2018 - Plastic Waste and Recycling

This is the way our system works…deposit when purchased …returned at recycling. You can make a choice each time whether you want your return fees to go to your paypal or to a different charity. A good system so far.

Ours is a pay deposit when purchased, refunded when returned to the store (any store that sells that particular brand). Bottles and cans have a 5-cent deposit (no matter what size). The stores get 6 cents when they turn them in to the recycling center. Hannaford (Shop 'N Save) now gives the consumer 6 cents on returns. They must be writing the pennies off on their taxes as an “advertising expense”. Just another way to get more people to come to their stores. :roll_eyes:

True …

I liked the system they have in Arizona also. No deposit. All bottles and cans go in their own recycling bin separated from other recyclables.

If only everyone recycled them. I’m sure there are plenty that are not recycled. Alas, for many people, recycling is a matter of convenience. If there’s an occasion where it would inconvenience them, recyclables get tossed into the trash. The cardboard tubes in rolls of toilet paper is another thing. The vast majority of these are not recycled It’s easier to drop them into a waste basket in the bathroom (and trashed) than carry it out to the recycling bin. One company ran (is still running?) an experiment where there is no inner cardboard tube at all. The specific kind of toilet paper was (is still?) being tested in Walmart stores around the country (USA). I have no idea as to what any findings were as yet. Since I don’t shop Walmart, I can’t say if these rolls were in my “local” store - which is about 16 miles/25.7 km out of town.

Question for you or anyone else whose locality recycles batteries. We can recycle every kind of battery except regular carbon-zinc and alkaline batteries. All rechargeable batteries, button batteries and lead-acid batteries are recycled. So, is there anyone who can recycle these “regular” batteries? If so, how do you recycle them? Along with other recyclables (as in single-stream) or are these personally carried to a center for recycling?
To me, there is a lot of steel around these batteries. I realize that recycling these would create a hazardous waste by-product that would have to be dealt with, but what the hey… they put fluoride in drinking and that fluoride is a toxic by-product (read: not pharmaceutical grade) of the fertilizer industry (potassium/potash) which contains many other toxins as well. But I won’t get into that here.

Recycling Optimization

We believe that it is not good enough to just collect batteries – it’s just as important to optimize how much of a recycled battery is used in a secondary product. The battery recycling process used by our program seeks to ensure that products generated by battery recycling can go back into the manufacturing of new products. Call2Recycle’s processors meet or exceed all global battery recycling standards. Our primary battery recycling efficiency rate exceeds 83%, which is one of the highest in the world. Battery Processing Byproducts Cadmium, lead, cobalt and zinc can be reclaimed and used in making new rechargeable and primary batteries creating a unique virtuous “cradle to cradle®” approach to recycling. Less than 1% of the battery that cannot be used for new batteries become a slag, which is an essential input into the construction of roads and bridges. No portion of any battery collected is ever landfilled.

This is the program that is used here along with Hazardous Waste through the city/town.

This company also operates in the USA, but my question still remains - how to recycle single-use alkaline batteries. Here is an excerpt from a search using my question.

“Call2Recycle also offers a network of over 34,000 local recycling centers and drop-off locations for rechargeable batteries , including local municipalities and national retailers such as Best Buy, The Home Depot, Staples and Lowe’s.”

I have checked out so many companies in the past, but it always ended up with the same result: practically everyone will accept rechargeable batteries. But I have yet to find one that will take the single-use alkaline batteries. Even companies that advertise that they accept all types of batteries, once you get to their website, all you see listed are lead-acid, and rechargeable batteries, but not one accepts the single-use alkaline batteries that are in such great use.
I had checked out Call2Recycle’s website years ago. I just checked it out again along with Energizer.com and Earth911.com. If you use C2R’s site finder by searching for “alkaline batteries”, you get results for 3 things: alkaline batteries, cellphones and rechargeable batteries. But when you uncheck/untick the cellphones and rechargeable batteries, you get an error message to the effect that they could not find anyone “within the search area” that accepts alkaline batteries (single-use). You are directed to C2R’s store where you can buy a mail-in or ship-back “kit” for a hefty price. I did read that the only state that recycles single-use alkaline batteries is Vermont. Guess I’ll check out their website for any info.
I also checked out a website by using the Earth911.org database. It was last updated back in 2011. Clicking on the fairly local company link resulted in a “Server Not Found” message. I guess that company is no longer there.
This is what I mean by getting “run-arounds” and dead ends when trying to recycle single-use alkaline batteries. Vermont.gov here I come! :no_mouth:

I do know here, we’re told we shouldn’t be putting any batteries into our regular waste bins. We collect them in a box in the garage and take them to the tip where there’s a collection point for them. But I don’t know what happens to them after that :confused:

I see what you are meaning @Jim7. I always put mine in the Hazardous Waste recycling. Thereafter, I completely assumed they were recycled through this process. Now I am intrigued what really happens in our area.

“lithium can cause landfill fires that can burn underground for years. This releases toxic chemicals into the air, which increases the potential for human exposure”.

This could be somewhere to email also: https://batteryresponsibility.org/
which is Energizer, Duracell and Panasonic

Sorry Terri, what I was meaning is this is what our government say anyway - we’re not supposed to just bin batteries! But of course not everyone pays any attention to this either :disappointed:

This seems to be the case no matter where we live on earth.

Our town accepts alkaline batteries:
Terminals must be taped with clear packaging tape (not scotch tape) or electrical tape . Put household batteries (e.g. rechargeable, alkaline, button) inside a tightly sealed, clear plastic bag, and place on top of your closed Recycling Cart.

**Place each Lithium battery in an individual clear plastic bag”

Not sure what happens to them after.

More info for each province…still no definite answer on what happens to the batteries…

SGI is our provincial and national insurance company.

That’s like some websites you go to looking for some detailed info and all they do is repeat the same general stuff on each page. Even using their search bar doesn’t give anything new. That’s what I call a website without much content - just an Internet “marker”.

So your national insurance company is in the salvage business? That’s weird! But I guess since it has to do with automobiles, that is what they sell insurance for. :wink:

Okay, that explains it. :smiley:

A complicated thing…We also have several Crown Corporations - they are owned by the government SaskPower, SaskTel, SaskEnergy, etc. Slowly these are being phased out in some regards, but unionized and that will be a problem to completed sell them off. The power and natural gas are a monopoly, but the telephone has been opened up to other carriers in the last 10 years or so.

http://www.antarctica.gov.au/environment/pollution-and-waste

As we have discussed about “single use/single serving” water bottles, the same applies to coffee, etc:

I haven’t read the entire list yet, but really like the idea to use recyclable glue to stick 6-pack cans together instead of those awful plastic rings. Every canned beverage company should be switching to those!