2019 Feb - Crabeater Seal Campaign Posted

Hello loyal Nodders,
At long last, this campaign has been posted! This time around, we are searching a slightly different ice environment in search of a different type of seal: the Crabeater seal.

Here is the link: https://www.tomnod.com/campaign/campaign_2969/

This research is made possible by new funding that was awarded because of the success of our previous work in Antarctica - so thank you to all who participated before and will participate again. Your work is making research that was never possible before… possible!

This campaign has 71,891 polygons on 63 images in the Weddell Sea. This is a place you’ve been before, but we are focusing on a different type of ice to differentiate the seals.

Thank you!

Will try, but I swore I was going to get through the wildfire, but life intrudes… but I will work on this as relief, eyes crossed or not… Anyway I’m 20% through the WW… and moving faster when I have time.
I will have to get used to this search… the Weddells were too much!.. Glad to see something that suits the others… and welcome back…

Yay :grinning: ! And thanks for leaving up Maria. We’ll get there little bit little,

This looks like me after it snows… happy and content. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
(photo from the campaign’s description page)

And after eating ice cream, I assume? :smile:

I just picked up 3 half-gallons from the ice cream parlor! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I got Colombian Coffee, Cherry Vanilla and Mint Chip (chocolate chip). A customer ahead of me looked at the 3 boxes and then at me. So I said, “Now I’m ready for the snow storm.” He laughed. :wink:

I have a hard time eating “ice cream” of any kind in our freezing temperatures!!! Most of the ice cream locations (other than DQ) close for the winter.

Grin%20roll

Can’t go to bed until I’ve found at least one seal glasses_girl

I haven’t found any seals yet either… or penguins. :laughing:

Don’t worry, I’m sure we will :wink:

Reading the info earlier got me wondering how many Crabeaters we’ve tagged already over the years :laughing:

Hmm, could this be a possible first…:thinking:

(https://www.tomnod.com/campaign/campaign_2969/question/17252)

I’m never satisfied, despite the examples, until I’ve found my own possible sightings for reference :confused:
Though it’s probably a Weddell :laughing: :roll_eyes:

Two. :neutral_face: Nah… probably lots of them. And here I thought I was tagging baby Weddell seals all that time. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Neither I’m afraid… unless they grow to nearly 40’/12 metres long. It’s a shadow. When I zoomed in a couple of power, I could see the mound to above and to the left of it. The shadows are below and a little to the right all the “bumps in the snow”. Keep on trying, Em … and stay awake until you do find one. (But here’s a little hint: I zoomed out a little and traveled all around this map, zooming in at times to check out possibilities, and didn’t see any seals. But that doesn’t necessarily mean there aren’t any. It just means I didn’t go through the entire map with a fine tooth comb so to speak. Still, I’m going to finish the map regardless… being tenacious as I am. :smile:

Oh heck…you’re right image I forgot about that bit…I’m out of practice :roll_eyes:

Okay, I’m cracking the whip now! Get with the program/programme! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:roll_eyes: You and that whip…put it down and get on with the programme :laughing:

The trouble with spotting these Crabeaters is that they’re about 2ft shorter than the Weddells :grimacing:
Might need stronger binoculars :dizzy_face:

Yep, I’ve been doing that too, looking for possibles, but not spent a lot of time on it. My target was a 100 or a seal before I go to bed but I’m already on 116 and still here, but I’m tired so think I’ll call it a night and come back to it in the morning with fresh eyes :wink:

Hook up to your wall-to-wall, super big screen TV and reduce the strain on your eyes. :thinking: Oh, but then you’ll probably get neck cramps from looking side to side and up and down on that big screen. :roll_eyes:

I’ve managed 132 on this campaign, plus almost 100 tiles on H. Maria, plus eating dinner, plus going outside and watching the snow fall. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I told my wife I love to hear that sound. She said, “What sound?” I said, “You don’t hear that?” (I get a puzzled look from her.) I said, “The sound of falling snow!” :smile: She shook her head and as she walked back inside she told me I better start getting more sleep. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

OK, I’ll take all the black tiles and no seal tiles. :rofl: I won’t mind whatsoever! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You all focus on the ice floes and rough ice— I can’t tell on those!
:confused::upside_down_face::astonished::frowning_face::roll_eyes::thinking::disappointed_relieved::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head: