2018 Oct 1 through Nov 30th - Weather Reporting

I just came in from the parking lot across the street… slippery to walk on, so I figured it would be a reasonable first trial… not used to the van or the winter tires… must say that I was suitably impressed… I started slow of course… just getting out of our parking was a hair raiser in the Jimmy… those balding tires of course…
anyway… not a problem… and the newly started engine and first stops test was okay too… no getting pushed through a stop sign there… got onto the road down to the far end entrance… two nice icy looking sections there… but not a problem, the first was at less than speed limit and the second at speed limit… clean stops… no problem turning into the mall lot and over the bridge, Only one car freshly stopped in the snowy area… I aimed to go around him at all times… I think he was fresh from Tim’s and having his ‘double double’… mine was still back here… but only ‘sweet black’. any way the first thing was a 50 kmh straight ahead hands loose on the wheel stop full brake… neato… straight and solid stop… then up to speed and a right hand turn… and a hard brake mid turn… again solid… a few more straight stops faster and harder… no problem… at 50 kmh this thing wants to stick on this stuff… then a few alternating turns (away from the other car), in a figure 8 pattern… no problems… and I gave up… for now… I have a good feel for these conditions… but we will see how it goes after the storm reaches us… and things cool off as well… then the ice will come out more…

Think the van was a good buy, so far… tires were impressive, but… this is just the beginning… colder will mean a bit firmer compound and thus maybe more slippery… but don’t think this will be much fun for stunting… we’ll see… but I’m too old for that… these days… the Jimmy however was always stuck in that mode…

I see the weather is talking that storm has been producing freezing rain in some elevations west and north…

Good to hear the new vehicle is passing the test!!! Well worth the change from the Jimmy.

Always wanted 4 wheel drive on my Freightliner. Technically, it would have been eight wheel drive. Ohh Boy, that would have been nice climbing up to Crows Nest Pass or to Golden. I am so freaking glad I am retired. Just thinking about driving up there in winter makes my PTSD kick up.

Terrible in winter…even with chains etc…Love going through either area in summer when it is dry and no rain/snow…but not this time of year!

Minus 8 C -14 WC (6 F) We had snow overnight and will get more this afternoon. As many areas also had freezing rain (some areas as much as 3 cm near Regina and to the Border) and then some snow over that…Skating Rink…just stay off he roads today! Sanding trucks out but we need some heat to warm everything up and then we will be in the thaw freeze cycle for some time. The Joys of winter in my area!

EDIT 7:30 CST - @Beverly1 you will know this road…They just closed the Trans Canada highway on both sides of Regina due to very very icy road conditions. That does not happen very often, so roads are bad.

I was living in Elkford… north of Sparwood and drove the Crowsnest frequently… in all sorts of weather…
From the Sparwood side it would have been interesting in a semi… either direction… I followed one driver that must have been making his first trip westbound ever… kept hoping the scales after the border were open so we could get by… steady stream of trucks going east… wet road and starting to freeze… but nope they were closed and he went all the way down to Sparwood… 30 kph… about 20 mph… it was terribly snow… but I think enough people had ‘been there, done that’ and lots of patience that day… after we reached the 4 lane we got by and stayed that way all the way to supper in Fernie… which brings up my nemesis road… the area from just at the Tunnel and into Elko… at sunset… I never ever drive that until the sun is down… at certain times it is sitting right on the horizon and straight ahead… and guess who was crawling along ahead of me… sigh.
Like the hill down from CP… he was right there… and I was blinded mostly… dropped back and prayed that the next semi in line was watching for such things… and would see me behind him… and yes his tail end lights were covered with road crud… I needed to be away from him in case he stopped for any reason… and yet have some shade to see… also not get sandwiched… cloudy days and either mid day or night for that strip… eastbound isn’t that bad anytime… except that at sunset impatient people actually try to pass over the solid while blinded… glad they have been improving the road along there… wider and some what straighter… but nothing about the sun…

As for Golden… other than narrow on the way north and south near Golden on 95 I don’t think it is that bad… BUT having said that… Going west on the TCH is sometimes bad… Love the Rogers Pass avalanches…
Going EAST is the bear… not good either way you drive that bit… all the way to Field… and that is for a smaller vehicle… really tough bicycling through… I’ll take 3 any time.

Back long ago I was a heavy vehicle recovery tech in the Army… anyway, just say that i have my stories of that… so I get the white knuckle thing… Love watching Highway Through Hell episodes… working the pulls in my mind, thinking what would have been the result with our equipment… sort of fun, but full of nasty memories…

Will comment that we have now a clear forecast til later tonight / tomorrow…5C and sunny… they changed the forecast again… basically they still can’t tell whether or not the weather will show up…
Good thing is tonight is the dinner and it should be fine… Murphy says that since I practiced and tested he will wait for another time to plague me… or pop a surprise after dinner by shifting yet again…

Has anyone stuck in the traffic started a hockey game on the road yet? with skates etc…

Anyway, this is noon and I better start getting cleaned up for tonight…

Good thing! Have fun! No skates yet…but we are getting snow and south of us still getting freezing rain. They have re opened Trans Canada…but I hear there are many semis stopped or in the ditch near Regina.

Currently -6 C (21 F) I am hoping the wind stays down and this snow just stays put where it lands!

Nice here tonight… feels damp, but no snow or cold … yet! The dinner is now history and I had an extra passenger as well so five in all… couple of things I want to check in the morning though… odd smoky oil smell… and the transmission hiccuped on a bump… Jimmy used to do that due to the selector cable slipping due to the power train flexing at that time… just sort of slid into neutral on you… will check that out in daylight… no other problems… except…

Just before we were leaving I found out we had another lady to take… so while I had cleaned the other day, some of that ended up on the rear seats… no problem… but I noticed the seat belt was sort of trapped in the seat… freed it and stuck the belt in it’s clip on the seat… it is a shoulder / lap belt… as they all are.
decided to make sure all the belts were findable… and noticed a lack of places to attach them for wear… huh?

They sockets are always on the inside of the seat… that is mid car… then it dawned on me that to hook up the way they were would not work… 10 minutes to departure time… OK I had made sure all the mechanisms were free a few days back… lubed and ready… Daylight moment… The previous owner had had them out of the vehicle or maybe the guy before that… the left seat was on the right and the right on the left… just take them out and swap… except that they would not go back into their brackets… why… then I noticed that there were pins on the seats that fit into indents in the floor plate… guess what… they were also switched around on both sides… of the seat and the car… 2 minutes to go I had them all out again and swapped and the plates done as well dropped it all together… done and running… but no sign of the people who were in such a flap to be ontime… and they were late. Anyway I had seen Lynnes bus going to her place we loaded up and drove over there expecting she would be at the door… nope… even though she answered my last email with the time and please be ready, I had to go in and found her settling into a TV show… at 3:50… scream… anyway she was and sat there telling me so… I scolded her about not being ready at all… and we went out… got to the hall well ahead of time… by which time I had the perfect answer to the comments about ‘told you we needed to be early…’ I pointed out that at worst, they didn’t need a close in parking spot… I drove up to the door stairs, let them all out… and went an parked… later I went out and got the van and picked them up at the door…
Chauffeured service, = no need for spot to be close…

ha ha… and it didn’t snow or rain to boot… nice dinner for the price as well. $5 cdn each…

We didn’t stay to dance… but I was willing… just lousy at it most of the time.

That show makes me nervous. But the guys must understand lots about angles / geometry and about forces to get rigs up and over obstacles, and back on the road. Fascinating.

I just got done watching some Russian videos of driver fails in winter. Laughed my you-know-what off! I still can’t believe I wasted almost 2 hours watching - and laughing at - this stuff. Anyway, it was a good long laugh! :smile:

Currently 37.9F/3C, wind is blowing as it has been since early afternoon. It was cloudy to overcast all day with a few hours before sunset where the sun did shine through some breaks in the clouds. Made the high for today 41F/5C for about 15 minutes, then it started dropping very, very slowly. More clouds moved in the temperature became stagnant at 39F/3.9C… Current humidity at 12:15 AM (29 Nov) is 65% with a BP of 29.68". Winds are 10-20 mph/16-32 kph with slightly stronger gusts. No rain today (28th), but we did get 0.1" / 2.5 mm of snow in the wee hours of the morning. That melted as soon as it hit the ground. Oh well… December will be here soon. I have a whole 3-1/2 weeks to get some decent snowfall before the holidays. :smiley:

Definitely lots to think about… and a fair bit of risk… one advantage we had was that most of what we worked on was the same few things… 2 1/2 tons or 3/4 ton jeeps and smaller… but strong tow points and such… but yes lots to ponder… I would have loved to have what they have… then… now I just watch TV… ha… but they usually do something similar to what I was thinking… mostly… It’s like any problem… there are only certain things you can do with the gear… especially our Army… but we got it done… After that I became a commercial diver… more miserable work… but interesting… Sorry about the wandering there, but my weather watch has been going back and forth lately… and is only taking another downturn tonight… I did get my dinner event done… but Murphy has changed the wind direction again and the storm that slid south (or another) is heading north out of Idaho again… should be here in about 3 to 4 hours… and stay til next week… but not much snow forecast yet… but getting colder as time progresses… We will see…

Hopefully that changes again and you don’t get the cold! Great to hear you got to enjoy the dinner!

Weather - currently -5 C feels like - 9 WC (15 F) Lots of icy roads still in our province. Many many accidents. I think most drivers travelling too fast for road conditions! More snow expected today. So far has been large fluffy flakes nothing too threatening. December looks like it will come in with colder temperatures. Time will tell.

EDIT The western part of the province is under a heavy fog advisory, which will cause another affect on the icy road conditions

Well that so called storm that was coming north last night… left about 1 cm maybe 2… on my parking lot…
But I’m willing to bet that where we ate got a lot more… but it seems to have fizzled after crossing the mountains south of here… fine with me if I don’t have to shovel… at least yet…

Looks like we will have more of the same… several days of fluctuating up and down around 0C and some cloudy and some some mixed days… by Monday it should be cooler and dropping but clearing days… no snow forecast.

Anything we get in the form of snow on the next few days should melt off just like todays…

I’m about to spend about 2 hours mulching leaves again. Along the fence running along the dead-end street on the west side of my property are leaves blown up against it about knee high. They tamper off as a “triangle” about 5-6’/1.5-1.8 metres out into the street. I have to get them out of there before we get snow and the plow pushes them against the fence and out onto the sidewalk at the corner. Makes for nasty shoveling at the corner. :roll_eyes: Also have more to clean out against my front door. Don’t want them freezing fast and be unable to open that door should the necessity arise. And here I thought I could spend a couple of hours nodding H. Maria. Lost about 3-1/2 hours this morning as I had to babysit while my son and DIL went to a parent-teacher conference for the two girls (kindergarten and 1st grade).

The day so far isn’t too bad. Mostly clouds with a few short periods of sun/filtered sun. At 1245 it’s reached 41.7F/5C, but it windy and gusty - makes it feel like 36F/2C. Humidity is 59% with a BP of 29.89". They say the current temp is supposed to be the high for today. Oh well… at least it isn’t raining. :smiley:

Edit: I spent nearly an hour trying to get the mower started. It just didn’t want to fire up. :thinking: Had no problem with it starting after being cold before. Has fresh gas, spark plug is clean and has the proper gap. Think I better check the magneto. Maybe a little rust starting on it and/or the magnets. Oh bother! I did get the front door and around the chimney all cleaned out though. Yeah!

@Doug4, My wife just bought a 2004 Honda Pilot. Our car is starting to “nickel and dime” us to death. Going to see if we’ll be able to make time to get plates for it tomorrow or will have to wait until Monday. I had just put 2 new mud & snow tires on the front of our car, so I’m hoping they’ll fit the Honda. (crossing fingers) The car was from Vermont and the old plates are in the back. Don’t they have to turn in the plates like they do in New York state? :thinking: I know that many years ago you didn’t have to turn them in - that’s how so many people built up their license plate collections. We have one plate from Indian River, Florida that was my late MIL’s. Have it mounted above the doorway of my workshop.

Skies have cleared up and it’s mostly clear with a few clouds - lots of stars out. Winds have died down to a very slight breeze. Temperature at 8:20 PM was 35.6F/2C. BP is 29.97" with a humidity of 66%. Overnight low is to be 28F/-2C.

Looks like the current forecast is holding… light snow on and off all weekend, mostly overnight…

@Jim7 might actually be overnight frost… sometimes that bridges the plug gaps… or allows spark voltage to short down the cable to ground… but it sounds like you’ve checked that… but try looking at the cutoff short…
If powered by a magneto type ignition, they often have a ‘short’ position to ground out the mag… frost can short that without the switch/ grounding plate… or dirt…

That tire problem is why I got away from the Jimmy… at least good tires can be traded or sold if they don’t transport to another vehicle… I got the new van with tires for roughly 4 times the cost of a set of tires…

Edit: just adding that here we have the option of keeping the plates for the next vehicle… but I chose new ones since the ones I had were new in '06 and were getting worn out… I can turn the old ones in…but not required since they end their life when I sign the transfer papers regardless of how I deal with it sale or wreck…

We can transfer the plates to another vehicle, but if you let your insurance lapse or just get a new vehicle with new plates, then the old have to be turned in. I guess over the years some people have put “dead” plates on vehicles so they can drive them without insurance. It’s only when they get caught (pulled over for a routine traffic stop or screw up and an officer runs the plate) that they end up paying… and a lot more than if they had just done things legally. A lot of times people will use dead plates to transport a vehicle from point A to point B - like when they buy a used car from a private citizen. They just want to get the vehicle home and then register it and get legal plates for it the within the next day or two. :roll_eyes:

We help the police… the plates also carry two stickers… the insurance sticker with a registration number and the date sticker which show the date on which the insurance expires at midnight… some areas here have mobile plate scanners that can read the stickers when driving past… or following… like I said the plate is just the link to the owner, but not validity… and yes some people bend that… I always keep MY old plates… and often turn them in to the insurance place if I get new ones… I guess that there are many systems for the process… BC system works reasonably… but people are creative about gaming the system… they use stickers that are applied whole and burnished down… someone trying to remove one to move to a different vehicle finds that they fragment badly when that is done… and it is almost impossible to fit back together because the pieces roll up… the insurance people also suggest using a box cutter to put slashes across the sticker to make sure of that… people see the slashes and might take the plate whole, but know not to touch the sticker…

I always make friends with dealers in vehicles… the guy who I bought from has access to a dealer plate if I need to drive it somewhere… including transit insurance… the other option is a transit permit… a limited licence usually for one day or weekend… to go from A to B … currently $25 CDN and a bit for extra days…
Not worth sneaking around during holiday season though… road checks happen and the boys know how to herd drivers into bottlenecks at times… and have overflow cars for people who try to bypass the main check point… saves a lot of time finding drinking and other sneaky people… the checkpoints usually have small gifts for legal folks… I don’t think I’ve bought a window scraper in years…

Many years ago New York used to have a sticker that was placed on the upper left corner of the plate. That was for registration I believe. It’s been so many years since they’ve stopped doing that. Now we have two stickers that are placed on the lower corner of the windshield on the driver’s side. The police have a scanner that will read the bar codes on the sticker from a short distance as they drive past you. The system works almost instantaneously. The sticker is “read,” data is transmitted to DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) and checked for validity, and the result is returned to the computer screen in the police car. Saves the officers from a lot of unnecessary traffic stops. Although not every car in the state is equipped with the scanners, they are working on it. The two stickers are for “Vehicle Inspection Verification” and “Registration.” The month and year are large enough to be seen by the naked eye for a short distance also. Some time back they used to change the color of the stickers from year to year which made it easier to find someone who failed to bring their vehicle in for an the annual inspection. If the sticker was the wrong color, then that was a “red flag” and you were bound to be pulled over at any time.
I had to laugh when you talked about the transit permit. I’ve seen people actually make a cardboard license plate and stick it in their back window! :rofl: Other times I’ve seen two friends go with the vehicle being transported. One will keep their car in front of the “transport” and the other close behind it. That way - they assume - a police officer will be unable to see the vehicle doesn’t have any license plates. Duh! They forgot about the stickers on the windshield! :rofl:

Okay, I have to get up in 4 hours. I’m heading off to bed. But first, I don’t think we’re going to reach that overnight low of 27F/-2.7C they originally said. The clouds moved back in and it’s still 36.5F/2.5C. Not going to happen! We’ll be “lucky” if it get down to freezing. Oh well… :tired_face: :sleeping:

Dense Dense fog this morning. Third day of fog. Trees should be covered for great photos today!
Currently -4 C -8 WC (17 F). We are already near our high temp forecast for today, so not sure what will happen.

Everything is touched by the fog frost, streetlights, stop signs, cars, trees…

That’s okay, we did. But today, 40s. By Sunday, 60s. Summer’s coming!!!

Oh. Not. :crying_cat_face: I was so hoping to skip winter.