2019 - Chemicals In Consumer Products

I usually check labels when I buy stuff, but yesterday I quickly chose a shampoo when they didn’t have my usual. Then later I looked at the label. It has methylisothiazolinone. I hadn’t heard of it and googled it. It turns out it is a major allergen and a British study showed 10% of the population has a skin reaction, some serious. Here’s an article about the allergies caused by this chemical: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/24/business/allergy-trigger-found-in-many-personal-care-items-comes-under-greater-scrutiny.html?emc=edit_th_20150124&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=68634180&_r=0

Here’s a youtube BBC segment on it: https://youtu.be/28hyTi56MTo

I also found a website https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
That lets you search by chemical or product name for cosmetic and skin care products including things like sunscreen, mouthwash, and toothpaste in addition to lotions, shampoos, and makeup.
It rates each product based on all of the individual ingredients and those individual ingredients are evaulated as well. Each chemical compound/ingredient has a list of scientific references to back up what they have said, as well as a list of which countries or regions have banned or restricted a chemical compound’s use in products.

5 Likes

I just sent my DIL a link to a Consumer Reports article on heavy metals (including arsenic and lead, among others) found in fruit juices purchased across the U.S.A. Noticed some famous brands were the worst. There’s a link in the article to how they tested/rated each product. Interesting and disturbing at the same time. :worried:
Edit: Here’s the link. (I forgot to included it before submitting the post… Duh!)

https://www.consumerreports.org/food-safety/arsenic-and-lead-are-in-your-fruit-juice-what-you-need-to-know/

4 Likes

So 10% of their customers are going to react badly to the product? Doesn’t sound like good business to me.

5 Likes

You literally have to stand in the store and look some of the ingredients up on your phone. … …but wait there are apps for that…(below) that you can scan the bar code…the website you mentioned @Kateg also has an app…EWG. Think Dirty - Shop safer app will show you exactly what “dirty ingredients” are in that product and suggest cleaner alternatives.

I’ve gone back to “basics”, they are simple, one ingredient, or homemade without the chance of harmful chemicals.

4 Likes

Thanks for telling us about the app. I had been typing ingredients into the search bar. The bar code scan is much better!

4 Likes

Just looked that one up as I’d not heard of it either… the section that scared me was the bit that read "It is a cytotoxin that may affect different types of cells." :scream:

A useful link, thank you! I’ve bookmarked that one for future reference.

Same here. I decided a couple of years ago (maybe longer) to try to reduce or eliminate harmful chemicals wherever possible. Not always easy to do, but it’s happening slowly in my household.
Parabens, pthalates are a definite no-no if I can find a way of avoiding them.

4 Likes

Another thing that doesn’t belong in food or anything else is titanium dioxide, one of (if not the most) abundant compound on earth. It is a pure white powder that was originally used to make white paint. Now you find it in food stuffs like yogurt and even white Life Savers ( i.e.: peppermint, wintergreen). The problem is that is that is nano-particles. Once you ingest these nano-particles, they collect in your body - especially in certain organs - and build up. It is nearly impossible to rid yourself of them. As they build up in your organs, that puts stress on them which can cause them to function at a reduced level and/or fail. The reason for using titanium dioxide? It’s dirt cheap and makes these products look appealing because of the whiteness. You may want to check out your toothpaste also! Some contain this compound also.

3 Likes

@Jim7 and anyone else with kids under teen years, be especially cautious with foods. We’re here to protect our kids, not poison them. For girls, watch out for hormone enriched products, like milk --> cheese.

4 Likes

And all of those chemicals that are endocrine disruptors. And that goes for adults as well as children. The chemical (toxic) world we now live in.

Yesterday I saw a cartoon drawing of a tree at the edge of a forest. An artist comes along and sees the tree as elaborately shaped furniture. A carpenter comes along and sees the tree as lumber. A woodsman comes along and sees the tree as firewood. Finally a young boy comes along and sees the tree as… a tree and admires its beauty and the wildlife living within it!

Edit: I guess I should have put that tree cartoon comment in Random Thoughts. But then I would have had to spend more time doing that. I still have to clean my printer heads before I go to bed. :tired_face:

4 Likes

The other night I read about a research done on none other than dental floss. Seems there is a major brand that has a chemical in it that you don’t want in your mouth. So why is it in their product? (I have to find what I did with that link for this. I know I kept it because my DIL uses the brand with the chemical in it in her house. I’ll update this post with the link.

And glyphosate is in tampons, sanitary napkins and so many other things made of cotton. Thank you Monsanto (now Bayer). Here’s a link to a research done on glyphosate in may of our foods.
Food Testing Results

Edit: I found the link to the article about the dental floss tests. Seems I read it somewhere between the end of January and the beginning of February. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
https://jonbarron.org/toxins-pollution/toss-floss

2 Likes

Uhm… All my life, I have used a major brand of ‘sanitary pads’; begins with an S and ends with e, with 6 other letters between them.

As an aside, I’m very sensitive to scents and chemical scents. I can detect if someone changed the hand sanitizer they used, or if they changed brand of tea.

Last January, I opened a new bag of the pads — and they stunk like petroleum oil !! We had just bought 6 bags (a case), so I open another bag-- same thing. But my friend couldn’t smell any odor; told me I was ‘nuts’. So I used one… and Oh my Gawd… wasn’t even 15 minutes before I reacted! Vaseline is a petroleum oil product, but no woman would put it against sensitive mucous membranes! Took months to treat the chemical burns.

Later, I found an unopened bag I bought months before the odiferous (stinky) ones. The old bag’s pads had no scent at all. Reopened the ‘newer’ bag— oil smell. The co made some change but wouldn’t admit it. After using their product for a lifetime, I stopped buying last year.

These are the kind that are folded into 3rds, then have a light plastic wrapper around it. The co. said they outsourced those wrappers, BUT they complied with USA standards. Noooooooo… something had petroleum OIL in it!

As a test, I unwrapped 3 of the new pads and laid them flat on a shelf. Each week, I’d give a sniff. Still stunk. It took nearly 4 months for the “scent” to reduce. But even a small amount of p-oil put in that body location can do harm.

Shudder!

Note: They add petroleum oil or derivatives to many products now, especially ones made of or wrapped in plastic. My daughter bought 2 large plastic bins so I could store some blankets. Terrible p-oil odor ! Both went back to the store.

3 Likes

That’s one of the problems with US standards…they lower them after being lobbied to death by major corporations/special interests. They’ve done the same thing for toxic chemicals in foods - in some cases increased the “safe level” more than 30 times than before. And then independent laboratories all around the world find that even less than 1/100th of the original “safe level” causes problems. So now people can “enjoy” eating more than 30 times the toxic chemicals. And for the first time in its history, the FDA “proudly proclaimed” its accomplishments (for 2018). Now they’re patting themselves on their backs? WhatTheHey! Are the FDA higher ups also narcissistic?

As for subtle differences in a product, I will always remember the corn on the cob test done with squirrels. Four ears of corn - 2 GMO and 2 Non-GMO (natural) - were mounted upright on a board and left out for a week. Squirrels came and had their fill. At the end of the week the cobs were checked for the amount of kernels left on each. The GMO corn were barely touched whereas the natural corn was completely devoured. They surmised that the reason there was some GMO corn eaten was only because several squirrels were feeding at once and each must have picked out a cob. But they very quickly stopped eating the GMO corn and waited for a chance at the natural corn. Think certain corporate “scientists” would realize that if a squirrel can tell something’s not good to ingest, then it’s not good for humans either? But then again, they’re not making money off the squirrel test. :unamused:

Some of the additives to plastics (BHA or PSA am I thinking of?) that was banned was replaced with new chemicals (within the same family but with longer chains). Corporations touted “the safety” of these new chemicals - until independent research found the new chemicals have the same affect in the human body as the “old” additives. Can’t think straight right now - on a “snow high” :crazy_face: Oh yes, the chemical is added to plastic to make it more pliable and withstand breakage. Used in baby bottles, kids toys and more.

3 Likes

Baby bottles! TG I’m out of that phase. LOL

4 Likes

I’m just glad they don’t serve ice cream in them! :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

The Guardian news organization is doing a six-month long series of articles on chemicals in our environment. They have already published a few articles. They are also asking for contributions to make this series possible.

4 Likes

From The Guardian’s “Toxic America” series:

4 Likes