2018 - Plastic Waste and Recycling

I used these also…even in my container pots.

I think this is a storage/transport reason, but is not good for the health of the seedlings.

I love the idea, I’ve not seen it over here in the UK (yet) though.

I think one of the reasons/excuses they gave in the programme for using black plastic was that it virtually eliminates sunlight reaching the roots. I’m not sure how this is supposed to work for the terracotta coloured plastic, unless it’s down to the thickness of the plastic wall. Perhaps they didn’t think of that, seeing as they were just coming up with excuses why plastic was prevalent.

I have used these:

http://cowpotscanada.com/

Brilliant idea. Love the name too… :cow::poop::+1:

Recycling at its best!!! :smile::rofl:

I saw that at the beginning of the season! I was wondering if the pots smelled a bit like the “cow patties.” :laughing: Didn’t get around to trying them out this year, but I was seriously looking at giving them a go next season.

Once they are wet they smell slightly…just like the peat ones do… I figure they “fertilize” as they break down. No different than buying a bag of cow/sheep manure to add to your soil. I haven’t dug up my entire flowerbed etc yet, but will see if they broke down completely or left big chunks like the peat ones did.

I’d imagine there may be some big pieces, but over the course of time, they will break down. Actually, I don’t think cow manure smell as bad as hot transmission fluid, especially when you drain the rear axles on a truck before replacing an axle. Once that gets on your hands, no matter how many times you wash, the smell is there for days (and in your nose). :woozy_face:

I hope most of pots have broken down and unnoticeably in the soil by the next planting.
I will see once this weather breaks I will trim everything and turn over all my flowerbeds.

One year I never got around to touching the 3-tier flower bed I made on the hill in the SW corner of my property. That next spring there were not just the perennials, but the annuals I planted as fillers. Those seeds had been spread all over the beds and out onto the edge of the lawn by the wind. At first my wife didn’t want to mow over the flowers, but once the grass started getting too high she mowed right over most of them. I did manage to dig up some of them and moved them into another flower bed in the front of the house.

To stay on topic, tomorrow I take a very large plastic bag full of plastic grocery bags and plastic film to the super market for recycling. I did find one use for some of that heavy duty plastic (# 5 or 6) that is used as a “window” on some toy packaging. I’ll save the large flat sheets and whenever I make any electronic gizmo, I’ll cut a piece to use as a cover for the face of it. “Idiot lights” then shine through it when the unit is turned on, or in other cases, is a light cover for a night light… things such as that. I’ve also marked the drawers of my tool box cabinet with what is in each. Then I cut and mounted strips of this clear plastic over the writing, thus protecting them. Every once in a while I find a little craft project that these sheets are great for. They even come in handy when I hang a clipboard with a schematic on the wall. The clear sheet protects the schematic, and if I was to make a note without ruining the schematic, I can. I’m sure I’ll find other uses for them as well. So for these items, I reuse as much as I can and recycle what I can’t reuse. I’ve even cut pieces out of the white plastic milk jugs and used them as lens covers in a few projects. Gives off a soft white glow. :slightly_smiling_face:

Most of our recycling goes to one place - Sarcan including smaller electronics and paint.

We also have a Hazardous Waste Program where items can be dropped off.
Household hazardous wastes include aerosols, cleaning solvents, oils, paints, pesticides and batteries.

There is also a partnership program in the cities and a mobile pickup for smaller towns for larger electronics and business electronics, metals, appliances, etc that are collected and processed. These items therefore do not go into the landfill.

Our supermarkets do not collect recycling.

LOL, you’re giving me ideas now!

We can drop those off at our local Household Waste and Recycling Site, along with electronics, wood, metal, glass, paper and card (especially if it’s too big to fit in the household bin).
Supermarkets (and a few other places) have bottle recycling containers for glass, although I must admit I’ve not used one in a while, generally what I have to dispose of goes into the household recycling bin.
I’ve just filled ours up, must remember to put it out tomorrow morning for collection!

Yes, that’s a great way and we tend to stock up that sort of recycle stuff and do an occasional run to the site. Trouble is, these places are great for those who’ve got cars, sadly, it’s those who don’t drive or have a car, are likely to put all this in the general waste bins destined for landfill :frowning_face:

That is a problem here also. Some local stores have decided to take up the cause for certain items and then recycle them in bulk - Staples stationery - batteries etc . Our local community associations and condo boards have also done the same.

I really like the newest option here for bottles, cans etc that we recycle at Sarcan (I put the website on here earlier). You can drop off your bags of recycling under your id # you print at Sarcan. (you have set up this id# ahead of time) . They will be counted, and you can choose to be paid by paypal or you can designate which charity you would like your $$ to go to. Love this - recycling and a donation process all at once!!

The idea of getting paid through PayPal or having the amount donated to a charity that you choose sounds very interesting to me. I’ll think about this some more and develop an idea to give to my local politicians (town, county and state reps). I think it would be so much easier than to place each can or bottle into separate machines which tally them up and print receipts - which you then have to go inside the store to redeem for cash either at the register or at the office. Have the time there is no one in the office and when I cash out with my groceries, I forget those little slips of paper in my pocket… only to remember about them after I get home. :roll_eyes:

Here is the link to Drop and Go …donate…which we use.

https://www.sarcandropandgo.ca/drop-donate/

Thank you. I’ll check that out for details on how they do this… maybe even fire off an email to them, depending upon what I find out. There have been times when either my wife, son (with my granddaughters) or I will hand over our slips to a young mother with small kids who may be at the machines returning empty cans/bottles. They’ve always been most appreciative.

A little bit of help goes a long way. …:slightly_smiling_face:

Overall the recycling system is evolving as more needs are identified and addressed. We try to keep as much out of the landfill as possible, reduce plastic waste, as well as reprocessing/composting as much as possible:

The city of Saskatoon also has a green cart system which accepts the following. Residents are allowed to pick up compost in the spring and fall at the composting depots,

• Leaves
  • Grass clippings
  • Garden refuse (e.g. plant tops and clippings, flowers, stalks, fallen fruit)
  • Twigs (smaller than your finger in diameter, and no longer than an arm’s length)
  • Weeds
  • Wood chips and bark mulch
  • Fallen elm leaves
  • Pine and spruce cones and needles
  • Household plants, including soil

ACCEPTED food and other waste:

• Fruits and vegetables (cooked or raw, including peels and pits)
  • Bread, noodles, beans, rice, grains
  • Nuts, seeds
  • Eggs, eggshells
  • Coffee grounds
  • Paper teabags, paper coffee filters
  • Dry baking ingredients, herbs, spices
  • Food-soiled paper napkins, paper towel, and kleenex (must be free of contaminants, such as household cleaners and grease)
  • Food-soiled paper plates, cups, and muffin wrappers (un-waxed and un-plasticized)
  • Food-soiled pizza boxes and cardboard (Note: clean pizza boxes and cardboard go into your Blue Cart to be recycled)
  • Wooden stir sticks, chop sticks, popsicle sticks, toothpicks
  • Newsprint, cardboard, and paper bags (to wrap food and line containers)

Sadly very true. Our local Recycling site does allow pedestrian access, but I think you’ve got to contact them in advance. It would be much better if there was a localised collection service for non-drivers.

I’ve seen similar schemes in various places in mainland Europe. I think it was being looked into bringing to the UK, maybe as part of the deposit return scheme.