2018 - Plastic Waste and Recycling

No matter how they have changed them…perforated lines…stretchier plastic…these cause harm to many many animals, birds, and fish. And they don’t break down.

Just wondering if they could use cornstarch (or something similar like they’ve done with replacements for some plastic packaging of vegetables - I’ve seen it labelled as fully compostable).

We seem to have a number of canned products that used to be held neatly in a cardboard outer sleeve, then they changed over to plastic shrinkwrap a few years ago. Wish they’d swap back, then all of their packaging would once again become recyclable, rather than the plastic wrap having to go into the waste bin as our local authority doesn’t recycle it.

Here in New York, all plastic wrap and plastic films can be recycled with the #2 plastic grocery bags. We keep a large canvas bag hanging in the mud room in which all of this goes. Once full, it’s off to the super market for recycling. Super markets are the only places which will accept the #2 plastic bags, films and wrappers. Odd though that other #2 plastic can be recycled at recycling centers and/or placed in a recycling bin for weekly pickup. I think it has to do with the fact that the light plastic can blow out of the trucks as they travel down the road, thus littering the roadsides.

Interesting :face_with_monocle:——————

One thing I forgot to mention is that we are asked that all trash be put into plastic trash bags (PLASTIC!) so as to keep loose and light things from blowing out from the trucks. Isn’t it odd that we have these big paper sacks in which to put grass clippings, twigs, leaves, etc. to be picked up for the municipal compose piles, yet the trash has to go into plastic bags? Granted the plastic is far cheaper, but plastic is what is polluting everything. And that’s ends up costing everyone more in the long run… not just in monetary terms, but human and animal health as well as environmental health. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Nothing’s logical in the human race, is it? lolol

Join cats! mew

Yes I was looking at these also. Weight wise I’m not sure how much they will hold?

Seems to defeat the purpose of recycling.

Oh that is a good idea Helen. I have often looked at carrots, the wrap around broccoli, cauliflower, romaine lettuce…there are more items in the vegetable area of a grocery store than we realize.

I think the other reason our recycling centres don’t take it is given as the thin film having the potential for clogging the machinery used to sort the recycling. Same reason they give for not taking shredded paper. (All my shredded paper goes into the compost bin anyway, it’s good to mix with grass cuttings, stops them going slimy and getting too hot while they decompose).

From memory, they used to be able to take 6 cans of baked beans (415g each), or 6 cans of fizzy drink @ 330ml each, so quite a reasonable weight for the packaging style.
They were basically a miniature cardboard box - I’m sure someone well versed in the design of such things could come up with a clever way of folding to increase the strength of the card sleeve if needed…

I try to buy loose veggies when I can (it’s not always possible, it depends what you’re buying) - that way I can buy just the amount I need, rather than a pre-packaged, pre-determined amount that might be far too much.

Earlier in life, with a large family at home, I purchased groceries in bulk, too busy to go often to the store. Now I am planning ahead what I am purchasing and how it will be used. Shorter, more frequent visits to the store/farmers market, less materials in packaging, reusable/recyclable everything, and how I carry those home from the store. I wish the major grocery chains would change those plastic bags in the produce area.

They still have individual cups (plastic) of pudding, yogurt and fruit for kids that are packaged 4, 6 and 8 in a paperboard wrap. Sometimes 2-tier. Some of the kids’ cups are made from plant materials instead of plastic, but I read somewhere that even those contain something like 5% plastic (to keep the contents from soaking through. It must be a very thin plastic film inside. They tout these as biodegradable and do not have the triangle with the plastic code number. :thinking:

I can remember my father stopping at the bakery (Friehofer’s Bakery)) in Albany, NY and buying many, many loafs of day-old bread. They also bought potatoes in 50-lb sacks. When the potatoes were gone, the sack (paper) was wiped out and all of us kids would sit around it breaking up the bread into small pieces (like for little birds :wink:). When we were done, my mother would make bread pudding. A nice warm desert with milk and cinnamon (raisins and cinnamon in the bread pudding as well). :yum: Thinking bake, the bakery used to deliver house to house every morning - bread, rolls, breakfast rolls (with cinnamon and icing), etc… They had a commercial on TV during a children’s show they sponsored that proclaimed that they delivered to your door by 6:45 AM every morning. The local dairy also made door-to-door deliveries. Our family, as well as another 3 doors away were big customers. Both families had 11 and 12 children respectively, with 5 or 6 children present at one time. :grinning: Green peppers were purchased in big returnable cartons, as were many other vegetables. I believe one had to pay a deposit on each returnable box. These were the same boxes they used to deliver the produce to stores. I guess we ate pretty well now that I think about it. (Feeling full just thinking about it.) :laughing:

Sounds like the same reason that disposable “card” coffee cups cannot apparently be recycled - the thin inner plastic film renders them waste.
I guess in time some clever-clogs will come up with a way of making these items out of a plant-based material that doesn’t allow leakage/seepage.

Here we have those machines at supermarkets where one will takes glass bottles, another plastic bottles and a third that takes aluminum cans. These all crush the containers after reading the UPC codes on them (they’re rotated until the reader can read the codes) and it runs a tally of the number of containers, as well as indicates how much you’ll get back when you’ve finished. Once done you press a button and it prints a small slip of paper with the number of containers recycled and the amount due you - used to be US$0.05/container, but the Hannaford/Shop 'n Save store here in town chose to forego the penny the store gets and now we get 6 cents per container. Actually, we don’t buy very many drinks in bottles or cans, so my wife and I usually wait about 6 months before we return them. Sometimes we just give them to the grandchildren to “cash in” with any from their house. :wink: The slips can either be taken to the store office window and turned in for cash or used right at the check-out counter when paying for our groceries. Once in a while, if there is a young mother with a small child or two, the girls will give her their slips. I think that is nice of them - especially since they’re only 6 and 5 years old. :smile:

Your granddaughters sound so thoughtful and kind :star: