2019 - Feb 1st to March 31st - Weather Reports and Descriptions

16°F -9°c
weather conditions : Partly Cloudy

Tonight…
Brrr
Mostly clear, with a low around 10. Calm wind.

SUN FEB 10 | SNOW

weather - Sun Feb 10 - Snow

Less brrrr, more sun, but more snow…
Snow likely, mainly after 5pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 31. East wind 3 to 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Snow? (pant, pant, pant. Don’t hyperventilate, Jim! Calm down! :laughing:)

Ah… 74-75F/23.3-23.8C… that’s what our house is at right this minute. Tee-shirt weather! :sweat_smile: My basement is 73.6F/23C and my workshop is 67.1F/19. I may have to go down to the workshop and warm that up a little. Don’t want my paints, varnishes, wood stains, etc. to catch a cold. No, no, no… can’t have that!

2019 You wonder if you're getting senile when

Weather is -31 C (-23 F) with no winds.…I don’t
say that very often…We are going to warm up to -22 C (-7 F) but not until after midnight tonight.

Oh darn I jinxed it…now -39 WC (-38 F) …winds E 8 kph

Woke to another clear crisp day… -24C / -11.2 F I think that is the coldest in a while now… thankfully just a light breeze… Sun is up and it should warm a bit… not sure where this came from since the forecast last night was a bit milder… still it says we will start warming steadily after today… but still - highs… only single digit Cs… and some snow.

I will have to get outside and start (or try) the van… it’s Sunday and Lynne has her appointment at the Health Unit at 1pm… I might need to top up my battery charge first… but we will see… I’ll just prepare for that… but it has worked almost two weeks now… but this is cold… for when I was younger we went camping in this temp… or colder… got caught out once at -40 or colder since we had an F only thermometer and it only went to 40 and was pinned there… luckily we had a cabin to fall back on.
THAT was cold… lucky NO wind at all… nice aurora though…

When I was a kid, my father, my two older brothers and the older of my two youngest brothers went camping at a lake for 3 days. It rained practically every minute… until it was time to leave. That’s when the sun decided to come out. Nice sunny drive home though. :roll_eyes:

Last night our low was -19F/-28C. This morning it was cloudy (got 0.1"/2.5 mm of snow), but by 11 AM it became mostly cloudy with more and more sun breaking through. By just a few minutes before noon it reached 32F/0C. Our high is supposed to be 35F/1.7C. There’s a mild breeze blowing with light gusts. Not too bad. My remaining snow banks and piles are steadily shrinking though. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Edit: Woo-hoo! Lookie here! Snow on Tuesday! :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :woozy_face: Oh my heart! Calm down… calm down… :laughing: 8-12"/20-30 cm!

Vancouver and Victoria got snow most of Sunday! So unusual, and such a mess. The morning commute will be terrible!

-22 C -32 WC here…we had a snow through the night so the icy roads are now really slick!
Could take a while for everyone to get to work this morning!

I was up early today… not just awake… we had a bit of snow overnight but maybe 1 to 1.5 cm on the ground… just wanted it off the front walk before the tenants here all walk on it and it becomes work… too late though… much was down last night and there were already packed spots… sigh…

Anyway the whole job was 5 minutes including a light spread of melter pellets… just as prevention… dang it took me 10 minutes to get dressed… ha.

It was -17C / 1.4 F out , calm and stopped for now in the precipitation area… however… a bit more is forecast during today and… by end of tomorrow up to 5cm / 2 inches followed by more… subject to late changes of course… but a slight warming trend… Lucky to have a bit of a slack period this week so far… oh wait it just started… the week that is.

I have the same problem here with other people packing the snow… except it’s in my driveway. Even though the intersection to the dead-end street is just on the other side of my property, everyone uses my driveway to turn around in. The apron is wider than the intersection. By the time I get outside to clear the sidewalk and apron, there’s hard-packed tracks from everyone’s tires. The snow shovel doesn’t usually get that off but rides over the packed snow. I usually have to use a steel shovel on that. Then the ice melt pellets. (I think I get more traffic once everything’s bare. It’s cleaner than the intersection. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:)

Before going to bed this morning (2:30 AM) I looked at the weather radar and saw snow bands heading this way. :heart_eyes: Upon awakening at 9:40 AM (again) there were big flakes coming down. By 10 AM we had 0.3"/0.8 mm - that’s it! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Then the flakes go smaller… and smaller… and smaller… and where’d they go? It stopped. Only a few more snow showers expected until 11 AM, then nothing I guess - until tomorrow morning when the storm moves in. Looks like it may be a snow day for the school kids. Uh oh! “Grandma? Grandpa? Can we come to your house?” :laughing:

Overnight low last night only went do to 26.7F/-2.9C thanks to a cloudy/overcast sky. It was mostly calm overnight. By 10:00 AM it was up to 27.9F/-2.3C so it doesn’t appear to be a warm day - although a lot warmer than @TerriB. Our high today is supposed to be 33F/0.5C.

The ice is almost gone from our front walk, but there are a few spots with about an inch (2.5 cm) of ice left from the really thicker stuff. Have to clear that so I have a clean walk to start the next storm with. The river is practically free of floating ice now. Of course the river banks are all encrusted with ice carried from the wakes of the passing ships and barges. Looks pretty cool in some sections.

@Jim7 There is of course, the rest of the parking lot, and the walkway, local sidewalks and such… but it isn’t a big problem right now… it isn’t even an inch worth… however no one living here but me believes in not tire packing the parking spots and such… except for the guys who feel it is their privledge to spin the tires and turn it all to shiny ice patches… ha.

@TerriB I’ve seen that before… reminds me of some of the old creative lens filters you could buy…
Star crosses using two finely scibed lines on a neutral filter gave the same effect but only in limited fashion… there were others as well, those were the fun times… film was cheap and often processing was DiY at least for B/W.

Now the sun is out and the temps are rising towards -10C… a heat wave…

Looks like they changed our forecast again. From the original 6"-12"/15-30 cm, down to 5"-8"/12.7-20 cm, now it’s 7"-10"/18-25 cm with about 0.1"/2.5 mm of ice around 6 PM tomorrow evening. The snow is supposed to start as everyone will be heading out for their morning commute to work. It’s supposed to snow all day, change over to sleet and freezing rain from 6-7 PM, then back to all snow again… through Wednesday morning. By 12 noon Wednesday it’ll taper down to snow showers. It’ll be fun. :heart_eyes:

Currently at 1:28 PM the temperature is holding at 30F/-1C. It’s mostly cloudy with some sun. Winds are 10-15 mph/16-24 kph with occasional gust a little higher.

It sounds like you are getting that same storm moving in to Ontario Monday night and Tuesdya.

(I am hoping my family makes it through that area tonight and onto their next flight west before they are cancelled :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:)

Why does it feel biting cold at 35F ??

A chance of rain and snow before 5pm, then a chance of rain. Areas of fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 35. East wind 3 to 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

night
Rain and snow before 1am, then rain after 2am. Areas of fog before 2am. Low around 34. East wind 6 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Have I mentioned that the Turnpike ferrets out the bad, poor, cautionary, and “I ain’t driving in that!” drivers from across the country? Sadly, 2 teens lost their lives in PA last night. Two others have serious injuries. The 18-wheeler driver whose path they crossed will likely have years of nightmares and PTSD.

:laughing: That’s what this breeze feels like right now. It’s now mostly sunny, the temperature has shot up to 33.4F/0.8C, but that breeze feels like a cold knife cutting through you. Humidity is currently at 44% and the BP is 29.73". But it does feel colder than when it’s only about 20F/-6.7C. Has to be the cold dry air.

Our highway seems to bring out all the bad, poor, new, “I can drive in that” (although they’ve never done so) types of drivers. And the shoulders and ditches fill right up with them. Of course many of them have tires that aren’t even road worthy in the summer. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: What really gets me is the number of people who go out under these conditions for things that could have waited until the roads are cleared and safe. I guess people don’t like to cancel their plans under any circumstances. And most of the time they drive too fast for the conditions. Sad what happens to some.

With blind U curves and S curves in PA, stupid drivers are just as apt to go flying off a cliff on one side, or into a hill on the other side, whether they hit oncoming traffic or not. I always wondered if settlers in the early 1810s thought it was funny to drive wagons around the edge of a cliff… but they knew their horses were smart enough to stop and stamp if there was danger, until the owner “backed em up” and tried again.

Do they make cars that stop and stamp yet?

It’s cold. It’s going to get colder. But it’s not going to be the coldest day or night.

@Jim7 Jim, Jim, Jim! Just saw on Facebook, they are calling for 60cm of SNOW in Yarker, Ontario… but with 80km winds. :frowning:

Yes! Now if they were getting 93 cm of snow, I might consider taking a run up there! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: The wind I could do without, although that’s not that bad (80 kph). Once it get over 97 kph/60 mph, then that’s really blowing - much too hard for kite flying. :grinning: Seriously though, those winds will be blowing and drifting that snow, packing it on the roads and blocking some of them. That is terrible on one’s eyes driving at night while trying to plow the road. Talk about eye strain! Been there, done that, hated it! That makes for very slow plowing (at night) because the drivers have a hard time seeing where the road is supposed to be. I’ve seen (and did it myself) where “new roads” were made by going off the road and plowing into a field. One heck of a detour! :rofl:

I haven’t heard any updated forecast since the last one posted above. Had to go visit the girls and bring my daughter’s dog down to our house. She (my daughter, not the dog) is having dinner with us… again. Starting to become something of regular occurrence. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Beats eating alone with 2 cats and a dog. :grinning:

All the shovels are at ready… one for each hand and one for tying to my waist! :laughing: Now if I can figure out a way to balance a bucket of calcium chloride on my head with some sort of shaker system, I should be able to breeze through my driveway and the three sidewalks. :thinking:

We didn’t get much reprieve from the Extreme Cold …as we are back in the Warnings…
currently -32 C -45 WC (-49 F) Winds SW 19 kph (12 mph) . Frostbite in minutes. Almost mid February and we are still in early January type weather. More records will be broken.

It seems as soon as we get to that day when the warm up is “suppose to happen”…the temperatures change…:unamused::unamused::unamused:

Our temperatures are comparable to Vostok, Antarctica station :roll_eyes:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/aq/vostok-station/2273742/weather-forecast/2273742

Put it in a perforated bucket and hang it round your neck :wink: :laughing: