2019 - Archeology, Palentology

Tsunami remnants on southern China island attract archeological interest

Perhaps sad that “dead and buried” no longer has the sense of finality it once had.

I agree. Many people are buried in places they’ve loved - whether it on a hill top, someplace overlooking a scenic river valley, etc. - with the expectations (and that of their descendants) that this would be their “eternal” resting place. Same for those buried in the pyramids all over the world. If a “commoner” found and robbed these graves they would be jailed, but if an explorer found and robbed these graves, he would gain fame and the “riches” that were taken would end up in a museum or a “private” collection. How is this any different from disturbing someone “eternal resting place” and grave robbing? And to place someone’s mummified body on display? There’s a lot of pros and cons to this whole idea of “for the sake of learning and historic preservation.” Here in my town there used to be a Native American village. The City of Albany (NY) needed more water for its residents, so it was decided that a creek could be dammed up to create a reservoir. The graves all had to be exhumed and relocated before the work could be done. So much for their eternal peace. To this day, when the water level has dropped sufficiently, one can still see where the village was and a wide path leading to and away from it.

Caption: Statue of Trim the cat who accompanied Cpt. Flinders on his voyages.
From

I think Trim the Cat was my 899,652nd cousin thrice removed through my mother’s mother’s gr-gr-gr-gr-uncle on her father’s side, who loved to splash around in barrels chasing chips of wood. lol

I hope he never made it into the pickle barrel! :scream_cat:

Think Trim enjoyed lots of… FISH!

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: