2019 Community Gardens, growing your own food

:rofl: Nice try, but…

:nauseated_face::face_vomiting::mask:

I’ll stick to using the home-grown tomatoes in a simple pasta sauce! With strawberries and cream for dessert. Strawberries home-grown (self-set semi-wild plants, don’t know where they came from but they do produce some good fruit), cream from the local supermarket.

4 Likes

They were probably plain old wild strawberries - especially if you didn’t plant them yourself. I used to pick wild strawberries when I was young… a couple of years ago. :roll_eyes: Depending upon what type of soil they were growing in and how much water they received seemed to determine their size. Of course I had to fight off the birds to get some. They were very sweet.

When I was in high school I had made a strawberry patch in my our backyard. I planted “Giant Strawberries” (as the advertisement read). They were indeed giant! There was one that was the size of a baseball! I waited and waited for that berry to ripen. One morning I went out to check it before going to school and decided it was time to pick it - when I got home. That day my mother babysat one of my nephews for one of my older brothers. :neutral_face: When I got home from school I ran out back to pick that strawberry and it was gone! :anguished: When I went inside and inquired about it, my mother told me my nephew (2-1/2 years old) had picked it and eaten half of it. She said he did like it very much. :slightly_frowning_face: I had to settle on strawberries that were only the size of tennis balls to use for strawberry shortcake that evening. :unamused: The next spring my father told me I had to get rid of the strawberry plants as they were sending runners out all over the lawn. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Never did forget watching that one particular strawberry grown though. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

There are many reasons to grow your own food…but what about food you eat that you cannot grow in your area. I live in a land locked province. At best I can purchase locally caught fish (a listing of the types http://www.southsaskriverstewards.ca/ckfinder/userfiles/files/Web%20SK%20Fish%20Sp_%20complete%201.pdf)
But salmon, shrimp, scallops would be purchased from the Pacific Coast/Atlantic coast.

I guess this now brings “label reading” to another level!

3 Likes

My 7-year old (8 in 5 days :birthday:) wants to grow green beans. She had some seeds left over from last year - which I kept here in an airtight container with some desiccant bags - and yesterday she informed me she wants to grow some so they can have beans with their dinner. :thinking: That’s strange… we could never get the girls to eat their vegetables, especially green beans and wax beans (yellow). No matter how I explain to them that they’re great with some real butter melted over them, or even plain, they would eat but one and that was it. Maybe… this year will be different if they grow their own? And maybe I can get them to eat some while they’re picking them? :smiley: I’m not betting my house on that one. :laughing:

3 Likes

I’m looking for a new variety of eggplant…anyone grow them? what type do you grow?
:eggplant:

3 Likes

My DIL grew them until they put the addition on their house a couple of years ago - right where her garden was. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I’ll have to ask her if she remembers which variety she grew. But knowing her she’ll just give me a blank stare. :neutral_face: :laughing:

3 Likes

Our peach tree produced its first fruit last spring. Eight peaches. I brought one inside and it was so delicious. I got distracted and didn’t pick the rest. Two days later they were gone! Not even pits on the ground. The animals that took them didn’t waste time sticking around to eat them! I wonder what animal would take the whole peach without eating them in place. Raccoons perhaps?

4 Likes

Or humans Perhaps? :frowning_face::hushed::hushed:

4 Likes

When we used to have a peach tree in our side yard (east side), gray squirrels used to munch on them both in the tree and taking some away. Those they left on the tree (half-eaten) were quickly pounced upon by bees and other bugs. Of course being exposed to the air, mold loved the sugary moisture on warm nights. I felt like I was constantly climbing up and picking off the partially-eaten ones - and clipped the “suckers” from the branches while up there. By the 7th year I was really thinning the tree so more air could circulate and keep the mold down. A lot of work - all because my wife thought “the flowers were pretty.” :roll_eyes: She found a tree knocked over by a wind storm in a neighbor’s back lot. There were still half the roots in the ground so the next spring it flowered. She took a good size clipped and transplanted it in our yard - not even knowing what she had planted. Every time I looked at those leaves I thought, “I’ve seen those leaves before” and never gave it another thought… until one year I compared a leave with one from the booklet from The National Arbor Day Foundation… a peach tree! That’s where I saw them before! In our neighbor’s backyard when I was growing up. My brother and I used to jump the fence and raid his peach, pear and apple trees… and the white and red grape vines on his trellis… and the red raspberries along his back fence… and the Italian plums from the old Italian guy who lived on the next street over. His backyard abutted my neighbor’s. :rofl: Everything was so good back then. :yum: No pesticides and other chemicals.

Edit: I just remembered… birds also peck at peaches… bluejays love them as do some other birds… especially when they get ripe and juicy - and they usually do their pecking the day before you go out to pick them, making it hard to find any without a bunch of holes in them! :laughing:

4 Likes

A good article on our future food needs and how the world can achieve them: (photos swipe right, scroll down for story)

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/feeding-9-billion/

4 Likes

I asked my DIL what kind of eggplant she grew before they had the addition built. At first I got a blank stare, then the answer, “Purple.” :rofl: She’s clueless! :rofl:

3 Likes

Purple…:rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

I may try Black Bell this year. They are still dark purple but a little smaller in size.

3 Likes

I love eggplant… especially Eggplant Parmesan. On second thought, I like food. :yum:

Once I get this yard cleaned up, I have to get out all the supplies and have my granddaughters come down to start some seeds. The oldest of the three (just turned 7 on the 20th) wants to grow green beans. The 5-yr old wants to grow flowers “for grandma and mommy.” :laughing: I told her no problem. She can do that. I think I may have her plant some lavender along the house on the south side - plenty of sun there. We have to decide where we want the pole beans. I’ve been trying to talk my granddaughter into planting them at her house (with her mother’s help), but she can definitely leave them here while getting started. (I think I’ll do a better job at keeping them watered before it’s time to put them into the ground. :wink:)

4 Likes

We break ground next week for our community garden…(as long as the road is passable and the tractor and tilling equipment can get in and don’t get stuck!!!)…tilling then harrows…then soil testing…compost mixed in…plots marked out…planting doesn’t happen until the third week of May at the earliest…depending on night temperatures!!! This week I found pole bean, simpson lettuce, spinach, etc…:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Don’t forget about “Frog Chirping Day”! :rofl:

4 Likes

I used to grow tomatoes, but didn’t set them in the ground until the July 4th weekend. I had tomatoes right into the beginning of December. Of course I had to cover them every night and finally had to pick all the remaining ones once it started getting well below freezing. (I love fried green tomatoes! :yum:)

We had so many tomatoes the last year I grew them that I had to cook over 480 of them down to tomato paste. We used that for making spaghetti sauce and for other dishes as well. Had to much we were giving it away to family and neighbors. (I think I had gone a little overboard with setting so many plants. :grinning:)

One of the varieties I grew was an heirloom that had great taste (on sandwiches). Nothing like the “meaty” tomatoes they’ve since come out with that have very little taste. A good sandwich made with freshly picked (and sliced) tomatoes with sliced onions,a little mayonnaise and maybe a slice of cheese is super! And to think I really, really hated tomatoes when I was growing up (unless it was a spaghetti or pizza sauce.) Maybe I’ll grow some again this year on the south side of the house. Plenty of sun… but then where shall I put the lavender?

4 Likes

The last five years I have grown mine in containers. I am out there everyday picking and using them for meals. I also will have some of my herbs in containers because I use them daily…basil, rosemary, dill, thyme. I will also grow some in the community garden to dry or freeze.

I was good with the sandwich until you put on sliced “onion”…:nauseated_face:

Love to use onions in my recipes, just not raw.

4 Likes

I use Vidalia onion (eating onions) on sandwiches, not the yellow onions used in cooking… although if we didn’t have any Vidalia, I have been known to slice the yellows thin and use them. :yum:

Both of our kids as they grew up ate onions in most of the foods they ate. We just never seemed to mention it. Just before our daughter was moving out, she found a little larger than usual piece of onion in meatloaf. Of course she had to say something… and ever since our son wouldn’t eat anything with onions in it. When my wife would make something - without onions - he would always complain that “it doesn’t taste good - like the way you used to make it.” :roll_eyes: My wife would tell him that’s because she didn’t put any onions in it. He still won’t eat them to this day, and neither will our daughter. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

I don’t use yellow, just white.

My kids thought I didn’t use them, they just didn’t know I puree’d them and put them in the recipe.
Now as adults, they all eat them.

3 Likes

The only way my two kids eat onions are sauteed with bell peppers and put on sausage. Neither one will eat them any other way. Go figure! :confused:

4 Likes