend to be slower than most, taking their time crossing the sky. Also, there can be pebble-sized bits in the stream that produce extremely bright bolides - meteors that flare brightly as the meteoroid that produces them explodes due to internal pressures!

Even with the two combined meteoroid streams from these objects, these meteor showers still do not produce many meteors, with perhaps 5-10 per hour showing up during each of the two peaks. So, if you try your luck at this one, you will need to be patient.

Fortunately, the nearly New Moon will give excellent viewing conditions on the night of November 5-6, and the crescent Moon on the night of November 12-13 will set at around 9 p.m., local time, so it won’t offer up much competition in the sky.

I’ll be watching - if the clouds don’t show up like they always do. :roll_eyes:

We are in cloud … hopefully doesn’t bring the “S” word!!!

Was looking forward to watching the meteor shower tomorrow night - and maybe catch a few tonight. However, after a nice clear sunny day, the clouds are starting to move in (as usual) and currently there’s about 40% cloud cover - increasing as the night wears on. :frowning_face: Between 8 AM and 9 AM the rain starts and continues all day - with maybe about a 1-hour reprieve. Rain tomorrow evening and all night. Thunderstorms for Tuesday (U.S. Election Day) and the clouds will still be blocking the meteor shower that night also. :angry: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: As I say for every meteor shower, “maybe next year.” :disappointed:

No meteor shower here…15-20cm snow northern sask. clouds clouds blowing snow!

None here either… rained all day and still a light rain/drizzle. Supposed to end by 10:45 PM, but I guess the clouds will still be here for many hours. :frowning_face:

Looks like it will be a wash out for tonight as well. Still raining… :frowning_face:

Edit: 11:15 PM: Stepping outside I see it’s now “only” mostly cloudy. Some stars are visible. Hopefully, within the next couple of hours, more clouds will move on out and the sky will be better for seeing some meteors. (Keeping my fingers crossed… :neutral_face:)

Still had snow showers off and on throyghthe night… no stars shining :worried:

Next meteor - Leonids Night of November 17 Sets around 2 a.m.

Don’t forget the southern Taurid meteor shower which peaks the night of the 11th-12th of November. This is debris from a comet, whereas the northern Taurid shower is debris from an asteroid. I never got to see any of those meteors - which are “slow” going across the sky… and can be very bright - especially when a pebble-sized one heats up and explodes. That would have been nice to see. Both meteor showers overlap the middle of the week (about now), but there are only 5-10 meteors per hour. With rain this afternoon and tonight, it’s another washout for me. :unamused:

Oh oh skipped right over that one…glad you posted.

Thanks, Terri. I’ll be watching!