2019 - Jan 1st to Jan 31st - Weather Reports and Descriptions

Wish we could have some of your low temps. Today is about the coolest we’ve had so far this winter at -1C.

No snow forecast until the middle of next week and that’s just a couple of cm.
Too cold to sail; too warm to ski; no Tomnod campaigns. Might as well hibernate.

Doug, Do you remember years ago when some tires would “thump” as you went down the road after first starting off on those very cold mornings? They thumped until the rubber warmed up. Was it just certain tires or just the tread design that made that happen? I remember my mother-in-law giving me a ride to a reservoir in the early morning as she headed to work and the tires would thump until after we traveled a few miles. This was up in a hill town where it got cold.

All those bands of snow yesterday and last night just teased me. Most of the snow blew away and the rest either evaporated before hitting the ground or - earlier in the day - turned to drizzle. A whopping 0.1"/2,5 mm was all we received. From 11 PM tonight until 4 AM Friday we’ll get another 1"/2.5 cm. Waiting for the bigger storm this weekend. From Sat. around 5:30 to 6 PM and running into Sunday afternoon is when we get our first decent drop - 20"-24+"/50-60+ cm! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It will become windy on Sunday with gusts up to 30 mph/48 kph. Now that should blow some snow around and make drifts. I’ll have to see if I can make some snowmen for the granddaughters before the snow crusts over… but I’m not promising anything. The wife’s been overworking me around the house and I’m sore and achy already.

The river actually froze the other night and looked so nice - until a ship came up through and left a wide black line through it. After that were barges/tugs up and down until the solid ice became low “ice bergs” and patches of ice. Now I watch the ice flows as they go down and come back up with the tide.

Last night it was mostly clear and it went down to 9F/-12.8C. Currently at 11:50 AM it’s up to 21F/-6C, but with the sun shining brightly and light winds, it’s going to be a good day. High is expected to be 25F/-3.9C.

And a big hello to you @Thistle!

Yep! I can remember that… I’m pretty sure it was only the BIAS Ply tires… they had thicker sidewalls and often were made of less flexible rubber compounds… etc… early bias ply tires with steel beltings tended to exaggerate the stiffness until they flexed a bit as well… Radial ply tires are softer and better made… but don’t survive being flat as well… but that is only an opinion… Worst was having a flat on a car then inflating the tire and the flat spot was still there… which was an extreme example of thumping until you gave it some time to expand and keep filling up… they also tended to flat and really thump then… until you stopped or it softened or you rolled over / hit something. (bias ply that is)

My tire alarm went off several times during the cold…I think just the cold…no significant diff in PSI…but checked anyways!

We have now been added to the “Extreme cold Warning”…oh yeah! Do I sound excited???:open_mouth::open_mouth:
:rofl: I’m sure tomorrow morning I will not be impressed if my tires go thump thump and that darn tire alarm goes off again!!! :scream:

3:18 PM CST Thursday 17 January 2019
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:

• City of Saskatoon

A period of very cold wind chills is expected.

Air temperatures near -30 combined with wind speeds of 10 to 15 km/h will lead to wind chill values of -40 to -45 on Thursday evening into Friday morning.

Some moderation is expected on Friday through the day as cloud cover increases and the ridge of high pressure moves off to the southeast.

Cover up. Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with wind chill.

Keep emergency supplies in your vehicle such as extra blankets and jumper cables.

If it’s too cold for you to stay outside, it’s too cold for your pet to stay outside.

Extreme cold warnings are issued when very cold temperatures or wind chill creates an elevated risk to health such as frost bite and hypothermia.

@Thistle I would take your weather instead!!!:cold_face::cold_face:

Those shovels did not get a “work out”…but maybe the next few days???

No they did not. Not even the broom! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: But I did spend 2-1/2 hours this afternoon raking leaves from along side the fence along the dead end street. Wind had blown a lot more leaves - the “late fallers” (how’s that for making up a word? :laughing:) - against the fence into a long high wedge. At the fence it was over knee high and tapered down to a few leaves high about 5’/1.5 metres out into the street. I didn’t want the snowplow to grab the leaves and deposit them onto the street coming down the hill, and then be plowed along and onto my front walk and driveway apron. Makes it hard to shovel snow covered leaves. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: And if they freeze, there’s no touching them with a shovel or even the plow on my son’s 4-wheeler. My wife thought I was nuts for bothering, but I’m saving myself a lot of aggravation and extra work. I even swept up the leaf debris along the curb (maple leaves and pine needles). Had to make 6 trips to the gully with that stuff. :roll_eyes: Hey! I just realized something… I did use one of the snow shovels to pick up that debris! So one of them did get a workout - sort of. :grinning: Guess I’ll use that one first seeing how it’s already “warmed up.” :rofl:

They were happy to come out of hibernation!!!

