2019 Jan to Mar - Animal, Birds & Insects

If these guys are out…its spring!

Inquisitive%202

5 Likes

The chipmunks have been out a few days. I guess they wait until there are very few traces of snow left. :smile:

4 Likes

A sure sign of spring… The black bears have come out of hibernation - and are very, very hungry! A great blue heron was seen by my wife and I late this afternoon heading from the river back to its nesting sight to the southwest. And our chipmunk - who has been out and about (mostly to the bird seed beneath the pine tree) for the past few days. More and more woodpeckers, hawks (Red-tailed, Coopers and Red-shinned) have joined the rise in numbers and species of song birds. I think we’ll be getting the blue bird nesting boxes up and maybe hang out at least one hummingbird feeder (just in case). I’ve also been setting out a little raw honey in a tray since a few bees showed up yesterday morning and late afternoon. They must know something we don’t (other than it’s getting warmer). :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Wow you are getting many signs of spring! I did see a downy woodpecker the other day, got a photo.
And yesterday I saw several bluebirds. The canada geese have been on the move for a couple of weeks and I expect the snow geese will land soon before they take off north.

5 Likes

Aside from those Canada geese that wintered over at the river, there have been many formations flying overhead. I swear one of the geese at the river calls to each flight - like an air traffic controller. Most of them make a U-turn and land to “visit” for a while, but then continue on their way within an hour or so. I haven’t spent much time at the river, so I don’t know if there were any snow geese passing through. For that matter, I also haven’t been traveling about to check out all the fields where the geese love to congregate either. Must be slipping as I get older - or the days don’t have enough time in them. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

It seems our little (permanent) guest, the chipmunk, has decided we mean it no harm. Now it pretty much ignores us and lets us come right up to a couple feet 61 cm away from it. I was tossing out some bird seed this morning and he popped out from between the rocks beneath the pine tree, walked over under the hanging bird feeder and started stuffing his cheeks with seeds. He continued to do this while I tossed the seeds - even when I tossed some directly in front of him (nearly hit him with some). Once I did, he moved over to that seed and stuffed some in his cheeks until they were full. Then he scurried across the side lawn, down the driveway to his “new” entrance (right in the driveway) to his den and disappeared. Less than 1-1/2 minutes later he was back up, scurried back over to beneath the feeder and repeated. And this little does this non-stop from morning until night. I bet he has at least 10 pounds/4.5 kg of seed in his den! Another chipmunk at our daughter’s place of work has been busy digging up old peanuts buried last year. He carries them away and has made a pile of rotten peanuts right near the steps leading up to the business office. :rofl: My daughter and the other women working in the office take turns cleaning up and getting rid of the rotten peanuts - every day! I think this chipmunk stored more than it could eat. Don’t they know how to rotate their food supply? :rofl: Okay, I guess they do - on an annual basis. :wink:

4 Likes

@Jim7 check out the chipmunk in these photos:

4 Likes

I always wondered why bears seem to raid bird boxes… and feeders… it isn’t so much the seed… but they will take it… it IS the nice plump critters that do like the seed… and find themselves cornered in the ‘trap’s’ as MRE s. Which in itself is a reminder to fill some water sources… those meals re hydrate after you eat them… :bearded_person: :sunglasses:

5 Likes

The grizzlies at our local zoo came out of hibernation this last week. A little groggy still but wandering about.

4 Likes

Oh joy, it would appear we have another infestation of the Asian Lady Beetle. Just read on our local FB group a lot of people in the neighbourhood are asking if anyone else has them in their homes, congregating round their windows. My sister lives some 35 miles from me and she’s been complaining about her infestation for a few weeks now. Not had any myself…yet :grimacing:

4 Likes

The New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation (ENCON) announced today that people have until April 1st to take down their bird feeders because the black bears will be out in force - and very hungry! And I just bought 60 pounds/27 kg of seed - not including peanuts.

4 Likes

Do you still have the 9-Spotted Lady Beetles? Those are apparently being crowded out by competition of the Asian Lady Beetles here in the US. There’s even a campaign asking people to buy the larvae of the 9-Spotted Lady Beetles to release in their area in order to help them make a come-back. Last fall when my granddaughters were catching the lady beetles, I had them release the 9-Spotted ones (some only have 7 spots) and keep those without spots (Asian). - knowing full well that most of those they caught weren’t going to make it. :grinning:

3 Likes

Yes we do still have those, but for how long :disappointed:

3 Likes

Will they fine you? Arrest you? Put you in a bear trap?

4 Likes

This afternoon, after tossing out several handfuls of peanuts (already did the seed thing), I watched the chipmunk going back and forth from his den to the pine tree, filling up its cheek pouches and running back. I decided to time him. After 5 times of leaving its den (start time), running down the driveway to beneath the pine tree, filling its cheek pouches with peanuts, checking around for hawks and then running back up the driveway to it’s den… 74 seconds! From the time he ducked into his den, emptied his load and popped his head back up… 15 seconds! He repeated this until dusk. I bet he has about 5 pounds/2 kg of seed and 1/2-pound/0.2 kg of peanuts stashed in there already!

3 Likes

Feeding bears is illegal in New York - intentional and/or incidental/indirect (bird feeders/suet cages). As far as the incidental/indirect feeding goes, it becomes unlawful once DEC (NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation or ENCON as it is better known) issues a written warning. Here’s a link to ENCON’s website regarding New York State black bears. This page also has links to guides (PDFs), etc… They also have one or two in French that one can download.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/6995.html

3 Likes

The bears speak French?? :grinning::crazy_face::sunglasses::partying_face::nerd_face::face_with_monocle::thinking::hugs::crazy_face:

4 Likes

Sure! Especially those up by the Canadian border! We had a parrot who was bi-lingual… why not bears? :thinking:

3 Likes

S’il vous plaît garder les mangeoires. Publié par Bears Must Eat Coalition!

4 Likes

La Coalition des Ours Doit Manger. :frog:

4 Likes