2019 - Jan 1st to Jan 31st - Weather Reports and Descriptions

Here’s my snow forecast for the remainder of this week and next week. Note that next Thursday (not shown) is identical to next Wednesday (1-3"/2.5-7,6 cm)! The snow starts off with a little “teaser” of about 1"/2.5 cm). They’re not sure of the amount on Thursday - probably another “teaser”, but then the fun begins on Wednesday and Thursday. The only thing I don’t like about Thursday is the “wintry mix” - snow/sleet/freezing rain mixed. Makes for heavy wet snow. Guess I’ll be shoveling before the change over. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Some are getting snow, rain, sun…we…are in the deep freeze…-22 C -30 WC (-22 F) ,again!

I believe it was only a week or so ago I was saying “…we are never quite so warm this time of year”…I must have jinxed it…as the deep freeze will be here for the week! :disappointed::disappointed::disappointed::cold_face::cold_face::cold_face:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: How does she think we feel :rofl:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Aw you got me sussed now Doug…and I’m the quiet one of 8, it’s a hoot at family gatherings :wink: :rofl:

And here’s our snowcast :unamused: such as it is, just another muddy sludge no doubt :roll_eyes:

I’ll tell you what. When I’m done with the snow here, I’ll send some over to you via the North Atlantic Express (NA-Ex). :laughing:

Not me… you told me… I was just using initials… discretely… and never ever engage in SUSSing with casual friends… online… mostly.

At 12 noon - just like someone threw a switch - the sun came out and the temperature shot up to 40.6F/4.8C! Again - like turning off a switch - the clouds were back and the temperature started dropping rapidly. I took a peak at the weather radar and low and behold… snow on its way! Should be here by 2:30 PM according to the updated forecast… but flurries starting already at 2:00 PM. Only supposed to be an inch/2.5 cm. Then more late tonight and up to 8 AM tomorrow. The good drop starts around 8 PM Saturday until 4 PM Sunday - 13-20"/33-50 cm! Now that’s the stuff! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Haven’t had time to look very much, but it does seem that we are due some snowfall starting later today and tomorrow… and more on the weekend… but no much… again I’m suspicious with those west coast storms about… just matters where the warm and cold meet up.

Running late today, another water pipe leak in the furnace room across the hall, but instead of patches they need to start wholesale replacement of the pipes… sooner or later… doing it later might be far more expensive… compared to doing it in larger blocks… right now that section of pipe has short repair sections of 1.5 inch copper pipe joined by several elbows and repair couplings… ranging from 45 to 65 bucks each… and most of those will have to be cut away to replace the remaining 15 to 20 feet of pipe… wasting the work the other day, since the system is swaged on, one time use fittings… faster, but the guy doing the work usually trashes at least one join… and then has to cut out all the stuff he just did and add pipe bits to re do it…
NOT his fault… the previous work was done with thinner wall pipe that was soldered… and could be undone…
Now that pipe is rotten and so thin, the crimping tool tends to crush it… needs to be heavier duty and bigger sections…

He could have had the pipes exposed last time and done it all in one trip with about the same number of fittings as one of the two repairs… without the big replacement… so again ’ Whether or Not’ is the question.

Looks like they’ve upped our expected snowfall! Now they’re saying for Sat & Sun we getting between 16-24"/40.6-61 cm… and another 1-3"/2.5-7.6 cm on next Wednesday… and another 5-8"/12.7-20 cm on next Thursday! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: So far today nothing but flurries. :unamused: But there’s still a chance of a little something up until 6:15 PM and then again after 10 PM. Hoping… Hoping… Hoping. :laughing:
Shovels are at the ready except for wiping a little silicon lubricant on them to keep the snow from sticking. WD-40 also works, but I’ve also tried some old floor wax my wife hasn’t used in years. (I confiscated the bottle a few years ago to coat the inside of the snowblower chute and hopper. :shushing_face: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: ) I’ve also refilled my dispensers (shaker containers) with a mixture of calcium chloride and rock salt (which I use sparingly and only when absolutely necessary). The new bag I just bought has a blue dye added to it - supposedly it’s an “indicator”… whatever that means. Not sure if it’s just to show where you’re spread it on the ice or what. I could go back down to my workshop to read the entire bag to see, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. :grinning:
Come on snow!

if the snow would just reach the ground!

Not necessary here…very rare we get any kind of “sticky” snow…dry dry dry.

I just used a fine gravel and salt mix, as the surface has been so icy since the freezing rain. Hopefully that keeps me “upright” on the driveway and sidewalk!!! :wink:

So far I only received 0.1"/2.5 mm. Most of it has melted as soon as it hit - it’s 35F/2C. Now at 5:55 PM it’s mixed with a little drizzle I can hear hitting the leaves. For now it’s just going to be a tease. My wife just told me the meteorologist for one of our local TV stations said now we could get 24"/61 cm just on Sunday! Woo-hoo! That, combined with the 8-12"/20-30 cm on Saturday should make things a little white! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And then next week’s snow? Yes! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s crazy snow!!!

Yes, heard something similar on the tv forecast for tomorrow for us, should be cleared up and the sun out by afternoon sometime. So a bit of slush in the morn for the sun to dry up later on basically :roll_eyes:

Aw, you guys get all the fun snow :unamused: :disappointed:

Rain! :cloud_with_rain: :cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain:

The reservoirs are collecting water for summer use :grin:
Note: the radar image “cuts off” where you see the western edge of the storm. There is really a lot more on the way!

Here’s a better image:

Is that the giant storm that was swirling around in the north Pacific 2 days ago? I posted a link to that in post #92. This looks like it’s stretched from Alaska down to lower California - just the way they described that storm I mentioned. Yup! You’re going to get wet!

Big storm @Kateg…hope it fills the reservoirs. I think there is another storm coming up through Texas for Friday/Saturday and a storm moving through Portland to Vancouver area.

Are mudslides more of an issue since the big fire last year, or is it always an issue when it rains this much?

-18 C -27 WC (-16 F) Winds N18 kph.

Most of northern Canada has been in an Extreme Cold warning this week. Base temps -40 C WC -50 (-58 F) …that is :cold_face::cold_face::cold_face: square tire cold!