I agree, we pick up as many of the leaves as possible, as it makes for a mess once the snow flies, and causes more issues in the spring when everything is melting.

Shush! I can’t shovel and the man upstairs gets snooty about helping out. We’re getting at least a foot.

Employees in US NWS are working 7 days a week, with NO paychecks!

storms
https://www.weather.gov/

I’m starting to get disappointed. They actually had the audacity to lower our amount from 24+"/61_ cm down to 18+"/45+ cm for Saturday into Sunday! What the… They better not mess with my snow! :angry: But on a brighter note, I’m watching the first snow system making its way up to me. I’ve watched it from below the PA-NY border, moving up into NY, then as it makes its way toward me - every 15 miles or so. Of course I just have to let my wife know how its moving along. And the last time I said to her, “It’s moved from just east of Gilboa and Ashland and has now past them, and should be here in a couple of hours,” she yelled, “Will you stop?!” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I just checked again and it’s getting closer… closer… closer…! :rofl:

The Air Traffic Controllers union filed a suit against the government because of no pay. And the Transportation Security Agency is having its own share of problems as well - causing an hour or more in security lines at airports and even some checkpoints being closed because of a lack of employees showing up. There’s a whole list of industries, businesses and their employees that are affected by the shutdown and it’s trickle down effect. [edited]. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

That must be Grandpa Shark. In the first picture he doesn’t have his dentures in. In the second one he does. :rofl:

Edit: @ 12:40 AM I was just looking at the 10-day forecast and just realized what they had for the overnight low on Sunday night-Monday morning… -5F/-20C. Monday’s high will only be 4F/-15C and then it drops back down to -5F/-20C Monday night into Tuesday morning. That should keep my ice cream from melting! :laughing: Just realized I didn’t pay attention to what the winds will be so I don’t how much it will feel with the wind chill. Guess I won’t wear my moccasins outside… will have to wear my work boots. (I know… I retired 20 years ago, but they still fit me! :laughing:)

A fine snow began falling around 11:15 PM last night and is still falling - supposed to end around 3:45 AM. So far at 12:50 AM we’ve only received 0.3"/7.6 mm. At least it won’t melt - if it doesn’t blow away like the last time. :unamused:

You have waited through several storms now without snow on the ground. Hopefully today, light fluffy snow for you to use that shovel in waiting!

That Colorado low will hit Atlantic Canada by the weekend…they are expecting up to 73 cm (28 inches) of snow near Fredericton. They will be using their shovels (snowblowers)!!

Currently -30 C -38 WC (-36 F) Winds only N 8 kph …they are forecasting -42 WC (-43 F)…the word “cold” doesn’t even cover it.

“Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with wind chill”

Life in the north! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m rooting for you guys… was up at 5:30 am to do battle with some more snow… talked to on guy who said they were talking close to 6" / 15cm… but by my estimates our lot was just a little over 4" /10 cm for the 24 hours…
But I can believe that there might be a lot of drifting going on… increasing some places, reducing others as it moves around… supposed to be warming up over the next few days, and more flurries locally and not much in the forecast at all this week… maybe one day with <1cm… I have to tune in and watch for melting to happen… the neighbour plowed in the ditch area again.

I just looked out the window and see that the plow guy pulled out most of the empty parking spots… that I hadn’t already pulled out earlier between the cars that were there… but he seems to have left some of the snow behind without more than pulling it out… I wonder where he put any of it… fingers crossed. on that.

Oh oh…hopefully not too much more. At least warming up on the horizon…I think we are in the deepfreeze until early next week. That polar vortex covers a lot of territory. It is helping to push that storm from the south over away from us, but I would like it to warm up soon…

Good the plow guy did some of the spots!

Arrrgh! Only enough snow to use the broom. :frowning_face: Only had 0.9"/2.3 cm by 3:50 AM when the town truck came down the hill salting.We’ve had flurries all morning, but that’s it. But here’s what they’re doing to my snow and notice the cooler temperatures finally arriving. Definitely won’t be wearing my moccasins out on Monday and Tuesday morning… or at all on Monday. :wink:

That’s no fun…:disappointed:…maybe during the cold spell…:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

It’s been flurrying all morning and at this moment the flakes are getting bigger. But I think Mother Nature is only being a tease. She’s toying with me for sure! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: As of 12 noon our grand total of snowfall was 1.0"/2.5 cm. My wife swept off the porch, steps and the walk out to the driveway. I’m leaving the rest - except for the front walk where the school kids walk up to the corner to catch the bus. Keeping it white as long as possible! :smiley:

Sentimental? Or hoping it will build up to “shovel” level?