2019 Hobbies and Interests - Webmaking

I did that once… sat watching the paint dry. When Donna came in and asked me what I was doing, she wasn’t impressed with me telling her I was watching the paint dry. She told me to start on the next room. Geez… In the winter I tell her I’m sitting on the porch watching the snow melt. That doesn’t go over too well either for some reason. :confused:

5 Likes

You could always take the hair dryer to it…that should speed it up a bit for you :rofl:

5 Likes

It has to melt slooowly! If it melts fast I have no excuse to sit outside… and do nothing! :wink: :laughing:
See? I stayed on topic. This is in line with what @cageycat posted with watching the paint dry. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I’m at a workshop this week to learn R programming. I’m excited to be able to catch up with what many colleagues already know, but it is drinking from a fire hose :: drinking from firehose emoji ::
The last time I took a formal class/training/workshop was 2010. The last time I was in a programming class was in 1992 for FORTRAN.
:astonished:
I am currently brain dead for the rest of the evening. Two more days of mental weightlifting. :brain::muscle::abacus::computer:
I spent way too much time looking for those emojis. :grin:

4 Likes

I think that’s actually fun… to watch others try. One thing to remember, you have to turn your head :upside_down_face:.

The last time I took a coding course, the next night I’d have to go back through nearly everything I did the previous night - to “refresh” my memory - before I could continue with the next lesson. It seems like my brain was a sponge and someone kept on squeezing out all the cool stuff I had in there. :anguished:
I know it can’t be my memory is failing because just tonight our daughter stopped by on her way home from work. I spoke to her on the porch and she told me several things to repeat to her mother. She left and my wife came out - not too pleased that I didn’t let her know our daughter was there. When I started to tell her what my daughter said, it came out like, “Some woman’s daughter did this… I can’t remember who the woman was or her daughter’s name. Oh! And someone else’s daughter, who married a guy from down this way, did something that made everyone laugh. I can’t remember what the girl’s name is or who she married from down this way though.” This went on for several minutes before my wife just put her hands up and said, “Enough! I’ll go inside and call Fran!” What’d I say? :confused:

4 Likes

I’m working on validating the migration-biographies folder. It has 4 sub-folders with several loose pages, and each of those sub-folders have 7 sub-sub folders… with many pages in each one. Ugh.

Can only use one ID per page, but some pages have 2 tables that would use the same ID. cry Hate fixing issues like that.

5 Likes

My daughter knows that stuff – don’t ask me how! Think she was learning Python and C++.

See MIT

Is this the “R” you mean?

https://www.edx.org/course?search_query=R+

Gonna ask— What is R??? What are R???

4 Likes

Like standing parallel to hurricane wind instead of forward-facing it ?
:wind_face::dash::dash::dash::dash::dash::dash:
The end results aren’t too different. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Without giving much thought to it, I started to ask if that was Ruby on Rails, but then decided it wasn’t. I ran a BING search on “R computer language” and came up with a lot of results - one of which named the two people who developed the language (both first names begin with “R” :laughing:). I imagine in Kate’s situation, it is being used for statistics and graphical work. It can also be used as a programming language.
The best link I found within the first 20 seconds was:
https://cran.r-project.org/manuals.html
This has a list of manuals that can be downloaded as PDF or EPUB, or can be viewed directly as HTML.
These were written for Debian Linux and as they say, may differ from manuals written for Mac or Windows. They also have 3 versions: the latest release, patched, and one in development.

4 Likes

Hope that one was for FORTRAN 77 at least… I took some FORTRAN in the late 60’s and very early 70’s… by the 80’s it was up to FORTRAN IV at work… by the time I was allowed to do any programming there, it was just using the built in coding in DBase 3+, but I fixed a lot of mess ups in what I was provided to use… it was supposed to be completed, and tested… but when the time came, most of it was useless junk… the worst was the little notes that popped up saying “to be completed in the future” by the guy who billed them for and got paid for what he didn’t really do.

Amazing how so much of that went on back then… and now, I bet.

I see that R is a scientific computational language… probably the sort of thing that led to the now famous joke about “Pie R square… NOT! Anybody knows Pie are round…” :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Sure they are! If you stand facing a hurricane, both your cheeks will flap in the wind. If you stand parallel to it, just one check will be blown away from your mouth and flap in the “breeze.” :rofl: Sounds logical from my point of view. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Yes, that is the R I’m learning. It will allow me to manipulate data better than I can in Excel (kind of like @Jim7’s God Mode in Windows). I kind of envision being able to pick up pieces of my spreadsheet, shuffle and sort by hand and then place them back in the proper place. To give an example of something I could do better with R: I had a database of water chemistry for a large number of wells. Each row contained the well name in the first column, the name of the chemical analyzed in the second column and the results in the third column. This meant that each well had multiple rows of results. What I wanted was for each well to occupy 1 row. The column headers would be the names of chemicals analysed with the results for each chemical concentration below the corresponding header. To throw a wrench in the matter, each well site had a different total number and type of chemicals. So I couldn’t simply pivot the table.
This is what I had in a sample spreadsheet of 7 rows, 3 columns:
Well 1 Chloride 16000 mg/L
Well 1 Sodium 9000 mg/L
Well 1 Calcium 99 mg/L
Well 1 Bicarbonate 500 mg/L
Well 2 Sodium 8500 mg/L
Well 2 Calcium 50 mg/L
Well 3 Arsenic 0.002 mg/L

This is what the end result should be in 3 rows of wells with five columns of chemistry results and
each column has a header; N/A means not available (sorry formatting is poor, you get the idea)
Well name, Chloride, Sodium, Calcium, Bicarbonate, Arsenic
Well 1, 16000, 9000, 99, 500, N/A
Well 2, N/A, 8500, 50, N/A, N/A
Well 3, N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A, 0.002

After I get the data displayed how I want it I can do statistical analyses, filters based on a given requirement (like return all wells with Arsenic > 0.005) and much, much, more.

Then: I can make nice graphs and figures (unlike the ugly plots in Excel) :grin:

As you might notice, I am really excited to be learning R. I will be freed from Excel with a better alternative. Now, I must get to sleep. Up at 5:30 am :scream:

4 Likes

Have about 50 pages left to fix and validate in the migrations sub-folders. My eyes glazed over after 2 states (done).

Why do :eyes: know first when you need a nap? Brain whispers to eyes, I think.

6 Likes

When the brain says, “I think…”, the eyes say, “I opened, I looked, I’m tired. :sleeping:” Eyes win out every time. :grinning:

5 Likes

I don’t know why I fight my :eyes:

6 Likes

Yeah, you’re outnumbered 2 to 1! :roll_eyes: :grinning:

6 Likes

Oh for the love of ‘b’ (bold tag)!

Just converted and validated a table page. It showed … wait for it… 743 errors!!!

The validator is odd. It will give all kinds of errors, then at the bottom, it says x started here.

So a b tag was opened at line 70. But I missed closing the tag. So that threw 742 errors below the original error, plus the line 70 error. Oh my gawd, gimme a break! Tried fixing some, then just removed all b open and b close tags. Got better things to do, ugh, on a page with over 3,000 lines.

6 Likes

I don’t think your cat nap was long enough. :smile_cat:

5 Likes

I don’t think so either.

Quiet forum tonight.

6 Likes

I still have these big ones to do:

1. maps-atlas - huge maps
  2. cemeteries – lots of tables
  3. census
  4. county-records
  5. county-taxes
  6. education e.g. schools, colleges
  7. done
  8. funeral homes
  9. (different county 2)
  10. (different county 3)
  11. marriages
  12. done
  13. done
  14. passports
  15. photos
  16. slavery
  17. (different county 4)

Newly completed and validated. Big jobs
7. (different county 1) ---------------val-d (little folder) - Friday Apr 5th
12. migrations -------------------------val-d - April 2nd
13. military (every US-involved war)--------val-d - April 6th (were all done, just needed validated)

6 Likes