2019 - April 1st to June 30th - Random Thoughts

We do have lots of Random Thoughts! Begins April 1st, 2019.

Coming soon!!!

5 Likes

Not the first thing that came to mind: (video did not work, article below)

4 Likes

It’s not working…I mean the post appears blank with just that play bar at the bottom of your post but it does say ‘Climate change could spell trouble for truffles’ when I hover the :mouse2: over it :confused:

4 Likes

I thought there was hope that the truffle industry would move north from France to the UK.

4 Likes

I remember reading an extensive article about truffles - both the low-grade and the much sought after high-grade truffles. A big industry! I seem to remember one man used an animal (a dog? or maybe a goat?) that could sniff them out. That was very interesting indeed.

4 Likes

Traditionally pigs or dogs. A well-grained truffle-hunting pig is worth a considerable amount of money.

4 Likes

Thanks. It was a pig. I just couldn’t remember off-hand as I think it was over a year ago I read that article. They may have even had a video on it as well. Supposedly, the pig only sniffed out “the best.” :pig_nose:

Edit: since no one has posted within the past 2 hours, and I don’t want to get scolded by the Discourse software, I’ll have to edit this post (with a completely different subject matter).
Does anyone want any eggs? :neutral_face: We have two neighbors who both want to give my wife and I eggs. One neighbor said we can have all we want - she has 76 more eggs at home and the chickens are “popping them out every day” as she put it so eloquently. :slightly_smiling_face: Seems like everyone on the dead end street is getting all the eggs they need (and don’t need). :laughing: One can only eat so many fried eggs in the morning and egg salad sandwiches for lunch before one starts to cringe at the sight of an egg. :nauseated_face:
Maybe I’ll go fry up a couple eggs. Or make a sandwich since my wife just made another batch of egg salad. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Surely you have some ice cream recipes that need eggs? :wink:

3 Likes

Frozen Custard Ice Cream (makes 1½ to 2 quarts)

• 6 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  1. In medium saucepan, beat together eggs, milk, sugar and salt.
  2. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon with a thin film and reaches at least 160 degrees F.
  3. Cool quickly by setting pan in ice or cold water and stirring for a few minutes.
  4. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least one hour.
  5. When ready to freeze, pour chilled custard, whipping cream and vanilla into one-gallon ice cream freezer can.
  6. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.

VARIATIONS
Banana Nut: Reduce vanilla to 1½ teaspoons. Cook and cool as above. Stir three large ripe, mashed bananas and 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans into custard mixture. Freeze as above.

Cherry: Reduce vanilla to 1 teaspoon. Add 2 tablespoons almond extract. Cook and cool as above. Partially freeze. Add 2 pounds pitted pureed dark sweet fresh cherries OR 1 can (16-17 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries, drained and chopped. Complete freezing.

Chocolate: Add three squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate to egg mixture. Cook, cool and freeze as above.

Plum: Reduce vanilla to 1 teaspoon. Cook and cool as above. Partially freeze. Add 1½ pounds pitted, pureed,
ripe, fresh plums. Complete freezing.

Strawberry: Omit vanilla. Cook and cool as above. Partially freeze. Add 2 cups sweetened, crushed fresh strawberries. Complete freezing.

4 Likes

No, no, no, no, no, no! Unless… :thinking: Nah!

4 Likes

Jim eats most anything… so I guess I’m game! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Go on! You know you want to! :smiling_imp::ice_cream::ice_cream::ice_cream:

4 Likes

Uhm… a church? Homeless shelter? How bout one of those passing ships on your river?

4 Likes

I’ll tell my wife if she makes a double batch, she can get rid of a dozen eggs - just like that! :rofl:

4 Likes

Make a great big sign next to the river: FRESH EGG SALAD - FREE!

4 Likes

I know the sea gulls would love to have some eggs, but it’s against federal law to feed and/or disturb sea birds. Here’s a way around that! These sea gulls (and most along coastal rivers) have never even been out to sea. They’ve lived their entire lives along the river. So technically, they’re not sea birds, just “water fowl”. :wink:

3 Likes

LAST idea. Go online. Get yourself ordained as a “minister”. Then, make the “At the River Church”. Put up a sign “Free Egg Salad”. When ship workers come, generally say “bless you, Brother / Sister”, and give each a double helping of egg salad. :slight_smile:

Edit: Oh, remind them that eggs make gas and to please pass gas only when downwind of residences, or only below deck. LOL

4 Likes

Below deck? :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Hmm, maybe if people stopped eating them…:thinking:

4 Likes

Unless I’m in a restaurant that uses them, not something I buy…too $$$$ and even the truffle oil or something like that.

4 Likes