2019 Jan to Mar - Animal, Birds & Insects

Thought we could add insects now since many seem to be migrating with the changing climate, and due to the fact that some insects are becoming scarce while others are proliferating.

bumping this up to the 2019 topic list

I’ve often spoke about this one particular doe and her late fawn that has been frequenting the area - both at my son’s house and my own. This morning at 7:30 AM as I was preparing to go to my son’s house, as I opened the kitchen door there was that doe with her late fawn. But… she had two additional late fawns with her! I think over the past day or so she acquired a couple of orphaned fawns. I know that during deer season (hunting), some hunters get deer management permits which allows them to harvest a doe in addition to a buck. Looks like these two fawns lost their mothers this big game season.
Anyway, when I opened the door and then the storm door, the doe looked up at me - all four were beneath the large pine tree in my front yard - and stared. I spoke softly to her, telling her I had to come down the stairs (about 6 feet/2 metres or less) to leave. After about 30 seconds she turned and walked a few yards/metres across the front lawn and stopped until the fawns started to follow. Once they got to the corner of my yard and walked out onto the dead-end street, I went out onto the porch. The doe stood in the intersection watching me. I told her I had to walk up toward her (because my wife had our vehicle and I told her I would walk up (10 minute walk)). She took a couple of steps and the fawns all started walking up my neighbor’s side lawn. Then I walked up the street from my house. I got to within 20 feet/~6 metres of the doe and she stood her ground. I said goodbye and good luck with her two new charges and continued up the hill. The deer cut through the strip of woods between the backyards of two streets and headed toward the cemetery - which they can either turn right and head through the woods toward my son’s house or continue through the cemetery and down the hill to the Hannacroix Creek. I think all that rain last night made their “nightly” rounds later than usual - by about 6-8 hours. :neutral_face:

re: Killer whale death

Just sad. Plastics in oceans. Navies using underwater noise-makers. Oceans warming. Plus the illegal whaling that was going on in protected waters. Earth has become a very harsh environment.

TheAtlantic.com has a daily photo gallery newsletter. This was their gallery on January 2. Make sure to look at #13!

Thanks for posting @Kateg those are amazing photos! #13 looks like they are formed like a bird…we have starlings but very few…we don’t see them like this! Thank you!

And the oil industry was just given permission to use sonic blasters in the Atlantic Ocean off our east coast! We’ve been fighting this for quite some time. Scientists have found that many of the beached whales in the past few years have blood in their inner ears - an apparent result of the sonic blasts. The whales - it seems - are beaching themselves in an attempt to get away from the harmful sonic blasts. But as they always say, “It’s all about the almighty dollar.” :unamused:

Once in a while I do get to see a large “collection” of these birds, but not near this great number. They have put on a show of sorts, but not to this degree. Maybe they’re waiting for their numbers to increase? All I know is that those starlings that do land to raid the bird feeders and clear the area of every bug they can find are always fighting among themselves. I always joked it was sibling rivalry. :laughing:

Edit: Forgot to mention the red-tailed hawks that have been “visiting” both at my son’s house and mine. Two days ago a red-tailed hawk landed in the maple tree in front of the bay window of my son’s house, sitting on the branch just above the suet cake cage. It stayed there for quite some time before flying across the street and landing in a pine tree. A few minutes later it finally took off… heading northeast in the direction of my house! Is this hawk following me? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yesterday morning a bluejay was loudly and continuously giving a warning cry - for about 1-1/2 minutes. He was sitting in a young butternut tree that started growing in the privet hedges running up to the carriage house. (Thank you squirrels for burying that nut an forgetting about it!) Just as the bluejay finally flew off, a red-tailed hawk swooped down and landed on a lower limb of the big pine tree in my front yard. It sat there for a bit just looking around. Then it flew across my driveway and landed in a tree along the edge of it. It remained there for a good five minutes, alternating between looking around and preening its feathers. It finally took off and headed … wait for it … in the direction of my son’s house! :rofl:

:heart_eyes: Oh wow, those images bring back memories of sitting on top of a boat in early evening on the Norfolk Broads watching the Starlings on a warm sunny evening sigh2 Truly mesmerising watching them flying around like that, quite relaxing, hypnotic even :dizzy_face:

EDIT:

Fisheries Department looking into moving the seals back to the water, as it is illegal for anyone else to touch them…

Just heard on the scanner… “Church (Street) and (Route) 143… car versus deer.” I hope it wasn’t that doe with the 3 late fawns! Or even “Spike” - the buck whom we’ve watched grow up from a little fawn… along with his twin sister. :hushed: Oh yeah… and I hope the person/people in the car are alright. :wink: Church Street is on the other side of the hill from me. Not a stone’s throw, but I bet I can still hit a baseball that far… given enough tries. :smile: Aw… I’d probably throw my shoulder out, wrench my arm and then I wouldn’t be able to use the mouse. Maybe it’s best if I just stick to nodding. :upside_down_face:

I hope not the doe and the fawns???:open_mouth:
( If so, is there wildlife rescue for the fawns???)

There is, but if the fawns didn’t stay around they’re on their own. If it was that particular doe, hopefully that other doe that shows up with them every few nights will take the three in. It’s a possibility that the deer that was hit could have been that doe (without the late fawns). Or… it could also have been a buck that has lost his antlers already. If so, I hope it wasn’t “Spike.” We’ve watched him grown from a feisty fawn to a spike horn (his first year) to a 5-pointer, to a 7 pointer to a 10-pointer. We’ll have to wait and see.

Another “surrogate mother”! :heart_eyes:
I hope it wasn’t the doe or Spike.

Update on this story:

I read the original story. Got me thinking of how the Hudson River - 100+ years ago - would freeze enough for many teams of horses to go on it while men harvested the ice. Yesterday and today I watched some ice flows drifting down the river on the tide. It’s always pretty much ice free with the ships and barges going up and down. If it does start freezing over, the Coast Guard ice breaker goes through and cuts a channel through it. Of course there are years when a lot of ice breaks loose from the streams and creeks and jams the river causing flooding. But that’s usually during the spring thaw and ice melt (April).
I wonder - without having read this updated article - if the injuries were from the seals trying to break through the ice? Or were they from other causes?