2019 - Jan 1st to Jan 31st - Weather Reports and Descriptions

That’s about how much snow we got last night! Black ice was much more of a problem, just before it snowed, it was raining heavily…

Some of our forecasts are predicting more snow for Thursday evening, others are threatening us with less snow, and just more freezing rain.

The freezing rain you can do without. What you need is a good 60-70 cm of snow. That should wake up the holiday bug from hibernation. (They do go back into hibernation rather quickly!) :laughing:

When I go to Iceland, yes… not necessary here though!

Too late for that, :beetle: it’s already woken up and planning for the next holiday! :upside_down_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I’m seriously beginning to think that when you get tired of sitting there nodding, you pack up and go on holiday… return and do some more nodding… go back on holiday… over and over. Sound close? :roll_eyes:

Yup…Brandon Manitoba got out weather…

You’re not far off! I do find time to fit a little work into my busy schedule as well… and, depending on where I go (i.e. whether there’s a reliable internet signal or not) I have been known to “nod” while I’m on holiday…:rofl:

Too cold, Terri! Stay warm…

That’s enough to make a volcano shiver! :thinking: :smiley:

-5°F -21°c

Barometer : 30.16 inHg. rising

Humidity : 50%

Wind : SW. 13mph

Wind Gust : 15mph

Wind Chill : -24°F

Dew Point : -19°F falling

Visibility : 10.00mi.

Sunrise : 7:34 AM

Sunset : 5:36 PM

Moon Phase : Waning Crescent Moon

Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around -11. Wind chill values as low as -26. West wind 10 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.

Thurs
Sunny and cold, with a high near 6. Wind chill values as low as -23. Southwest wind 9 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.

My furnace is not putting out to 74F now. Guess it is getting cold, too. Hovering at 70F though.

It’s a shame you couldn’t wrap a blanket around it to help it. Keep warm, Cagey.

We’re down to 5F/-15C already. Now they’re saying out overnight low will be -5F/-20C and with wind chill from -10F to -25F, making the -5 feel like -15F to -30F (-26C to -34C). Right now the wind, as it blows through the trees, sounds like the wheels on a passenger train… just a loud rolling sound… then the snow starts blowing all over the place! Winds are still between 20-30 mph/32-48 kph with gusts as high as 50 mph/84 kph, making it brrrr cold (or so says my wife :cold_face:). :laughing:

About an hour ago I heard the Greene County Fire Dispatch set the tones off for the fire department on Hunter Mountain in Hunter, NY… for a structure fire! Not a good time for something like that! Those poor people who own the home! :worried:

Oh my, a fire. Poor people… and the firefighters in these temps!

You should go out and stake those trees! Long ropes from the top branches, away from the house to stakes at the far property lines. I’m sure the squirrels will help you run the ropes up. Of course, their bushy tails might turn them into flying squirrels, so they might tie those ropes around their waists, first! If acrobatic, they could just loop round and round top branches, right?

Did you know you can get brain frost, even if you stay inside?

:rofl::rofl::roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grimacing::star_struck: :rofl::rofl::roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grimacing::star_struck::rofl::rofl::roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grimacing::star_struck::rofl::rofl::roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grimacing::star_struck::rofl::rofl::roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grimacing::star_struck::rofl::rofl::roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grimacing::star_struck::rofl::rofl::roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grimacing::star_struck::rofl::rofl::roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grimacing::star_struck::rofl::rofl::roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grimacing::star_struck:

Those trees are up to 100’ tall! I’m not climbing up them… all 100+ of them! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: And not all of them are on my property. It’s just the wind I hear as it approaches and then goes by - just like a train. Beside that, the squirrels have long since retired for the night.

Is brain frost the same as brain freeze? :thinking: I did just have a big bowl of peppermint ice cream! My next will have to be a different flavor as I finished this box in 2 nights. :shushing_face:

I was just going to post something in the Tomnod Tavern and this is the message I got when I hit reply:

“:No more than 3 consecutive replies are allowed. Please edit your previous reply, or wait for someone to reply to you.”

I didn’t want to edit my last reply as I had already done so twice and the post was getting too long. Guess all of you will have to wait for a smile until someone else posts there and I can reply to it. Darned System “Big Brother!”

Edit: My wife just read to me about 15 homeless people were just found in Chicago… frozen to death. That is so sad. :anguished:

Oh my. Many more will likely be found. Too frigid, and too much distrust among homeless.

This makes me cry–

I wonder how many birds and animals will also secome to this cold also. I remember seeing a photo once of some wild turkeys who froze to death in the trees they were roosting in at night. One did fall to the ground and when the hunter looked up, he spotted the others - all dead and frozen. He did take a picture of them. I wish I could remember where I saw that. It was years ago.

Not the same story… but nice ending.

I said earlier that we never saw any snow today and things have been warming up… However… there is a back flow of some sort happening with the Vortex… and the Western side of it is starting to work it’w way to the west… pushing cold air down the coast near Prince Rupert in a day or so… Only a little bit is supposed to spill over our local mountains from Alberta… so Monday we should daytime around -17C…
but… that will last a few days till it moves on… Sunday looks for up to 10cm of snow (4")… with smaller amounts the day before and after… say 20cm or so total snow for the 4 or 5 days spanning the weekend. Not like Jim, but about the same as the previous whole of the local winter… ha.

Now I’m going to shut down and get some sleep.

OMG it is cold!

-3°F -19°c
Windchill minus 24F oh my tingling tootsies

It’s so cold. How in the world do you manage frigid temps, @TerriB ?

Whiskey? :woozy_face: :laughing:

Apparently that report is actually false Jim and originated from someone on Twitter:

And reading through the tweets replies, people from Chicago are seriously not happy with this guy who reported it :grimacing:

Bless all the cats, dogs, and people trying to survive this cold without good shelters.

Reminder to check under cars, wheel-wells, and under hoods where cats sleep to get some break from the wind.

SO looking forward to Friday. My upper chest is hurting again. :frowning: