2019 Jan 1st to June 30th - CageyCat Lounge

Warming up some catnip tea.

Had to call a plumber. Actually, he was supposed to come 2 weeks ago, but I got sick. So I thought I could handle being up for 30 minutes-- little did I know the hassle it would be! Lon story short, (and $85 lighter), my back hurts, my legs hurt, my nose is running, I’m coughing and fevered, and I never got the plastic up on the bay window (it blew off the outside so now I have to improvise before it becomes -7F). Kitchen’s freezing, furnace and toilet are working, and since when does a plumber service call cost $85.00 ??? What a rip.

You mean you didn’t get hit with the $35-$75 fee for them just showing up? Here’s an idea… once the repair has been completed, tell the serviceman you’re going to have to run a “systems check” on the repairs he just did - at a cost of $50 to him! Why not?

you’ve definitely had a poor winter this year. Having COPD myself I know what a chore it can be to get simple tasks done. Hang in there, Cagey. Perhaps an old fashioned steam tent over the tea kettle will help you get some of the phlegm out if you can’t take the Mucous Relief stuff. I will here impart to you my granddad’s cough remedy so it is not lost to time: 1/3 glass Four Roses whiskey, juice of 1 orange, 2 cinnamon sticks and 2 tablespoons honey. Fill glass to top with either ginger ale or seven up, or water as preferred. Sip till gone. Works wonders.

Are you sure that wasn’t 1/3 glass of ginger ale or seven-up and "fill to top with Four Roses whiskey? :woozy_face: :wink: Have you ever seen a drunk cat? I think their eyes go horizontal. :grin:

Don’t tell Cagey, I think she has trouble with her balance as it is.

And to think with 4 feet one would be able to tight-rope blind-folded. Maybe her back feet are tripping over her front feet? :smirk_cat:

I’m glad YOU said that. That way I can’t get in trouble.

Similar to the call-out fee charged by many plumbers on this side of the Pond… £50-£80 ($64-$103) as a minimum. Methinks I’m in the wrong job… :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I look after a number of rental properties and try to do as much of the work myself as I possibly can. My heart sinks when there is plumbing work to be done because there’s no such thing as a simple plumbing job. Plumbing systems have changed over the years with, apparently, little thought being given to how to connect between lead, steel, imperial copper, metric copper and, now, various plastic systems. DIY is possible but you have to be prepared to fight the way through the system so it can, sometimes, be worth biting the bullet and paying up.

Very true. I had a complete refit done of my house’s main bathroom a few years ago - I think we had at least one example of each of the metric and imperial copper and plastic systems, plus a whole array of adapters. I opted to get my builder to strip everything back to the bare walls, and refit with as much in the same standard as possible. Took longer and cost more, but worth it in a decade or so when I next go mad and put a new bathroom in! :wink:

I know what you mean. When we had our addition built, the contractor used a semi-flexible plastic roll of tubing for the hot water baseboard heaters, as well as the feeds to the toilet, shower and sink. They have a compression fitting on the ends, but you need a special tool for that due to the size of the plastic tubing. Of course, I do not have that! And it wasn’t until I found out I had to replace one of the two outside frost-free spigots for the garden hoses that there are no water shutoff valves for either spigot! What? I have to shut off the water for the entire addition to change a washer in the frost-free spigot? I’m going to find someone who has this tool and ask if I can borrow it. Then I’m installing shutoffs for both those spigots. Talk about cutting corners! Jeez! :unamused:

Optimist! The standards will have changed again: different solder, different screw threads, different pipe diameters, different pipe wall thicknesses, … . Oh, and whatever bathroom suite you choose, it will be to a different standard from your new pipework. :confused:

That’s what will most likely happen!:laughing: Then every fitting will have to have an adapter!

Of course! Par for the course - why change something that works!?!

But at least I’ll be able to choose whether to replace ALL of the pipework again, or just get a load of adaptors for the new suite… :wink:

And don’t get me started on the woodworking skills of plumbers :frowning_face:. If they have to get under a floor, the floorboards are hacked up and dumped back down roughly with an assortment of unsuitable nails and/or screws :rage::rage::rage:. Wood butchers!

Another optimist if you think it will be just one adaptor per fitting!

That’s where I lucked out. As early as 14 years old I “helped” one of my uncles who was a plumber and a woodworker. When I turned 16 I worked with a carpenter who had to take a 2 family house and turn it into a 4-unit apartment - 2 on each floor. We did all of the demolition, plumbing, and finally the ceilings and walls. From that I think I learned awareness of what “should” be where and where it should not… and how to fix things without a “rip and tear” mentality. As far as I’m concerned, when I get done, you should not even know that I had been there. Isn’t that how it’s supposed to be? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yes, how it’s supposed to be. Sadly, not how it often is :rage:

The Gas-Man Cometh

Flanders and Swann

'Twas on a Monday morning
The Gas-Man came to call;
The gas tap wouldn’t turn - I wasn’t getting gas at all.
He tore out all the skirting boards
To try and find the main,
And I had to call a Carpenter to put them back again.
Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do!

'Twas on a Tuesday morning
The Carpenter came round;
He hammered and he chiselled and he said: ‘Look what I’ve found!
Your joists are full of dry-rot
But I’ll put it all to rights.’
Then he nailed right through a cable and out went all the lights.

'Twas on a Wednesday morning
The Electrician came;
He called me ‘Mr Sanderson’ (which isn’t quite my name).
He couldn’t reach the fuse box
Without standing on the bin
And his foot went through a window - so I called a Glazier in.

Twas on a Thursday morning
The Glazier came along,
With his blow-torch and his putty and his merry Glazier’s song;
He put another pane in -
It took no time at all -
But I had to get a Painter in to come and paint the wall.

'Twas on a Friday morning
The Painter made a start;
With undercoats and overcoats he painted every part,
Every nook and every cranny,
But I found when he was gone
He’d painted over the gas tap and I couldn’t turn it on!

On Saturday and Sunday they do no work at all:
So 'twas on a Monday morning that the Gas-Man came to call!

Songwriters: FLANDERS MICHAEL / SWANN DONALD IBRAHIM

The Gas-Man Cometh lyrics © MECHANICAL COPYRIGHT PROTECTION SOCIETY LTD

See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyeMFSzPgGc

That was rich! I read it to my wife and she smirked. She went through that - I guess from what she said - when she was growing up. Lot’s of repairmen in all different fields… all doing work in the same part of their basement. :grinning: I really liked that poem. It made me laugh and I’m still chuckling. :laughing: