2019 Hobbies and Interests - Photography

2019 Hobbies and Interests - Photography

Jan 1st bumping up this thread

I’m obsessed…so different from where I live and love being in the trees, the fresh snow, the creek, the falls, etc.

Beautiful photo! Reminds me of my hunting days crossing brooks like this - and always admiring the beauty of them. Now you’re making me want to go traversing the country side doing this again, but taking photos… almost. :smile: Another photo that would look great for a winter month on a calendar. (Hint, hint.) :wink:

Here are the winners of the Wikipedia Loves Earth Photography Competition. Breathtaking images :heart_eyes:

Stunning photos from all over the world!

This was 2017 Wikimedia Commons Picture Of the Year:
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year

:laughing::grin: It is only natural to anthropomorphize. Add your picture caption here!

“If I can just reach my cellphone without waking her up…” :smiley:

I think I’m going to have to buy a new camera. I still can’t get the back to open up since one of the girls dropped it on one corner onto the stone tiles at my son’s house. It has a small dent which seems to have pushed the aluminum against the locking mechanism, preventing it from unlocking. I’ve tried applying counter pressure again the outer shell (in the corner) while sliding the lock button back and trying to lift the back. No joy no matter how I try. I can still use it for now, but there’s no way to swap out the battery if it dies while taking photos/videos. I will eventually need a new camera… checking… checking… :wink:

Any camera places that could tell you if it is a quick (inexpensive) fix? May be worth it. There are lots of DIY fix videos depending on your camera brand etc.

My original idea was to gently pry it open and - using a small punch and small mallet - knocking the dent back out and reforming the corner. But the corner has been pushed so tightly against the edge of the compartment door I can’t even get the smallest jeweler screwdriver between them. Beside, it gives me an excuse to buy a new (and better) camera. :shushing_face: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Special photography captures old falcon!!!

At first I thought Discourse was having trouble loading the photo. Then I inadvertently moved the mouse over the photo and it came up - the “old falcon” in the tree. Moving the mouse off the photo reverts it back to the colorful blur. :thinking: Poor old car! :rofl:

If you try clicking the image for the true image it is clear… the one displayed is a toned down version…

Oh yes! Much better. That old Falcon jumped so hard it jumped right out of its back tires! :rofl:

I had used the blur tool so users could have a little surprise! haha

You can do that with a little code also. :wink: I’ll have to hunt up where I put that list of codes and what each one does: blur, enlarge, shrink, flip, rotate, and there were a few other things as well. Great for websites with images!

It’s right under the little wrenchy-thing, says blur spoiler.

The code in this forum is […spoiler] before the image (no leading dots) and [/spoiler] at the end of the image…

Oh yeah! Hiding behind the sprocket! I don’t think I’ve clicked on that sprocket in well over a year! :roll_eyes:

Edit: I think I’m going to take 5 minutes before going to bed and count the number of polka dot bathing suits in that “Where’s Mel” image. :rofl: Good night! :rofl:

A few photos from near our river. The river divides Saskatoon East and West. The river, in the city, never freezes over completely because of the Queen Elizabeth Power Station on the south side of the city. When it gets cold…lots of frost and ice fog. A cold walk over the train bridge that spans the river.

Beautiful scenes. But I’m guessing it’s too cold to go out in search of wildlife? :cold_face:
One thing I’ve noticed about the Hudson River where it flows past me is that last week it was frozen - even with the tide moving back and forth - until a cargo ship or a tug pushing a large barge goes by. Is that loud as the ice breaks and scrapes down the sides! Crunch, bump, bang, scraaaapppeee! For a short time I can see a black “path” in the ice but it fairly quickly fills in. Then the same scenario repeats with the next vessel coming through. However, in the past two days, there’s been less ice on the river itself as I watch it flowing back and forth with the tides. There is still a lot of ice built up on the wave break separating the river channel from the protected marina area, and on the bank of the island. But with this warm weather and all the rain we’ve had, there is hardly any ice at all and the river is a muddy light brown. A little ice remains along the shore of the island but it doesn’t extend out in the river proper very much.

Still waiting on word about a calendar. :thinking: :grinning: