2018 Sept to Dec - Keep all your Random Thoughts right here!

Possible…

Saskatchewan has the highest rates of MS, as well as the most research…

My youngest sister has MS, plus a nephew. Right now they are both on programs where they can afford their meds. Hope no one decides to cut funding.

Very important. My step sister does also. Very dependent on what is happening to their body right now. She tends to have memory first then body changes. I sure hope for a cure in their future. They have come so close already but still in the very early research stages.

What next?..

Seeing as the Red Sox vs. Dodgers Game 3 Is Longest World Series Game Ever by Innings and Time. Game 3 between the Dodgers and Red Sox ended at a record time of seven hours and 20 minutes…I
decided to look up a few other long games:

• the longest NHL game went to six overtimes. That was in the 1936 Stanley Cup finals. Mud Bruneteau’s goal gave the Detroit Red Wings a 1-0 victory over the Montreal Maroons. 217 min and 14 sec is the new world record in a hockey game

• The longest tournament chess game (in terms of moves) ever to be played was Nikolić–Arsović, Belgrade 1989, which lasted for 269 moves and took 20 hours and 15 minutes to complete a drawn game.

• Longest soccer game-world record set by Bristol Academy and Leeds Badgers. BRISTOL, UK – Two English amateur football teams- Bristol Academy and Leeds Badgers- played soccer ( football ) non-stop for 36 hours in the ‘Footballathon’-setting the new world record for the Longest soccer game.Apr 27, 2009

• The Isner–Mahut match at the 2010 Wimbledon Championships is the longest tennis match in history. It was a first round Men’s Singles match, in which the American 23rd seed John Isner played French qualifier Nicolas Mahut.
    EDIT: The match began at 6:13 pm (British Summer Time, or 17:13 UTC) on Tuesday, 22 June 2010 on Court 18 at Wimbledon. At 9:07 pm, due to fading light, play was suspended before the start of the fifth set. After resuming on Wednesday, 23 June, at 2:05 pm, the record for longest match was broken at 5:45 pm. The light faded again, and so play was suspended at 9:09 pm, with the final set tied at 59 games all. Play resumed at 3:40 pm on Thursday, 24 June, and Isner won at 4:47 pm, the final set having lasted 8 hours, 11 minutes.

So how long was that longest tennis match in history? You like leaving us on the edge of our seats, don’t you. :wink: :grinning:

I came across this this afternoon. Hopefully they can develop a universal flu-killing vaccine with this… as long as they don’t use heavy metals in it.

Llama blood clue to beating all flu

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-46078989

They say when the weather gets cold, anything possibly wrong with your car will go wrong. Tonight after I started my car and just began backing out of my son’s driveway for the rainy drive home, the check engine light came on. At first I didn’t realize what it was as it has never ever come on before. Then the engine started running rough. Great! And this had to happen right after the solenoid for the power windows began to act up - only for the driver’s window of course! Had all I could do to get the window back up… about 3 minutes of down just a hair… trying to go up… didn’t work… down a hair more, etc., still no joy. Finally after I put the window all the way down to the bottom, it finally went up on the 3rd try. The 2nd time I began to lower the window (the next day), I put it down about an inch before I remembered about it acting up. Sure enough! It wouldn’t go back up. Since I was just around the corner from my house I pulled into my driveway and shut the car off. After getting out all the tools necessary to begin work on this problem, I decided to move the car closer to my workshop - getting lazy I guess. Once I started the car, without giving it a thought I hit the button to raise the window. It went up! Okay. Shut the car off, put my tools away and now I am going to make an appointment with the service station. They can fix the window problem, the engine problem and the loose heat shield that’s rattling. When it rains, it pours… :unamused:

Sorry you’re having troubles. Is this where a nice car name turns to something like “The Beast”?

Yes indeed! A taurus turned from a bull to a real beast. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Guess I’ll have to test the coil in the morning. I just may turn in early tonight. Already had my dinner and a dessert consisting of a great big bowl of cherry vanilla ice cream and a glass of thick, rich chocolate milk. :yum: Now I feel like lying down for a while. My luck if I do lie down, I won’t wake up until after midnight - or sleep right through til morning. Can’t get any nodding done that way. :wink:

Edit: It’s now 11:45 PM - I didn’t lie down. Got to listening to some music while swapping back and forth between nodding (2 campaigns) and doing a few household chores (Psst! Don’t tell the wife! :shushing_face:). I was just thinking about the weird choices of music I listened to. First I listened to instrumental… Clarinet music by Acker Bilk (mostly slow & soft), then a few songs by Daniel O’Donnell (he’s Irish you know :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), and presently listening to Willie Nelson. What a strange mix. But then again, I guess I’m a wee bit strange myself. :crazy_face: Before going to bed I’ll listen to The Righteous Brothers. Since I won’t have to mulch leaves in the morning, Angel said I can stay up as late as I want. :smirk_cat:

3 posts were split to a new topic: Legend dies - Stan Lee, Marvel Comics

I just realized that I cranked up the volume on my laptop to 50% while listening to “Believe” by The Trans-Siberian Orchestra. What a song to nod by! :laughing: Think I’ll scramble my playlist… probably come up with another far out song for nodding along to. Oh well… beats listening to the scanner and hearing about all those people sliding off the roads. I can’t believe how many people will decide to “run to the store” on a whim, and then end up in an accident. Silly and not too bright… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Speaking about “silly” people, about 2-1/4 hours after posting the above, I saw a private truck/plow come up the hill with its plow down. The town had already plowed the street/hill and laid down a decent amount of rock salt. This guy plowed all the way up the hill… taking the salt with it. There was less than a 1/2"/12 mm of snow that fell since the town did the hill. Now the grit that some people depend upon to make it up the hill isn’t there. ::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Guess they wanted to play in the snow.

Here’s some “history” tidbits about my area from both 1883 and 1918. The first is from a newspaper in the Hamlet of Coeymans (Coeymans Junction) and the second is from a newspaper in the Village of Ravena. I love how this local historian has been digging through the old newspapers for what was happening around here so many years ago.

News From The Past / As compiled by Harry A. Sturges

Coeymans Herald | November 22, 1883
S.H. & E.J. Sherman, Proprietors

• A.T. Stewart has disposed of three building lots at Coeymans Junction to Rensselaer Slade of Albany. We are informed that Mr. Slade will build a residence and three tenant houses on his purchase next spring.

• It is not an uncommon thing to see a procession of teams and wagons half a mile long coming to this market with produce.

• We understand [the city of] Troy parties are trying to purchase a site in this village for a collar factory.

• The cold has furnished the boys good skating on Friday and Saturday.

• Peter Vanburen is repairing the brick blacksmith shop at the Square.

• Miller and Whitbeck have built a runway at their ice houses to they can harvest ice from the river in front, as well as the creek in the rear of their buildings.

• The 177th regiment (old 10th) held a reunion in Albany today. We believe there are only three survivors of this regiment now living in this village - George H. Johnson, James Bailey and Sanford Hathaway.

News Herald | November 22, 1918
Ernest Haight, Managing Editor

COEYMANS

• All boys 16 to 18 must receive military training. Lt. J.V. Lonegran, 10th Infantry, has been assigned as military instructor for Coeymans. He will begin his duties on Wednesday, Nov. 27. Boys attending school at Coeymans and Ravena are expected to take their training at Ravena High School at 3:30. Employed boys are to train Wednesdays at 7:30. The military training regulations this year are compulsory for all boys 16, 17 and 18 years of age. Boys of this age should cinsider this notice sufficient to require their attendence at the time and place above stated.

• A.D. Caldwell of Indian Fields sold his apples to an Albany firm. Four large truck loads of 47 barrels each were taken to the city in two days.

• Collector G.H. Shafer has collected the full amount of taxes in the school district within the date prescribed by his warrant.

RAVENA

• The cider mill at the Duffy-Mott Co. plant is a busy place these days.

• A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Jay Vanderzee Friday morning last at the Springsted homestead.

• The timber tract on the Slingerland farm will become the scene of lumber as parties who have purchased the timber are soon to start sawing there.

• Mrs. E.C. Griffin received word that her cousin, Akins Palmer Griffin, had died in a hospital in France and that a memorial service was held for him in Medusa on Sunday. [3rd party note: Medusa is a hilltown in southwestern Albany County.]

2018 July to Dec - Hobbies, Interests, and nothing of Nodding

So is the lumber scene like the party scene?

Does that compress to S.Lumber Parties?

Only if you call a lot of men cutting down trees, cleaning them of their branches and loading them onto horse-drawn wagons a party. :smiley:

Could very well be! And it’s probably where they got “cutting Z’s” and “sawing wood” to mean going to sleep… you think? :rofl:

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2018 Christmas is Coming!