2019 Crabeater Seal POI & odd images

I came across some very pretty ice - almost rainbow-like. The largest section is at the bottom while as you go up and to the left the colorful sections get smaller. The first photo is just of the lowest part zoomed in (+2?). The 2nd photo is of all of them.
https://www.tomnod.com/campaign/campaign_2969/question/49136

I found an all black tile that resists panning and zooming out or in… it says it is doing so, but just a poly and black… even zoomed out to 500 km… anyone else see that? just my luck to get an antarctic midnight shot from under the ice… oh well that is a first on TN for me…

Oh! this one https://www.tomnod.com/campaign/campaign_2969/question/26503

Little man at the abyss. Bottom, outside of poly. I think we all should jump.

https://www.tomnod.com/campaign/campaign_2969/question/69418

I think that poly sort of missed the map entirely! :laughing: I had two all black polys and after zooming out I could see the top of the map way down at the bottom of the screen. On the other poly… no map… just like yours. I figure if I can’t see anything zooming out to -2 or -3, then it’s definitely not worth continuing - No Seals.

When I click on this I DO see an image. I am on my IPad which has a slightly different interface (on the iPad you can see the entire map when you zoom out; on the desktop you only see tiles you have visited).

Today, I went and checked that again… and there is an image now, and all the controls work… that is. the zoom scale on the right is now working… it was there but not indicating anything but 0… even when the scale was going higher or lower… I guess it just got stuck some how… but my recorded no stands.
Also I was able to move to a new tile today on a remark of the vote… even though it was already there… should be no worse than changing a vote … I’m sure they just count the remark…

Anyway moving on… Thanks to @Jim7 and @kateg for the comments… I don’t think there is or should be any difference in the image regardless what you look at it with… I can always zoom out to 5km scale and then pan over the whole image… not just what I’ve seen… that only happens when we are in grid search mode… and you get tile numbers… poly searches only count the poly id… thus a whole set of image is there… in this case Mel said there were something like 61 images and 60k polys between them… but that is from memory and not exact… BTW for breaks, I’m collecting them in whole for reference… although I doubt I can ever locate on the map of Antarctica unless I get a landmark…
Although the instruction page states that it is Weddell Sea… area… Also want to take Jims idea of making his image into a jigsaw… online… but on my site I can’t make it public… but I think I can do it for ‘friends’, the instructions are vague… they don’t allow general members to post on the site… but we can share them with other members… There are other sites of course.
Got to go eat something then back to life and nodding…

The older of my two younger brothers has a summer home on a private lake. We took a picture - standing on the balcony of the first floor - of the lake with the two very small, narrow islands and make it into a jig-saw puzzle for our sister-in-law to do while she is there relaxing. When she finished it, she coated the entire back side of the puzzle with a resin. (I forgot exactly what it is… we used to do that with our own picture-puzzles of our grandson and other nature scenes.) She framed and mounted the puzzle on the living room wall in the summer home. Everyone comments on it when they stop to visit… usually for a weekend visit. :grinning:

As to the campaign, there was a couple of times when, after casting my vote, the program seemed to hang after highlighting the vote bar. I ended up simply refreshing the page and the problem self-corrected. :thinking:

The images in this campaign are during spring time in the Weddell Sea. Lots of pressure ridges, finger rafting, rough ice, etc.

Does anyone have the general image dates written down from the other Weddell Seal campaigns? Those campaigns seemed to be more in the winter season. Just curious.

After I clear some snow off from beneath the pine tree and put out some seed for the birds, I could look back at some images I have to see if I have any with the dates on them. Most of the photos I’ve cropped to post and cut out the dates, my stats and narrowed both sides though.

Edit: I looked at some photo clips I have from both the Weddell Seal Part 1 and Part 2 campaigns. They were all dated during the month of November, but ranged from 2010 to 2016. I checked 8 photos I hadn’t cropped the “excess” data from. A little help here, but isn’t November in their spring/summer season?

It is Spring also…starts in September to December. Maybe these Crabeater images are taken in a different area of the sea…not sure…I didn’t recall seeing as much “finger rafting” in the Weddell Seal campaigns.

