2018 - TESS and other Space news

Heading home once with my old satnave I came to a closed bridge. Drove half a mile away from it to get the thing to recalculate with an alternative route, turned out it brought me right back to the closed bridge. Ended up driving 2 miles away from it in order for it to recalculate to find me that alternative route home…added an hour onto my journey time :unamused:
It didn’t like new road layouts either, kept telling me I’d missed the turn-off and take the next left/right to turn around; I kept telling it “No! I can be just as stubborn as you can” :smile: Love arguing with a satnav…they never answer back :grin:

Mine talks, but doesn’t talk back! :rofl:

I think my satnav just goes and sulks in a corner somewhere when I don’t use its preferred route… it doesn’t always know best which way to go to encounter the least traffic!

Mine doesn’t even talk - I’ve silenced him/her/it, so it just shows me directions and traffic on screen.

Do you know what would be scary? If it tapped you on the shoulder and then flashed the route it wants you to take. :open_mouth: :rofl:

If satnav ever developed to a point that it could tap me on the shoulder, it’d probably be capable of grabbing the wheel and steering me in the direction it thought it knew best about! :scream::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sort of like when these new vehicles shake the steering wheel if you get too close to the shoulder than it “thinks” you should be? The first time that happened to my DIL, she freaked out… thought there was something wrong with her front wheels. :laughing: She disabled that immediately upon finding out what caused it. Ever try driving along the shoulder when you go past an accident and the road is down to less than one lane? Shimmy, shimmy, shake, shake… :unamused: Almost makes you want to get out and kick the wheels! :laughing:

And to stay more to topic… With this rain and snow (which seemed to stall just short of me), looks like another washout for meteor shower watching. Hey, this is the closest to “space news” as I could come up with on a spur of the moment! :laughing: I better get a cup of coffee…

Well, we were talking about satellite navigation equipment, which is vaguely on topic, seeing as the satellites are whizzing around in space above us.
No meteors for me last night either - it was clear, but I got distracted by other things. Will have to wait on the mid-December shower and pray for clear skies for both of us! :pray::pray:

Same here… Praying for clear skies for everyone! :wink:

Live: NASA’s InSight spacecraft to make historic landing on Mars

Thanks Shaul! Great moment in space achievements!

Edit: December 3

Don’t miss the Atlantic magazines annual Hubble Advent Calendar. A new quality image each day (need a new wallpaper for your screen?):

:open_mouth: OH WOW :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Thank you Kateg :grin:

:thinking: I wonder if I can blow one up large enough… and paste it to our parlor ceiling… :thinking: I know I’d love it, but I wonder how long before my wife notices it and wants it down. :thinking: :roll_eyes: :rofl: I did see where an artist painted a “sky scene” on his bedroom ceiling - blue sky, puffy white clouds, birds flying, etc. - and it looked fabulous… and relaxing. Years ago I tried to talk my grandson into painting one of his bedroom walls black with orange, red and yellow lightning strikes on it. I also said if he wanted something “different” he could always paint it lime green with carnation pink polka dots and swirls on it, but that he and his mother would probably get sick to their stomachs every time they walked into the room. He opted for fire engine red walls and a black ceiling. I thought my daughter was going to kill me. :innocent: :rofl:

That is what video projectors are for… projecting neat video…

My 6-yr old granddaughter wants to paint glow-in-the-dark stars on her bedroom ceiling and walls. And maybe a moon. I told her I’d buy the glow paint and help her, but she’d have to talk her mom and dad into it first. Maybe we’ll do some scenes on large poster board and put them up instead - less permanent. :wink:

You can actually get personalised ceiling wallpaper Jim, costs on average $25 a roll :wink:

When our son was born I actually painted a sky scene on his bedroom ceiling along with glow in the dark stars for night time, I also coated the clouds in a clear glow paint so the stood out at night too; back breaking work I can tell you :confounded:.
The ceiling was the last of the nursery artwork to go, we only painted over it two years ago, he was 15 then :smiley:

Guess I’ll just have to wait 'til this evening to see what day 4 reveals on the calendar waiting

The customized wallpaper is a great idea. Thank you. Now as to your back. You should have hired Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni… or Mike for short. :wink:

Ah but we were newly weds back then, with a brand new baby, we could only trade in a bit of gardening, sewing or baby formula perhaps :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: