2019 - Jan 1st to Jan 31st - Weather Reports and Descriptions

I think what you really, really need is a good dump of snow - about chest high. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: As long as it doesn’t rain and make the snow weigh 10 times as much, you’re all set for making an army of snowmen, snowladies, igloos, snow forts, etc… And you’ll probably have enough left over for a good old fashion snow ball fight. :laughing: Sounds good, right? All we seem to be getting here are “teasers” - less than knee high. :unamused:

Our high today reached 24F/-4C, but it was a beautiful sunny and clear day. Still clear with lots of stars at 8:35 PM and a temperature of 16F/-8C. Supposed to go down to 12F/-11C. Clouds are starting to move in. There’s some at 25,000 feet. More will start moving in toward midnight. Scouts for the snowstorm? :grin: Wait until @TerriB’s cold front moves across the pond to you. That should change your rain into snow. The only drawback would be it may be a little too cold to play outside for long. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I did notice that as the week progresses, you’re temperatures seem to be going up. Maybe they’ll get high enough that @Helen would have to leave the country to go on holiday! :laughing:

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: Never been in snow that deep before…hubby keeps promising to take me to Switzerland some day though :thinking:
‘…Knee high’ I wish; what we’re getting wouldn’t reach an ant’s knee . . . .do ant’s have knees :thinking:

Sure they do… they just face the sides instead of forward. Same for their ankles. Now, as for hips, I don’t think what they have would qualify as hips. I’ve never seen an ant do the hula dance. :thinking:

Looks like @EmeraldEyes is gonna have my weather. Minneapolis MN is supposed to be -50 windchill or lower.

They upped us from -40 to -25. I am cold! Furnace set at 74 for 75F just to keep pipes warmed in the back of the house. I’ll probably go to 76F (77F) on the bitterly cold Thurs & Friday.

Someone asked what I’ll do if we lose elec. (and furnace). I asked if she was going to come take me a mile up the road to a hotel. I knew the answer would be no. Why’d she ask! [Don’t worry. Small town. 1/2 block from fire hall. A few blocks from police dept. I’m sure one or the other would come and take me to a hotel if I have no heat.]

Polar Vortex… bah humbug!

Edit: Oh, btw, we’ll be back to 40s next week. Dizzy yet?

:smiley: Looks like we’re going from 2"-5" back up to 5"-8"/12-20 cm of snow starting late tomorrow afternoon and continuing some time until between 1 and 2 AM Wednesday morning. But look at those overnight temps (F)! Looks like we’ll also get about 4 days of above freezing temps before heading back below freezing. I think I better check my oil tank in the AM - just in case. Another $500+ to fill that again. :roll_eyes:

Mid Michigan had white out conditions!

Sorry Jim. LOL

Looks like it’s already in New York - and just getting east of Syracuse! It’s coming! :grin: And my location is right below where those pretty 2 yellow lines cross each other to the left and below the minus sign and above the right arrow. It’ll get here… it better! :neutral_face:

…hopefully that warms up before it gets there!!!

EDIT: 10:30 p.m. -23 C -32 WC (-25 F) Again under a Extreme Cold warnings as night temperatures drop with winds to -40 to -45 C (-40 to -49 F) cold cold cold…furnace working overtime!! :roll_eyes:

I have never thought much about the C vs. F scale in the negative numbers! :face_with_monocle::nerd_face:

Here’s another one for you then. At 1:15 AM I’m at 5F which is equal to -15C. :laughing: Luckily there is no wind blowing at the moment. (The calm before the storm. :shushing_face:)
Oh, and -23C = -9.5F. :wink:

7 am 16°F Dewpt.11°F Precip. 90% Chc Wind 13 wsw

A slight chance of snow showers before 7am, then scattered flurries between 7am and 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 18. Wind chill values as low as zero. Southwest wind 13 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

A slight chance of snow showers after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around -4. Wind chill values as low as -16. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

The beginning of this front is TORTURE if you have any old injuries and pain. Pain climbs off the chart very quickly! Misery. Been awake since 4am because of it. When will weather forecasts include pain related terms like

• throbbing
  • aching
  • crushing
  • stiffness
  • intense itching (part of neuropathy symptoms)

Oh, for holistic weather reporting LOL.

It’s currently 1C (34F) and snowing here, and yet I’ve no pain in my hip. But as soon as it starts raining later, yep, I’m gonna feel the pain…how weird is that :confused:

I know usually once we hit the equivalent of 40 we leave it at that!!!

-29 C -41 WC (same -41 F) and we only have a 16 kph (9 mph) wind…going to be a cold one!

EDIT: -31 C -43 WC (-45 F)

:snowflake::snowflake: I see the snow made it your way!!! Hopefully not the bitter cold!
You are still under a year from your surgery though…that may change.

Yes, the consultant said as much himself, and it’s only been 4 months. But it doesn’t seem to be bothered by the cold at all or the snow even, just the rain it doesn’t like. But it’s not enough to require pain relief so I’m not complaining…it’s all good :grin:

@TerriB I think you left the freezer door open again… woke up to -15C today… but it’s trying to get up to -3C for a high… otherwise much the same mixed cloud/sun… and more hovering around this week…
but things may change as the east coast starts to lose their side of the cold zone… Looks like @Jim7 is in for some snow again as it moves north and east… Now I need breakfast and hopefully it will be enough sun to loosen some ice…

We’ve had a fine snow drifting down since about 10 AM. By 12 noon it was a fine snow, but by 1 PM a light snow. It will be picking up within the next 30-60 minutes. Schools started having early dismissal since 12:25 AM for the older kids… 1:40 for the younger ones. We’re going to have to run up to the school bus stop to get the girls so the nanny won’t have to bring Brianna (1-yr old) out. Got to get ready to head out.
Oh, and now they say we can get up to 6"/15cm. (I wish they had had stuck a “1” or “2” in front of that number (in inches). :roll_eyes:

I might just have another trip or two planned already… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::thinking:

They’re even threatening us with snow tonight, and possibly some more on Thursday…
…it seems to vary depending on which site’s weather forecast I look at.

I get similar pains in most of my joints, and I’ve not had surgery on vast majority of those! Cold and damp is about the worst for me, as it has been for most of the last week.

Beer slushy anyone?

Barometer: 29.84 inHg. rising

Humidity: 64%

Wind: SW. 18mph

Wind Gust: 20mph

Wind Chill: -2°F

Dew Point: 5°F / -15°C steady

Visibility: 9.00mi.

Sunrise: 7:36 AM

Sunset: 5:33 PM

Moon Phase: Waning Crescent Moon

A chance of snow showers. Patchy blowing snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -6. Wind chill values as low as -15. West wind around 16 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

WeDNESDAY
A slight chance of snow showers before 1pm. Patchy blowing snow before 3pm. Partly sunny and cold, with a temperature falling to around -7 by 1pm. Wind chill values as low as -32. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Got the bay window covered. Plastic is pushing into room (mind you, the outside plastic came off).

Every time I get up, my feet with socks takes a hour to warm up again.

Where is Spring?