2019 Act of Kindness

I’m going to start a new topic and hope that others will follow. Maybe in our little group, we can make a little difference in each of the areas we live.

A simple act of kindness. Post what you did. You could just help someone carry something, or give a homeless person a pair of socks, or a meal, or help someone unload their groceries, or put them in their car, or say Good Morning to 10 strangers…Let’s see if we cannot start a revolution of kindness…

My simple act of kindness this morning: I keep Tim Horton’s and McDonalds gift cards in my car in case I see someone who may need a meal. I gave one out this morning.

5 Likes

This happened the other day - in the rain. A women we know has a bum leg and walks with a severe limp. She lives at the bottom of the hill and her mother - whom I didn’t even know was still alive - lives in the Civill Senior Housing (the old Coeymans School) at the top of the hill. This woman, “P”, will walk 20’/6 metres and has to stop to rest for 30+ seconds. Up a little farther and rest. This is how she “makes the hill.” Anyway, it had just begun to rain and started coming down harder. I walked out to the sidewalk (she had just made it to my driveway) and asked her if she would like a ride since I was heading up to the store in the village. She gladly accepted my offer. I gave her a ride up to the side entrance of the senior housing and waited until she got inside. Then I returned home. (I really didn’t have to go to the store. :shushing_face:)

5 Likes

Nice! I am sure she was very appreciative!

EDIT: One of our gardeners was walking to the garden, but we have a cold bitter north wind this morning, so I swung around her walking direction to find her and picked her up.

5 Likes

I just went through the Tims coffee drive through…10 people behind me will get their coffee on me today! :wink:

4 Likes

Today, at the hospital, I helped a lady get to the right nursing station. Then on my way back to the area I was suppose to be for my appointment, there was another older gentleman lost. Why are hospitals so difficult to navigate? I believe it is because they are always adapting the huge space rather than the expense of completely renovating the building. Sometimes testing is in a temporary location until the new space is available. For older people, it is difficult to navigate the long halls, turns, elevators, especially if proper signage is not in place.

4 Likes

Sometimes there are so many signs/maps it takes 5 minutes to read everything! And if they’re renovating, forget it! Some people just move from one “intersection” to the next and ask for directions again. :laughing: It gets me when someone who has worked at the hospital for years thinks everyone should know their way around. At least the hospitals here have different color strips painted on the floors which will lead people to different areas of the hospital. That is a big help… so long as you don’t forget what color you’re supposed to be following. :rofl: Not that that ever happened to me. :lying_face: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

I prefer the strips or dots on the floor versus the hanging signs from above. For those with mobility issues, it is hard to look up to see those signs without swaying or falling. I have seen some that use a handheld device that tells you when to turn and take the elevator etc…sort of like a mini GPS.

We have a new childrens hospital that will open this year with many upgrades compared to the other hospitals in the city.

4 Likes

Helped a new gardener yesterday. Not that I am extremely experienced, but this is her first time attempting to grow a garden. Her choice of transplants may give her some difficulty but we will see. I remember I chose all the foods I loved, not realizing how long the maturity dates were, or how fussy that particular plant was to grow. Better to try, than not at all.

4 Likes

As long as she learns and does not get disheartened. Hopefully her attitude will be, “oh well, I’ll do something different next year” and not give up. Gardens can be a great learning tool… and a great headache and worry at the same time. But at harvest time it can be a great buffet! :yum:

4 Likes

Gardens time and patience and a little TLC. And just when you’ve decided to give up on a plant after all that TLC, be it fruit, veg or flower, that’s when it surprises you by suddenly thriving. That’s happened so many times over the years with me. My latest is an Azalea I rescued from my front garden and put it in a planter several years ago because it was dying. This year I was going to strip it of soil and untangle the roots of another plant that’s coming up through it and if that didn’t help I’d bin it. But it’s suddenly thrived so much so that my hubby insisted on taking a photo me with it, because it looks sooo good…the Azalea not me :smirk:

4 Likes

Yeah right! And what were you wearing that you’re hubby wanted to take your picture so badly? Huh? Huh? :wink: :grinning:

3 Likes

My gardening gear :rofl:
Well, I did run up stairs and pretty myself up a bit :smirk:

3 Likes

I thought so… and probably not wearing much beneath that garden gear… :astonished: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I’ve shied away from this thread because I was taught your right hand should not know the good your left hand has done.

But I can post ideas of kind acts that might be nice to do, like:

• people in shelters always ask for socks
  • purchase a couple throw-away soup bowls, fill with water, and put in areas where feral cats live
  • drop off 20 pounds of birdseed at Jim’s house
  • send a card to any address and wish the person well, just because
  • send a letter to a Veteran and instead of the generic “thank you for your service” ask him about his life and talk about yours
  • think of ways to connect with homebound folks
  • volunteer to read at the library for kids or the blind

my 2 cents

3 Likes

I did that for the chipmunk so he wouldn’t get hurt jumping from the rock pile to the bird bath and back when he wanted a drink of water. :smiley:

My wife and I take turns visiting a home-bound neighbor down and across the street.

That could present a problem… A husband may think his wife is cheating on him! :grinning: That could just cause some problems… especially if she is. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

That you can do. :smiley:

Did that a couple of years ago. Will have to do it again… and again…

Working on a few other ideas… and I’ve been watching others on the street and in the stores for their acts of kindness to share. Just have to get out more often. Maybe when I run up to the Red Cross Apheresis Unit to donate blood platelets and plasma. That takes about 45 minute to an hour - unless I do a double (which I do when I am eligible). Maybe I can hear some stories of what others have done and can post them here.

4 Likes

There are so many ways to help others…thanks for posting.

4 Likes

Ooh you’ve got some good ideas there Cagey. I’ve never thought of writing to Veterans; the socks are a good idea too.

2 Likes

My “Act of Kindness” - I saved 6 lives today!

Is it national “play in the traffic” day today?
I could have taken out 5 people in the space of 45 mins while I was out taking garden waste to the tip. The first two I could have taken out in one hit as they chased each other back and forth across a busy road. The third…on his mobile phone…ran out in front of me, hesitated when he saw me, then went to run on across the road and was nearly taken out at the knees by an oncoming car on the other side. The fourth was a driver who threw open his door and got out straight into oncoming traffic…me! The fifth was a cyclist who didn’t stop to check lights at a busy junction and just shot straight across right in front of me. If he’d followed the laws of the road, he should have been stopped at the red light, but oh no, he thinks those laws don’t apply if he mounts the pavement :rage:

They should be grateful I’m so alert and distrusting of ALL other road users be they on two feet or four, two wheels or however many more. I don’t even trust myself when I’m out walking :rofl:

3 Likes

wow…the one I really dislike is when they throw the door open into oncoming traffic. Some drivers seem to look and still throw it open??? I’m not sure if they feel they have the “right of way” compared to those heading towards their door and arm and leg at 60 kph (37 mph).

Out of six lanes of traffic, three going each direction, I was the only one to stop for a pedestrian at a crosswalk. She wouldn’t leave the sidewalk, and I don’t blame her, while I was the only one stopped. Typically the pedestrian is hit by the vehicle that speeds by the one stopped. It took a few minutes and my hazard lights on, before the rest on my side would stop!!! arrrrggghhh Just when you need a police cruiser to come by and hand out the tickets!

4 Likes

Saved or spared? Maybe you were in a good mood today?

Are there times when you walk all over people? :astonished:
Who was it I told I’d never get in a car with them? Was that you? I’ll have to look back in Random Thoughts to see. Maybe I’ll just stay on this side of the pond - and stay inside. :laughing:

4 Likes