Here’s a seal! Looking right at us through the ice! :laughing: (top left inside poly) Also notice the man’s face below the seal’s face.
https://www.tomnod.com/campaign/campaign_2969/question/1959

This certainly is a “no frills” campaign…no research stations, no penguins…just a lot of ice and the occasional seal. :slightly_smiling_face:

What are the dimensions of the seals? I find things that are clearly too large i.e. 10m. Haven’t seen anything small enough yet. When you find a seal, is it by zooming in to +3 to compare to the scale bar? How many feet/meters?

The seal examples don’t have a scale bar, but the resolution looks better on the examples. There, it looks like you could see the seal at +1…that’s what is confusing. :face_with_monocle:

You know they’re going to use “picture perfect” photos for the examples. :wink:

20 m 100 feet +2 works for me…hoping that the algorithm will cover if I have marked “seals” to the wrong type of seal!!! :smiley:

And, the seals look up at the right moment!

:thinking: I wonder if penguins take selfies… I know there’s too many of them to take a group shot. I know an easy way to count them too. Make them all go through a turnstile and be counted automatically. But then, I suppose, you’ll always get those trying to be funny and duck under or hop over the turnstile. I wonder if they make snowmen in the shape of penguins. :thinking: :crazy_face:

I found an interesting summary description on Wikipedia for Crabeater Seals…

I believe they stated that the average length was 2.3 m / 7.55 feet.

There is another set of images with examples further down on the instruction page… those ones do have scales and all are at 100m and 500 feet… (not supposed to be equal, just references).

One thing I noticed early is that Tomnod images are locked into orientation and the scale is always the same sideways… when an object is appearing in the up / down orientation it doesn’t measure well…
Similar for diagonal objects…

Good old Pythagoras to the rescue… I simply drag the image around until the object is touching one end of the scale line I wish to use M or ft… most can estimate 45 degrees from the top down to the line… if it crosses the centre say of 10 metres then it would be about 5 metres long ( for a vertical one)
or way too long for a crabeater… doing that again at 5 m scale would get down to 2.5 top to scale line center… a diagonal line would do the same, but would be on the angled line or Hypotenuse… and could be calculated… I just eyeball the screen, but you could make a scale to hold up to the screen as well…

A Caution… I suspect that while close, the calibration of that scale on terrain with no references is suspect and probably based on orbital information… but will be close and then factored into some resemblance of accurate… I have seen some very long trucks and things on TN compared to what I know of such things in real life… It is hard to get perfect… however it can be and should be done for the satellite position over the ground, timing is usually based on the GPS constellation time… just like you smart phone… (I’m told, I don’t own one…) which is basically the root of all forms of science time these days, and your life… look at you cable tv… you will usually see a time code on there somewhere… heck my cable box clock is set to the GPS… and your smart phone, and just about anything else that auto synchs time… like your computing device… The math is complex just for the orbit, but then you have to factor the angles, and velocity etc… I used to work “HAM” radio satellites
and we had software that calculated the orbits and angles so we could aim the antennas and calculate and control the doppler shift in frequency as it came closer and then went away from us… so it can be done… and automated to boot.

Anyway a few seconds with a ruler and a pencil / paper and you can follow the measuring thing… it works on Google Earth, but isn’t needed they have a Ruler feature and even if they didn’t they allow you to align the object with the scale… but they are not TN… nor do they need to be.

I hope that this might help anyone, or leave them confused… but I answer questions. When I can see… I know I pointed this at Kateg but that there were other questions in the list… Scout style field craft is all it is… as in estimate / measure the height of a tree, or cliff, or the width of a river you need to cross… by hand and eye.

I went and found an image, no scale, but what our search is seeking from the air… nice and clear so it is likely a helo or drone…
https://ocean.si.edu/crabeater-seals

You also have to factor in “blur” in the pixels. Most of the photos aren’t that sharp, especially at those distances. Still, I wish I could see that well at even half the distance the satellites. I’d see even better than eagles. :laughing:

@Jim7 Wait… you mean everyone sees blurry images… I thought I was going blind!.. oh wait some more… It’s just advancing age again… and losing something I’m supposed to be looking for…